Increase Screensavers FPS
I've been attempting to improve the performance of screensavers on my Pinebook Pro, but I need some help.

Screensaver: GLMatrix (xscreensaver-gl)

Default Settings: (/usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix -fps)
8-10 FPS
70-75% CPU

Current Settings: (/usr/bin/gl4es /usr/lib/xscreensaver/gl4matrix -fps)
14-20 FPS
45-55% CPU

I created the following bash script in ~/.local/lib/xscreensaver named "glesmatrix" and made it executable (chmod +x ./glesmatrix)

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
set -e

/usr/bin/gl4es /usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix ${@}

I copied /usr/share/applications/screensavers/glmatrix.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/screensavers/glesmatrix.desktop and modified it as follows.
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=GLESMatrix
Exec=/home/jholz88/.local/lib/xscreensaver/glesmatrix -fps -root
;TryExec=/usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix
Comment=Draws 3D dropping characters similar to what is seen in the title sequence of "The Matrix". See also "xmatrix" for a 2D rendering of the similar effect that appeared on the computer monitors actually *in* the movie. Written by Jamie Zawinski.
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Screensaver;
OnlyShowIn=MATE;

This is where I'm stuck. The new GLESMatrix entry shows up in mate-screensaver-preferences, but fails to start the screensaver in the preview window.

Things I've Tried:
* Killing mate-screensaver and re-running it with --debug.
No dice.

* Change Exec= to "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gl4es /usr/lib/xscreensaver/glmatrix -fps -root"
Nah ah ah. You didn't say the magic word.

* Exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/gl4es
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass…and I'm all out of bubblegum.

So yea, if anyone could help me figure this out I'd be much appreciated. It would apparently 2x the performance and 1/2 the CPU usage. Not to mention saving battery life.