An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
(01-04-2020, 08:14 AM)brent.thierens Wrote: You mentioned that other Debian-based images would work as well, so in order to install e.g. Ubuntu, the only thing necessary would be to edit the etc/apt/sources.list file right?

I might have to rephrase that bit...

Given the installer runs from an OS and installs an OS then "Ubuntu support" could mean that it runs from Ubuntu and can be used to install Debian or that it runs from Debian and can be used to install Ubuntu. In the initial port I was talking about the first of these.

However it should be relatively easy to modify the installer to install Debian but it is in the "exercise for the reader" category. Basically you would have to patch install-debian to modify the debootstrap command line and get it to install Ubuntu instead of Debian (look in blog posts for clues on how to do that). The other thing needed is to rebuild the kernel as a Ubuntu package. I've just kicked off a build for that and when it finished then tweaking the apt config file for the kernel should be all that's needed to get the installer to work.

I have no plans to work on this myself but I'm happy to help out (to the extent that I am can) if anyone else wants to take a crack at it.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(01-03-2020, 03:17 AM)PakoSt Wrote: I have no idea if KDE or the required packages from QT are built against gles2 on Debian.

I read somewhere that Panfrost implements OpenGL 2.1 in addition to GLES2. Is this not the case?
(01-02-2020, 01:19 PM)ljones Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 02:22 AM)siemsenit Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 09:12 AM)ljones Wrote: First thing I would like to try to get working (but do not know how) is 2D (xorg) and 3D (GPU) acceleration. If I'm reading things right the 3d requires something called "panfrost", is that correct? But what on earth does 2D acceleration require?

Panfrost is the kernel driver, no need for configuration, it's always active.
If you just install GNOME desktop via tasksel, everything works out of the box.
GNOME uses Wayland. X11 might be harder to configure with acceleration.

Intresting I wasn't aware that the debian packages now have wayland -- last time I checked it wasn't avaliable. I'll give that a go although I'm not really a gnome user; can wayland+kde be installed via a similar method?

Update: I tried gnome but window resizing still seems slooooow....x.x

Update 2: I did get wayland to work with KDE, but it crashes all the time!

ljones

I think gdm 3 ist required in order to use GNOME on Wayland. As I installed just GNOME in the first place, it was enabled automatically.
(01-04-2020, 08:20 PM)Solra Bizna Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 03:17 AM)PakoSt Wrote: I have no idea if KDE or the required packages from QT are built against gles2 on Debian.

I read somewhere that Panfrost implements OpenGL 2.1 in addition to GLES2. Is this not the case?

In short - for Qt and Plasma you will want es2 for best performance.

There is indeed OpenGL 2.1 functionality exposed in Panfrost. Not sure about the extent or if it is actively tested against. Desktop GL functionality is an extra from whatever the devs can enable. It's incredibly impressive and in some situations (games) it can be faster. But KDE isn't one of those instances.
(12-16-2019, 06:48 PM)zaius Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 03:34 AM)danielt Wrote: I've recently spent a little while hacking together a quick 'n dirty Debian installer for the Pinebook Pro.

https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...-installer
Curious, what are the advantages of this as opposed to the stock Debian build?

I'm using it because it allows full disk encryption using LUKS.  Also, it installs Debian Testing (aka bullseye, I guess it will be Debian 11?) instead of Debian 9 which is the stock Debian build.
Just a quick piece of information: Daniel publishes a kernel for Debian unstable, too, so it is possible to upgrade to unstable after using the installer.  The process is quite simple:

1. Make a backup!  Make a backup!  Make a backup!  (Yes, I ignored that advice -- I still have nearly no data on this machine, so I decided I could just reinstall.)
  2. Update "/etc/apt/sources.list" to reflect the new release.  There is one potential stumbling block.  I had multiple active lines in the file, one for the main packages, one for updates, and one for security.  The ones for updates and security don't exist for sid, so I ended up with a single active line in this file.
  3. Update "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kernel-obs.list" to reflect the new release.
I ended up with two active lines, one in sources.list and one in kernel-obs.list:

Code:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/danielthompson/Debian_Unstable ./

By "active line" I mean a line that isn't commented out, nor blank.

After this, "apt update"  and "apt full-upgrade" did the heavy lifting.
For those of you having trouble with displays via USB-C:
The installer seems to install from an old commit of https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/pinebook-firmware.
You can verify that a firmware file is missing by checking dmesg.

To fix the issue, clone the above repo and copy the "rockchip" folder into "/lib/firmware" of your installation (RootFS partition).
Then it should work as with the official Debian 9.
(01-09-2020, 11:56 PM)schanzen Wrote: For those of you having trouble with displays via USB-C:
The installer seems to install from an old commit of https://gitlab.manjaro.org/tsys/pinebook-firmware.
You can verify that a firmware file is missing by checking dmesg.

To fix the issue, clone the above repo and copy the "rockchip" folder into "/lib/firmware" of your installation (RootFS partition).
Then it should work as with the official Debian 9.

Well, not really:

Code:
$ dmesg |grep firm
[    0.000000] psci: PSCIv1.0 detected in firmware.
[    4.397968] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[    5.022043] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    5.431101] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[    7.511260] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[   11.591074] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
[   19.634138] ARM_SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1 missing from firmware
[   19.894517] bluetooth hci1: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM4345C5.hcd failed with error -2

Code:
/lib/firmware/brcm$ ls
brcmfmac43456-sdio.bin  brcmfmac43456-sdio.clm_blob  brcmfmac43456-sdio.pine64,pinebook-pro.txt  brcmfmac43456-sdio.txt

Code:
/lib/firmware/rockchip$ ls
dptx.bin
Thanks @schanzen !

This might not be the problem causing trouble for @wasgurd but it is definitely something missing in the installer. Looks like I applied this by hand to my own install and forgot to go back and update the installer to match.

I'll see if I can take a look at this over the weekend (although github PRs for things like this are very welcome if anyone wants to beat me to it).
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(01-10-2020, 04:48 AM)danielt Wrote: Thanks @schanzen !

This might not be the problem causing trouble for @wasgurd but it is definitely something missing in the installer. Looks like I applied this by hand to my own install and forgot to go back and update the installer to match.

I'll see if I can take a look at this over the weekend (although github PRs for things like this are very welcome if anyone wants to beat me to it).

https://github.com/daniel-thompson/pineb...ler/pull/7 Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 833 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,451 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,078 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,156 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,014 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,176 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,979 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,268 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,153 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,449 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock