An unofficial Debian Installer for Pinebook Pro
(08-09-2020, 06:50 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 01:30 PM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Installed debian for LUKS via the Thompson installer.
After doing apt update and upgrade at this point in time something breaks the system and it won't boot.
Anyone else having the same issue?

I had Debian installed on my PBP since AFAIK late January or early February, few days after I got it in the mail. The only times when system completely failed to boot was when I tried installing kernel from Debian's main repositories instead of danielt's repo. I still keep a microSD card handy with another Debian install that I barely touch, that way I can always boot from it if I need to recover the main system on eMMC. When I need to recover I just boot off microSD, chroot into eMMC, and make necessary repairs (usually switching the default boot item in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf is sufficient). As to the updates - all I can recommend is pay attention to the packages being installed or (especially) removed. Also make sure you have up-to-date u-boot, as older versions don't bring up big cores correctly and the system may appear as if it is not booting for IIRC few minutes because it is too slow.

(08-08-2020, 07:00 PM)pine76 Wrote: Hi,

I am a new pinebook pro user and very excited to set up this machine to match my workflow. I was not happy with Manjaro KDE that came with default flash drive. So, I ended up switching to Debian testing using a micro sd card. Currently, Manjaro KDE is in the flash and I am using Debian Bullseye (Gnome). I am having some problems.

1. When I shut down the computer for a while and boot (let's say after an hour); Manjaro KDE on the flash comes instead of the Debian on the micro sd. How can I prevent this?

2. My output device is set to "Headphone - Built-in Audio" by default in the sound settings of Gnome even though no headphone is connected. I am not sure if this would be the correct setting. If not, how can I set it to the correct one? I checked the alternative device and I have the other option as "Multichannel Output - Built-in Audio". Are these settings correct? If not, how can I set the sound card correctly?

3. After hitting the gdm and login to my account. I am hearing strange "poff" noises. Are these related to my sound card settings? How can I prevent this noise? It becomes annoying after a while and I want to learn the reason.

I would be appreciative of receiving any help or suggestions.

Best,

I forgot to ask about the display settings. On the Manjaro KDE plasma the screen was flickering with black screen occasionally. Debian testing feels much better. However, it flickers sometimes. Would you recommend anything to make the display better?

1. Install Debian onto eMMC :-D
Jokes aside - Manjaro is keeping more up-to-date with hardware-specific developments on PBP, but unless you're using A1-class microSD your system will run faster of eMMC, so if you prefer Debian over Manjaro (like I do) - just install it on eMMC. But keep a working microSD handy for recovery purposes.

I am hesitant to install my os of choice onto emmc for a few reasons. First, 64 gb is small space for my files and I will not fit there no matter how much I downsize. I am planning to use pinebook as a daily productivity machine, not for casual traveling companion. Second is Manjaro is the default OS that came with pinebook; in spite of the fact that I am unhappy with Manjaro, I prefer to keep it if possible due to it being the choice of pinebook.

The SD card I am currently using is a 256 GB Samsung Evo Plus; I bought it with a hope that I could use it as my main drive. I am not sure if it is A1 class (it was saying class 10 or something) and I am unsure which one is faster. But the storage amount is 4x more and it is a feature I was looking for. Samsung Evo Plus feels fast enough and I am not feeling any difference in opening my files etc.

2. Someone else will have to help you here - I forgot when was the last time I even used sound on my PBP...

I am guessing it was a driver problem. I am using past tense because I have switched to Fedora 32 Workstation. I had to choose between Debian Bullseye and Fedora 32; I opted for Fedora because fedora is doing better in giving an out of the box experience; it recognized my card, keyboard and fixed the black screen flickering that I observe in the default Manjaro KDE. It is a bit heavier than Bullseye gnome but otherwise I am more satisfied with Fedora than other oses including the default Manjaro KDE for the time being.

3. If you're talking about popping sounds I think it may have something to do with audio device power state toggling. I have heard those on PBP and quite a few other laptops even with sound muted. It is indeed annoying, though it never bothered me enough to actively search for a solution, if you find one - please share it with everyone.

The popping sound is also gone with Fedora 32. I am keeping an eye on it though in case I experience it with Fedora workstation as well. I will let you know if I find a solution.

4. Sorry, never observed any screen flickering. I'm on kernel 5.7.4-0.40-1-pinebookpro-hwaccel built using pbp-tools by xmixahlx@ with Mesa 20.1.4-1 from Debian repos.

