psion like keyboard discussion
Am I the only one who really wants an ortholinear layout? You don't have a typewriter mechanism to accomodate (see that picture, courtesy of here), so there is no reason at all to not align the rows. This generally bugs me to no end, as it is a lot easier to find the keys if they are on a straight grid. As an example, I find it much easier to type on a numpad Smile
A lot of mobile devices have indeed ortholinear keyboard layouts.

So, please consider aligning keys on a grid. If this proves controversial, I can create a new topic to discuss this.

Another nicety could be  (depending on the planned way to handle the keyboard) to replace the caps lock/shift/Alt.gr/Numlock with bumpers that can be held with the fingers if thumb-typing is planned (not compatible with 10 fingers typing, but you get the idea)

(12-25-2019, 02:24 PM)murak Wrote: A personal whish is a pointing device to use a mouse pointer. Maby like the trackpoint on a thinkpad or the small scroll wheel on the early HTC phones. Even a built in pen would be nice like the psion or N900. It would ad cost and complexity, so please don't take it too seriously.

Include a trackpad at the rear of the keyboard, like the PS vita Tongue
(just kidding, it would be nice but maybe too expensive).
Hey, I have a suggestion: a clam-shell style keyboard that functions similarly to a typical Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 ~ https://blog.notebooksbilliger.de/wp-con...2K9P9a.gif
The main advantage would be that non-keyboard use wouldn't be compromised. My main (and nearly sole) qualm with the design of the Gemini PDA keyboard is that vertical use is entirely inhibited due to not being able to get the keyboard out of the way. The situations where one format is superior to the other is highly various for me, so I'd appreciate somehow being able to swiftly choose how I interact with my device in this way.
(01-16-2020, 09:09 AM)M@yeulC Wrote: Am I the only one who really wants an ortholinear layout?

No! The ortholinear style not being standard bothers me to no end as well. While the various ergonomic layouts can be costly as far as how much space they take up, how easy they are to get used to, general mechanical complication, etc., ortholinear couldn't be any simpler. Just freaking align the rows. Save some space and get some free ergonomics.
I found this interesting video about the Lenovo LG V50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIXA9qjimzM

Just skip the start and scroll straight to 8:05

This device has a second clip-on screen that connects to the pogo pins on the back of the phone (Am I right in assuming the Pinphone has them as well?). It really clips on as easily as a phone cover and can be swivelled 360 degrees.

Linux supports multiscreens, so this should not be too difficult to implement on the software side.

The second screen can be used as a keyboard, but also as a trackpad, extended video viewing screen etc. The possibilities are endless.

In fact, on my desktop, in Linux Mint, I can just switch the on-screen keyboard under "Accessibility".
(02-10-2020, 07:19 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: Linux supports multiscreens, so this should not be too difficult to implement on the software side.

...but hardware side it is not possible using I2C pins on PinePhone.

However, a similar solution for a hardware keyboard would be fine. Smile
After watching this video, I think a built-in stylus or trackball would be handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyVfKvLpHY
(02-22-2020, 02:38 PM)nas Wrote: After watching this video, I think a built-in stylus or trackball would be handy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPyVfKvLpHY

When I get around to designing and printing a new back cover/case it will definitely include a stylus and a slot to hold it.  Probably similar to the n900 since that is what I'm familiar with.  I'll never understand why people believed Steve Jobs when he told them they didn't want a keyboard or stylus.  Definitely retards what would otherwise be a smart phone.
SD card ribbon extension built in the keyboard. This way you don't have to remove the keyboard unit from the device to swap out a SD card: Therefor reducing wear on the unit.
(04-21-2020, 08:49 AM)nas Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 10:06 PM)Aberts10 Wrote: SD card ribbon extension built in the keyboard. This way you don't have to remove the keyboard unit from the device to swap out a SD card: Therefor reducing wear on the unit.

Good idea, I wonder if the sim slot could also be extended this way.

The SIM should be much easier than the SD as it's slower. I've not checked whether the drive strength for the SD interface is accessible - it might need to be changed for driving an extender.
The back gets very hot under sustained load so i wonder whether some kind of cooling solution could be built into the case? Maybe something as simple as a metal heatsink exposed to the air behind a vent grille.
(05-13-2020, 04:32 PM)nas Wrote: The back gets very hot under sustained load so i wonder whether some kind of cooling solution could be built into the case? Maybe something as simple as a metal heatsink exposed to the air behind a vent grille.

It should be mostly solved after proper energy management will be implemented.
When the SoC is heavily working, it is normal to become warm anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,621 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 7,777 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 411 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 8,095 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 438 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,206 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 504 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 604 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM
  Use the Linux Console with the PinePhone Keyboard mburns 2 997 10-20-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: mburns
  How to disassemble Keyboard top and replace cables? elof 2 806 10-11-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: elof