anyone has any success in creating a media center with this yet?
(05-03-2016, 07:53 AM)montero65 Wrote: I've only been using Android so far, haven't tried out Remix yet. I tried using my HDD, but as mentioned, board wasn't powerful enough to keep it running. So I've got a powered USB hub on the way that I hope should fix the problem. The thread I linked in my last post seems to indicate that solved other peoples issues as well.
Ahh, yeah my external is powered, so I guess no worries there. I'm also using a hub, but just for my non power hungry peripherals. I plan on mounting it to the case the board is in for convenience.
I have mine set up as a media pc, but when i run the Foxtel Go (Aus pay-tv app) it tells me it wont work with a external display. Have tried android and remix and no luck on either. any suggestions?
Doesn't work as it should, at least passthrough on Android is full of hiccups and the ethernet doesn't work in Gigabit, so yeah, if you want a alpha-state media center, good luck! Android is slow and yes, I have a good microsd card (Samsung EVO+ 32GB), the animations skip a lot of frames, I was expecting more.

Nothing on this board works fine, except linux thanks to longsleep, I tried ubuntu xenial and it was really great for an headless server.
(06-09-2016, 05:19 AM)fneves Wrote: Doesn't work as it should, at least passthrough on Android is full of hiccups and the ethernet doesn't work in Gigabit, so yeah, if you want a alpha-state media center, good luck! Android is slow and yes, I have a good microsd card (Samsung EVO+ 32GB), the animations skip a lot of frames, I was expecting more.

Nothing on this board works fine, except linux thanks to longsleep, I tried ubuntu xenial and it was really great for an headless server.

Not technical at all but i think android works pretty well.. I've been using Kodi and browser etc, and its been pretty good.
Any particular setting you use guys with Kodi on Android?
I haven't got to stream 1080p material over the internet yet. There are cut offs and buffering every few seconds which ruin the experience. Not sure if it's a HW limitation (probably it isn't as some of you have managed to stream FHD) or the known issue with GBe but I can stream up to 720p. It's just 1080p not watchable.

I have unchecked HW acceleration in Kodi settings which strangely it's something I think has helped but am not sure what else I should try.
(06-09-2016, 10:01 AM)ajsullivan Wrote:
(06-09-2016, 05:19 AM)fneves Wrote: Doesn't work as it should, at least passthrough on Android is full of hiccups and the ethernet doesn't work in Gigabit, so yeah, if you want a alpha-state media center, good luck! Android is slow and yes, I have a good microsd card (Samsung EVO+ 32GB), the animations skip a lot of frames, I was expecting more.

Not technical at all but i think android works pretty well.. I've been using Kodi and browser etc, and its been pretty good.

Well, not for me. Ethernet doesn't work and sound passthrough doesn't work also.
I've tried Android and RemixOS. I've tried KODI on both, and VLC. I've tried ethernet and WiFi. Neither can handle big .mkv files without near constant stuttering issues. Hope they get the issues worked out, guess I'll keep up with my Raspberry Pi until then.
(07-07-2016, 06:06 PM)phelper Wrote: I've tried Android and RemixOS.   I've tried KODI on both, and VLC.  I've tried ethernet and WiFi.  Neither can handle big .mkv files without near constant stuttering issues.  Hope they get the issues worked out, guess I'll keep up with my  Raspberry Pi until then.

Please advise on "big" MKV file? Check whether MPlayer can handles. If positive, switch your Kodi setup to native playback.
(07-08-2016, 12:25 PM)tllim Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 06:06 PM)phelper Wrote: I've tried Android and RemixOS.   I've tried KODI on both, and VLC.  I've tried ethernet and WiFi.  Neither can handle big .mkv files without near constant stuttering issues.  Hope they get the issues worked out, guess I'll keep up with my  Raspberry Pi until then.

Please advise on "big" MKV file? Check whether MPlayer can handles. If positive, switch your Kodi setup to native playback.

No luck either with Mplayer, just keeps buffering every few seconds.  Files are about 6GB.  Couldn't find a Kodi native playback selection, will look more or google it.  

Thanks, I appreciate your response.
(07-08-2016, 06:06 PM)phelper Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 12:25 PM)tllim Wrote:

No luck either with Mplayer, just keeps buffering every few seconds.  Files are about 6GB.  Couldn't find a Kodi native playback selection, will look more or google it.  

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

6GB is not a big file, and I have try out several MKV file in 720p or 1080p H.264 format and plays well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Media Player setup clobeca 1 3,414 07-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Utter disappointment makes Pine64 Useless as Media player papsnoek 11 14,323 08-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Last Post: papsnoek
  Success story - Debian + ZWave eljatul 4 5,829 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: eljatul
  Pine Media Remote mesaxi 3 4,825 07-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Last Post: mesaxi