Flickering is gone with Fedora Workstation (gnome). However, I am frequently experiencing this with Manjaro KDE whenever I boot into emms. At some stage, my display ended up turning into a white color in default Manjaro KDE, whatevery that is...

I really don't think Manjaro is a good choice for a default os on a laptop; but it is pbp decision. For the time being I am doing much better with Fedora. I may come back to Debian if the rough edges are gone. Fedora is my choice now and I am using it on my Samsung sd card with the boot problem. It is best I can get for the time being.

I was not expecting any hardware problems with a machine built for linux. I was hoping to have a fresh air from the MS Windows loaded pcs and converting them to linuxes. I guess I was wrong...
(08-09-2020, 09:43 PM)pine76 Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 06:50 PM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 01:30 PM)GloriousCoffee Wrote: Installed debian for LUKS via the Thompson installer.
After doing apt update and upgrade at this point in time something breaks the system and it won't boot.
Anyone else having the same issue?

I had Debian installed on my PBP since AFAIK late January or early February, few days after I got it in the mail. The only times when system completely failed to boot was when I tried installing kernel from Debian's main repositories instead of danielt's repo. I still keep a microSD card handy with another Debian install that I barely touch, that way I can always boot from it if I need to recover the main system on eMMC. When I need to recover I just boot off microSD, chroot into eMMC, and make necessary repairs (usually switching the default boot item in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf is sufficient). As to the updates - all I can recommend is pay attention to the packages being installed or (especially) removed. Also make sure you have up-to-date u-boot, as older versions don't bring up big cores correctly and the system may appear as if it is not booting for IIRC few minutes because it is too slow.

(08-08-2020, 07:00 PM)pine76 Wrote: Hi,

I am a new pinebook pro user and very excited to set up this machine to match my workflow. I was not happy with Manjaro KDE that came with default flash drive. So, I ended up switching to Debian testing using a micro sd card. Currently, Manjaro KDE is in the flash and I am using Debian Bullseye (Gnome). I am having some problems.

1. When I shut down the computer for a while and boot (let's say after an hour); Manjaro KDE on the flash comes instead of the Debian on the micro sd. How can I prevent this?

2. My output device is set to "Headphone - Built-in Audio" by default in the sound settings of Gnome even though no headphone is connected. I am not sure if this would be the correct setting. If not, how can I set it to the correct one? I checked the alternative device and I have the other option as "Multichannel Output - Built-in Audio". Are these settings correct? If not, how can I set the sound card correctly?

3. After hitting the gdm and login to my account. I am hearing strange "poff" noises. Are these related to my sound card settings? How can I prevent this noise? It becomes annoying after a while and I want to learn the reason.

I would be appreciative of receiving any help or suggestions.

Best,

I forgot to ask about the display settings. On the Manjaro KDE plasma the screen was flickering with black screen occasionally. Debian testing feels much better. However, it flickers sometimes. Would you recommend anything to make the display better?

1. Install Debian onto eMMC :-D
Jokes aside - Manjaro is keeping more up-to-date with hardware-specific developments on PBP, but unless you're using A1-class microSD your system will run faster of eMMC, so if you prefer Debian over Manjaro (like I do) - just install it on eMMC. But keep a working microSD handy for recovery purposes.

I am hesitant to install my os of choice onto emmc for a few reasons. First, 64 gb is small space for my files and I will not fit there no matter how much I downsize. I am planning to use pinebook as a daily productivity machine, not for casual traveling companion. Second is Manjaro is the default OS that came with pinebook; in spite of the fact that I am unhappy with Manjaro, I prefer to keep it if possible due to it being the choice of pinebook.

The SD card I am currently using is a 256 GB Samsung Evo Plus; I bought it with a hope that I could use it as my main drive. I am not sure if it is A1 class (it was saying class 10 or something) and I am unsure which one is faster. But the storage amount is 4x more and it is a feature I was looking for. Samsung Evo Plus feels fast enough and I am not feeling any difference in opening my files etc.

2. Someone else will have to help you here - I forgot when was the last time I even used sound on my PBP...

I am guessing it was a driver problem. I am using past tense because I have switched to Fedora 32 Workstation. I had to choose between Debian Bullseye and Fedora 32; I opted for Fedora because fedora is doing better in giving an out of the box experience; it recognized my card, keyboard and fixed the black screen flickering that I observe in the default Manjaro KDE. It is a bit heavier than Bullseye gnome but otherwise I am more satisfied with Fedora than other oses including the default Manjaro KDE for the time being.

3. If you're talking about popping sounds I think it may have something to do with audio device power state toggling. I have heard those on PBP and quite a few other laptops even with sound muted. It is indeed annoying, though it never bothered me enough to actively search for a solution, if you find one - please share it with everyone.

The popping sound is also gone with Fedora 32. I am keeping an eye on it though in case I experience it with Fedora workstation as well. I will let you know if I find a solution.

4. Sorry, never observed any screen flickering. I'm on kernel 5.7.4-0.40-1-pinebookpro-hwaccel built using pbp-tools by xmixahlx@ with Mesa 20.1.4-1 from Debian repos.

Flickering is gone with Fedora Workstation (gnome). However, I am frequently experiencing this with Manjaro KDE whenever I boot into emms. At some stage, my display ended up turning into a white color in default Manjaro KDE, whatevery that is...

I really don't think Manjaro is a good choice for a default os on a laptop; but it is pbp decision. For the time being I am doing much better with Fedora. I may come back to Debian if the rough edges are gone. Fedora is my choice now and I am using it on my Samsung sd card with the boot problem. It is best I can get for the time being.

I was not expecting any hardware problems with a machine built for linux. I was hoping to have a fresh air from the MS Windows loaded pcs and converting them to linuxes. I guess I was wrong...
I am just updating the previous post that I have still the "poff" noises with Fedora, but somewhat less noticeable. Otherwise, everything else work well.

I am just guessing the screen going black is due to laptop running out of resources; it happened once in Fedora too. I guess reasonable to expect this from time to time.

Fedora Gnome feels heavy on resources. I wish they ported xfce instead. Nevertheless, I will stay with Fedora for a while. I hope to switch back to Debian Bullseye sometime, which feels lighter.
Audio and the dimmer switches break on debian along with some usb c stuff. Any good guidance on how to fix that?
>Fedora Gnome feels heavy on resources. I wish they ported xfce instead.
I don't know why you would think you are "stuck" on gnome?
Yes, it may be well polished but there are perhaps 20 other window managers out there (wm)
And, if you are using a display manager (sddm, lightdm, gdm, xdm) there will be a chooser menu,
so you can select if you want plasma, lxde, xfce, icewm, black box, next step, mate, fvwm and on .....
open box is quite light, the wm of puppy amongst others
(08-10-2020, 09:08 AM)Atton Wrote: Audio and the dimmer switches break on debian along with some usb c stuff. Any good guidance on how to fix that?

At least for the brightness keys and I believe some USB C stuff there is info in wiki - IIRC you need to install some firmware.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(08-10-2020, 09:52 AM)wdt Wrote: >Fedora Gnome feels heavy on resources. I wish they ported xfce instead.
I don't know why you would think you are "stuck" on gnome?
Yes, it may be well polished but there are perhaps 20 other window managers out there (wm)
And, if you are using a display manager (sddm, lightdm, gdm, xdm) there will be a chooser menu,
so you can select if you want plasma, lxde, xfce, icewm, black box, next step, mate, fvwm  and on .....
open box is quite light, the wm of puppy amongst others

I have tried using wm in the past and I used an openbox wm and i3 for a while. They are ok except that I am not sure if I can find my way to tweak it as a productivity environment.

I was checking out wm again and I saw about sway, which seems interesting. I could use it, I will check out its wiki and see what it is about. I am guessing with sway or i3 I will not have a network manager or bluetooth connection. I hope to have a workaround for them. Also, I need an email client for my gmail account. Emacs would be a solution for that.

The usual problem i faced with wm is lack of enough documentation. I see some information on the sway website but I doubt it will be enough. Do you have other recommendation to lookfor information/help?

Update: I switched back to Debian Bullseye Gnome again after a while . I am having difficulty in choosing one as Fedora seemed very heavy on resources. Same for Bullseye now, I setup my Gmail account and evolution calendar is chewing up my processors. I missed that with Fedora Workstation.
When I typed wm I didn't mean window maker, many window managers
have names that end in "wm",, I certainly would NOT recommend twm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager, reasonably complete list at bottom
If you "roll your own", well yes you have to polish and tweak a bit
(08-11-2020, 09:17 AM)wdt Wrote: When I typed wm I didn't mean window maker, many window managers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager, reasonably complete list at bottom

Ah Ok I should has written in plural as in wms...

No, I haven't used window maker. I have some with openbox experience back in the crunchbang# days and some i3 tiling window manager when I was on fedora.

I may consider sway on my new installed debian bullseye gnome. Gdm is wayland capable afaik so it can be a good option for me.

Well, tweaking when using as a word seem so innocent and simple. Unfortunately many of the window managers come with insufficient documentation that can allow a newcomer to "tweak" the environment for her/his productivity needs. Additionally many of the window managers seem dated. I don't want to use a window manager that is optimized for software from 80s or 90s. Another reason I am curious to try "Sway" window manager, which seems relatively recent.

I just made a workaround in my Gnome desktop and prevented "Evolution Calendar" from eating up my battery and cpus. I installed Thunderbird and switched to it.

I guess I will check out sway on Debian and see if I can find additional documentation besides the sway wiki...

(08-11-2020, 09:40 AM)pine76 Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 09:17 AM)wdt Wrote: When I typed wm I didn't mean window maker, many window managers

Ah Ok I should has written in plural as in wms...

No, I haven't used window maker. I have some with openbox experience back in the crunchbang# days and some i3 tiling window manager when I was on fedora.

I may consider sway on my new installed debian bullseye gnome. Gdm is wayland capable afaik so it can be a good option for me.

Well, tweaking when using as a word seem so innocent and simple. Unfortunately many of the window managers come with insufficient documentation that can allow a newcomer to "tweak" the environment for her/his productivity needs. Additionally many of the window managers seem dated. I don't want to use a window manager that is optimized for software from 80s or 90s. Another reason I am curious to try "Sway" window manager, which seems relatively recent.

I just made a workaround in my Gnome desktop and prevented "Evolution Calendar" from eating up my battery and cpus. I installed Thunderbird and switched to it.

I guess I will check out sway on Debian and see if I can find additional documentation besides the sway wiki...
Just to your information Sway website is below:

https://swayvm.org

Does anyone have experience with setting up sway on Debian Bullseye? How difficult it is to make it work on a basic level? Can I have wifi and bluetooth capabilities with it, eg via a bluetooth network manager?

Just realized the website link is not working. Here is the wiki page below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_(window_manager)

If you have experience with sway and know how to set it up, would be interested hearing your experience.
I have no experience with wayland, 13, or sway
You were going on about xfce,
On debian apt-cache search task- ,,
there is task-lxde and task-xfce, both meta packages
Not like you're going to fill up your SD
(08-11-2020, 11:26 AM)wdt Wrote: I have no experience with wayland, 13, or sway
You were going on about xfce,
On debian apt-cache search task- ,,
there is task-lxde and task-xfce, both meta packages
Not like you're going to fill up your SD

Ok no prob. I will try to figure out. I found a debian wiki on sway and there is also the official wiki.

I was hoping to use xfce but it has some rough edges too. Particularly the bluetooth manager. According to debian wiki there are gnome-bluetooth, bluedevil and blueman as options to install on repositories. Both bluedevil and gnome-bluetooth are heavy on dependencies (to kde and gnome). I tried gnome-bluetooth to work with xfce but no success.

After googling a bit I figured out blueman is my best bet. I installed it on xfce rebooted. I had the bluetooth icon; however, I wasn't able to pair it with my headphone set. Blueman needs to be maintained as it feels dated. 

Having lack of bluetooth manager made me switch to gnome. Additionally, both gnome and xfce seem to have problems with soundcard; gnome feels troublesome than xfce. 

I am just puzzled with pinebook pro. The default Manjaro KDE is not usable to me, but looks good. If you want another linux operating system, you end up having troubles as if you are converting a MS Pc to linux. I would expect the keyboard layout keys, sound card drivers etc. to be available in any linux flavour. It doesn't seem that way in Debian. Fedora does not have those problems but bluetooth is troublesome with Fedora...

If I could pass the bluetooth problem, I could consider XFCE but Gnome feels very usable right now. I will try to add Sway window manager; If I can make it to work with wifi and bluetooth manager, I will use it as my main productivity enviroment. Otherwise I will stay with Gnome now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 962 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,505 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,118 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,185 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,356 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,209 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 4,017 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,332 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,226 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,462 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock