PinePhone Developer edition
malvcr: The default password for the demo user for plasma images is 147147, this is labelled on the page where you download that image. (http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/)

Those images are only for testing, I recommend building an image with pmbootstrap for any production use.

The battery should trickle charge when the phone has power and the battery is inserted, the AXP803 has a charging mode for that.
(01-02-2020, 02:45 PM)MartijnBraam Wrote: malvcr: The default password for the demo user for plasma images is 147147, this is labelled on the page where you download that image. (http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/)

Those images are only for testing, I recommend building an image with pmbootstrap for any production use.

The battery should trickle charge when the phone has power and the battery is inserted, the AXP803 has a charging mode for that.

Thank you ... to be sincere, I really don't remember where I downloaded the image, as it is really confusing to arrive to any download page from Pine64 place.  And in that moment I didn't pay attention to any "password" or similar.  Later, when I was checking information, the pointers sent me to wherever but that download page, that I see it is very important.

Maybe in Pine64 somebody must track where are things going with all known distributions, and to keep some updated page for easy browsing.  Some type of "index" or "quick access" page ... for not to travel through a lot of independent forum threads that offer many different options (they are for discussion and in the discussions are real and fake things mixed).

By now I have been trying to understand the "phone" and to think on possibilities with it (I have several on mind by now).  I will try the pmbootstrap as I see is an important part on all this process.

And thanks for the good work :-)

About the battery, there is something I must check with more care.  For a lot of time the recharging phase never arrived to 100% (just 99%).  But yesterday I let the phone connected for several hours and it was really hot at 97%.  That is a sensitive detail in any mobile device.
Just some extra information that could be useful for people testing the phone using postmarketOS.

The modem name is "quectelqmi_1"

Commands of this type can interact with the modem using DBus:

dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.ofono /quectelqmi_1 org.ofono.Modem.GetProperties

When using the testing image it is useful to install qdbusviewer:

sudo apk add qt5-qdbusviewer

And, to execute it from a graphical terminal with X11 forwarding (the pinephone screen without the auto rotation is useless in this case).

In my case, I want to use the "ofono" interface directly without the included phone software.  I am not a fan of DBus but if there is no other way, is ok (by now).  Later I will embed some extra-secure software to protect the communication channels :-) ...
If you want to mess with the modem over dbus then you can install ofonoctl through pip3
(01-03-2020, 10:19 AM)malvcr Wrote: Maybe in Pine64 somebody must track where are things going with all known distributions, and to keep some updated page for easy browsing.  Some type of "index" or "quick access" page ... for not to travel through a lot of independent forum threads that offer many different options (they are for discussion and in the discussions are real and fake things mixed).

AFAIK Pine64 do not have any software staff - that is the responsibility of the community. There is a skeleton wiki page here in anticipation of folks updating it as they receive their phones - please add your experiences.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(01-06-2020, 09:34 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:19 AM)malvcr Wrote: Maybe in Pine64 somebody must track where are things going with all known distributions, and to keep some updated page for easy browsing.  Some type of "index" or "quick access" page ... for not to travel through a lot of independent forum threads that offer many different options (they are for discussion and in the discussions are real and fake things mixed).

AFAIK Pine64 do not have any software staff - that is the responsibility of the community. There is a skeleton wiki page here in anticipation of folks updating it as they receive their phones - please add your experiences.

OK ... I am taking your word.

First correction: the password for the demo user in postmarketOS is not "demo" but "147147".   First I will order my notes and then to modify such page for not to create a nightmare to the other readers.
I really have been trying to make the ofono part to work, with ofonoctl and other dbus based tools, but the phone seems to ignore a SIM card I am using on it ... it simple says me that there is no SIM card installed.

It is an old SIM I found around that never was used (I suppose the available is gone by now), but as a physical device it is in pristine conditions. At least the phone must find that there is a SIM card there, but no way. And the same card works well in an Alcatel phone with FirefoxOS.

As a reference, I first poweron the Quactel with "ofonoctl poweron" ... and the SIM manager appear ... but no SIM ... and later "ofonoctl online" as trying to do something else, but no SIM available.

Could be a phone physical problem? Does somebody else have been trying to make the telephony part to work having more success than me?
I was worried about the SIM, so I had a new one from a different telephone company ... and it works.  ( I still don't know why the previous one failed ... maybe the ofono layer is not managing well the corresponding error code).

With the ofonoctl I can send messages, although I have no idea where to receive them.

And the phone application in postmarketOS can make and receive calls, but with no audio involved (something is not yet connected).

There is something important with the phone.  It eats the battery very quickly and becomes really hot while recharging (I need to keep it connected when performing tests).  I suppose there is something running on the Linux that is not a good idea to keep working in a phone, or some working parameters are wrong.

At least there is a path to continue :-) ...
Just in case ... something is missing in the kernel configuration for testing kernel:

pine64-pinephone:/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1$ cat temp
cat: read error: Invalid argument
A question.

There is a fix for the USB-C port ... this is the "stupid" version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3jc7Mvn9Eo&t=1742s) ... however, I don't know if the Developer Edition has the same problem.

My phone has these parts, and the board is clean and sound ... just USB-C never worked as expected.

Could somebody corroborate if that fix can be done with this phone version?

Thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,094 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,523 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 460 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 382 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,601 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma