how I "fixed" Chromium crashing on accessing settings
I could not sign in and sync my chromium preferences because Chromium crashes when I access "settings". So I installed the snap version of Chromium and now can sync my account and change all preferences. The snap version is a bit slower but usable.
(11-28-2019, 10:15 AM)richfm Wrote: I could not sign in and sync my chromium preferences because Chromium crashes when I access "settings". So I installed the snap version of Chromium and now can sync my account and change all preferences. The snap version is a bit slower but usable.

There's a better way to do this. Exit Chromium entirely from the menu so it's not running, open a terminal and run `/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser`. This launches the chromium binary directly with no command-line flags and will be slow, but the settings page will work and your settings will persist after this session. Make any settings changes you need then exit chrome and re-start it from the gui as normal, your settings will be in place.
It is still a mystery to me why Chromium would crash right in the settings just because you force a user agent...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(11-28-2019, 01:40 PM)xalius Wrote: It is still a mystery to me why Chromium would crash right in the settings just because you force a user agent...

Is that the flag that's causing the crashes? That's so easy to address with an extension instead of a flag Confused

My god you're right, that's what's crashing it ....Wow.

To anyone who wants to "fix" this permanently:

This will do the same job:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...pkjnoahfmg

Just grab the user-agent string from chrome://version and create a new user-agent string to spoof under the extension options, then turn that on and you're done. You'll need to edit the Chrome version periodically to use sites like hbogo that require "the latest version of chrome" but otherwise it works flawlessly.

You'll need to move/remove whatever file configures the user-agent in this directory: /etc/chromium-browser/customizations - restart chrome and the settings page will work.
(11-28-2019, 12:45 PM)Arglebargle Wrote:
(11-28-2019, 10:15 AM)richfm Wrote: I could not sign in and sync my chromium preferences because Chromium crashes when I access "settings". So I installed the snap version of Chromium and now can sync my account and change all preferences. The snap version is a bit slower but usable.

There's a better way to do this. Exit Chromium entirely from the menu so it's not running, open a terminal and run `/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser`. This launches the chromium binary directly with no command-line flags and will be slow, but the settings page will work and your settings will persist after this session. Make any settings changes you need then exit chrome and re-start it from the gui as normal, your settings will be in place.

Thanks for yoiur help. I reinstalled chromium from the repository and when I ran it, it retained all my preferences from the snap version. So I uninstalled the snap version because it was slower.
How were you able to reinstall chromium from the repository? I have tried several times and all I get is a big blue box where the browser window would be, or nothing at all.
Here's the latest contents of the update script - including the packages which will work:
https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem
(12-02-2019, 11:42 AM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: Here's the latest contents of the update script - including the packages which will work:
https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem

Cool thanks for that. Is that just a straight forward download and install via CLI or the Gdebi manager? ( I am on the stock image)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ungoogled Chromium on a Pinebook Pro won't run - OpenGL errors? pinemouth 2 2,661 12-09-2021, 02:23 PM
Last Post: pinemouth
Lightbulb Hardware video acceleration in Chromium on Manjaro siemsenit 3 4,207 06-01-2021, 09:51 AM
Last Post: siemsenit
Question Graphical Glitch in Settings sciolus 4 5,162 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Last Post: sciolus
  chromium 87: wayland-native maxjrh 0 1,897 11-26-2020, 11:08 AM
Last Post: maxjrh
  Network settings, where to find the config files? hvdkooij 1 2,787 11-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: xyzzy
  Pinebook pro crashing when put to sleep?? [Manjaro] edward 13 13,268 11-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Chromium Not allowing google login sititahwsi22 1 2,712 11-07-2020, 03:35 PM
Last Post: regivanx
  Saving ALSA settings? Baslow 9 9,486 09-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Last Post: brzegorz
  KWin keeps crashing boudha 5 7,019 09-02-2020, 09:06 AM
Last Post: brad2723
  Focal on Bionic Using Chroot - Chromium / Snapd Issues charlespine 0 1,843 06-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Last Post: charlespine