Where are the HW kill switches located?
I see in the description of the phone that there are hardware kill switches for wireless, camera, microphone, etc.

But I don't see where these are located on the device. The pictures only show power and volume buttons.
Somewhere in the description it also says that there will only be three buttons.

So... how does that work?
(12-01-2019, 08:45 PM)WaldoTheRanger Wrote: I see in the description of the phone that there are hardware kill switches for wireless, camera, microphone, etc.

But I don't see where these are located on the device. The pictures only show power and volume buttons.
Somewhere in the description it also says that there will only be three buttons.

So... how does that work?

They're under the rear cover.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...figuration
Quote:They're under the rear cover.

That's not a good idea. For instance, there are situations when you want to make sure your camera and mic are off, but others where you definitely need them. It would be silly having to open the back cover each time your requirement changes.
I'd like to see the important kill switches at the side of the phone.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
You can remove the rear cover with just your fingernail.
**  Then the switches are pretty obvious,  see the pictures in the wiki.
 ****   IF you MUST have them on the outside of the case,     ...    They are on the outside on a Libre5....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-31-2019, 03:12 AM)bcnaz Wrote: You can remove the rear cover with just your fingernail.
**  Then the switches are pretty obvious,  see the pictures in the wiki.
 ****   IF you MUST have them on the outside of the case,     ...    They are on the outside on a Libre5....

So I also really don't understand the reason to have the hw switches covered all the time. I hope that this applies only for dev versions. As it was mentioned sometimes you want to quickly turn on or off some of the switches - it's very inconvenient to have them behind the cover.
The switches are on a DIP switch block under the battery cover for two main reasons:

1: To keep the switches from being accidentally flipped in your pocket (or when handling the phone, etc)
2: Keep costs down. To have more buttons (or worse, switches) on the outside of the case increases the complexity of the moldings, and also adds need for more circuit boards and wiring to those boards. Those added production costs would end up translated to the purchase cost for everyone.

(12-31-2019, 07:24 AM)p1trson Wrote: So I also really don't understand the reason to have the hw switches covered all the time. I hope that this applies only for dev versions. As it was mentioned sometimes you want to quickly turn on or off some of the switches - it's very inconvenient to have them behind the cover.

The current dev unit design is identical to the Braveheart and production units, other than changes to antennas.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

Remember :

This is a Linux phone, so it is 'much less likely' that an outsider will be able to gain access,  .... that is until you start adding your IOS and Google software.

The Libre5 phone has external security switches,  but it has been very disappointing in the reviews I have seen so far.  AND it costs over $550 (USD) more.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Hello,

yes - I'm not interested in Librem. I have ordered the braveheart version few hours ago, can't wait to have it !

Back to the subject - I'd be happy with back cover enabled to quickly access the switches, e.g separate part to be possible to be opened, exactly where the switches are - without a need to remove whole cover. Such approach should not be too complicated to implement it ?

Can also imagine that when removing the back cover too often, something will brake sooner or later.
* Ok, perhaps an oval rubber plug ? (if there is a bit of inside clearance)
a hinged cover would likely be kind of complex to build/install.
or a slide cover with the tracks on the outside, just thoughts...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB-C CC pins are pulled to the GND by AW3512 (VCONN switches) when VCONN is off fsflover 41 50,186 06-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: feklee
  Is the PinePhone only Pine-device with hardware switches? harrm 1 2,156 01-23-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Only enable modem when needed with kill switches sokolgeo 2 4,000 09-20-2020, 04:40 AM
Last Post: sokolgeo
  hardware switch wishlist/discussion - switches on the outside? mypine 7 7,252 04-12-2020, 10:40 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Kill switches blicken 2 3,749 02-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Last Post: wibble