Quick Question Wayland vs X
I've not yet received my Pinebook Pro yet, so some of this may be obvious once I begin to work with various images.

On these threads, I see a lot of discussion about the function and performance of different DEs - XFDE, KDE, Gnome 3 - and nearly all of these reference the state of Wayland and the Panfrost driver for Mali T860 MP.

My own experience with Wayland is reasonable. Enough to determine that it is promising, but not yet mature enough in support by all applications and cases for my daily use with Gnome 3. Especially scaling with XWayland, but also other controls and decorations rendering. 

Are there obstacles on the Pinebook Pro that make use of X11 sessions for DE problematic? Are they slower, or is image size noticeably more bloated? Does Panfrost have notable impediment driving X11?  X is stable and easily configurable since X.org took over from XFree86, and I'd prefer my configurations to eliminate issues that on these forums, seem to have Wayland or Panfrost complexities.

Building kernels is no great barrier for me. I'm liable to try alternatives to Panfrost if they are a compilation or modules.conf effort.

Thanks!
— Jeremiah
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
There should be no problems running Xorg on panfrost if you happen to prefer that over one of the Wayland compositors. I'm not going to tour all the different DEs (especially given I have been drinking the Wayland kool aid for long time now) but I can certainly confirm that "GNOME on Xorg" sessions work just fine.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(12-05-2019, 03:23 PM)danielt Wrote: There should be no problems running Xorg on panfrost if you happen to prefer that over one of the Wayland compositors. I'm not going to tour all the different DEs (especially given I have been drinking the Wayland kool aid for long time now) but I can certainly confirm that "GNOME on Xorg" sessions work just fine.

Thanks for your quick, informative response!

Another of my pets, is porting/running audio recording and MIDI software. Some of this stuff has UI toolkits that I was never satisfied with on earlier Wayland. It will be interesting to see what I might get done here, on PBP vs the RPi4 I've begun messing around with.
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
(12-07-2019, 12:07 AM)Jeremiah Cornelius Wrote: danielt

Thanks for your quick, informative response!

Another of my pets, is porting/running audio recording and MIDI software. Some of this stuff has UI toolkits that I was never satisfied with on earlier Wayland. It will be interesting to see what I might get done here, on PBP vs the RPi4 I've begun messing around with.

The arm version of reaver has been reported to run on the pbp.  I haven’t seen any regarding FOSS tools yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Managing cpu voltage and clock speeds question. FeMike 5 6,152 05-24-2021, 10:17 PM
Last Post: generaleramon
  glmark2 benchmark on wayland Henry 0 1,788 05-18-2021, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Henry
  chromium 87: wayland-native maxjrh 0 1,887 11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Question about graphics support mcc 11 15,117 10-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  Question for GNOME3 users tophneal 23 24,117 03-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  OS development question vfr400racer 4 4,435 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: vfr400racer
  Question to anyone with entire system on NVMe as400 11 10,078 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Quick Hint: Building Electron Apps kettek 4 5,865 11-04-2019, 01:17 AM
Last Post: Wizzard