Trackpad firmware update
That is strange, because the way that I know that the firmware is persistent is that the name of the device also changed from "HAILUCK ... Ltd." to "Pinebook Pro Touchpad" or similar. This is across different operating systems, too.
(09-06-2020, 09:27 AM)via Wrote: I've been using the firmware update from jackhumbert, and it vastly improves my touchpad experience, but it doesn't seem to persist a reboot. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm using debian from the pinebook pro installer.  Its not like the firmware somehow is getting reverted, because if I modify the updater to purely enter boot mode and then do a reset (skipping the actual firmware flashing), the touchpad is suddenly usable and great again.  As far as I can tell, nothing is different when Xorg detects the device the second time -- the logs indicate the same parameters with respect to acceleration, the only thing that changes is the ID (event11 instead of event7 in my case), probably because its rediscovered.

I'm tempted to just trigger this on my xsession.

That is very strange. What bad touchpad behavior are you seeing? Does it appear immediately on reboot? Does the reset permanently improve the behavior until another reboot?

The issue I occasionally experience which is fixed by a reset or reboot I suspect to be an issue inherent to the touchpad firmware. I have noticed that sometimes the touchpad will get itself in a "bad state" where it gets overly sensitive and constantly thinks there's touch events even when I'm not touching it.
Just by the nature that firmware is persistent to the hardware, and the operating system software is independent of the of the firmware, perhaps you have a settings problem within the operating system...
( Just my observation)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Is this update required for PBP shipping mid Oct 2020?
I tried running the updater from https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...d-updater/ on ANSI PBP shipped 10/2020.  After first step finished, key mapping was wrong and trackpad did not work.  Step 2 results in :

>>> Trying to open VID:0603 PID:1020...
>>> Device not found
>>> Failed to open in boot mode

Tried rebooting and redoing step 1 many many times, but now step 1 gives the same fail.  

Any ideas how to recover?

Full log:
Running STEP-2...

[*]Flashing touchpad firmware...
[*]Opening in touchpad mode
>>> Trying to open VID:258a PID:001f...
>>> Kernel Driver Active
>>> Writing offset:0 length:1024...
>>> Verifying '1k-data'...
>>> Writing offset:1024 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:2048 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:3072 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:4096 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:5120 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:6144 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:7168 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:8192 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:9216 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:10240 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:11264 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:12288 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:13312 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:14336 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:15360 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:16384 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:17408 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:18432 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:19456 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:20480 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:21504 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:22528 length:1024...
>>> Writing offset:23552 length:1024...
[*]Verifying 'end-program'...
[*]Verifying 'checksum'...
[*]Verifying 'program'...
[*]Finished succesfully!
>>> release interface
[*]Flashing ANSI keyboard firmware...
>>> Fix hex file
[*]Opening in user mode...
>>> Trying to open VID:258a PID:001e...
>>> Device not found
>>> Trying to open VID:258a PID:001f...
[*]Sending command to switch to boot mode...
[*]Command send
>>> release interface
[*]Opening in boot mode
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Device not found
>>> Failed to open in boot mode

USBVIEW report:
USB KEYBOARD
Manufacturer: HAILUCK CO.,LTD
Speed: 1.5Mb/s (low)
Bus:  3
Address:  26
USB Version:  1.10
Device Class: 00(>ifc )
Device Subclass: 00
Device Protocol: 00
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 258a
Product Id: 001f
Revision Number:  1.00

Config Number: 1
Number of Interfaces: 2
Attributes: a0
MaxPower Needed: 100mA

Interface Number: 0
Name: usbhid
Alternate Number: 0
Class: 03(HID  )
Sub Class: 01
Protocol: 01
Number of Endpoints: 1

Endpoint Address: 81
Direction: in
Attribute: 3
Type: Int.
Max Packet Size: 8
Interval: 10ms

Interface Number: 1
Name: usbhid
Alternate Number: 0
Class: 03(HID  )
Sub Class: 00
Protocol: 00
Number of Endpoints: 1

Endpoint Address: 82
Direction: in
Attribute: 3
Type: Int.
Max Packet Size: 8
Interval: 10ms
There is improvement with the drift on the touch pad, but it's till there after this update.
I FINALLY fixed by putting my pbp kb in boot mode with a python script.
That could take place for a lot of reasons:
Hardware fail:
The controller board of your trackpad could be damaged; for instance, A static discharge from your frame on your PC can do that. Normally you need to update the complete trackpad module to fix this.
Cable disconnect or connector trouble:
Your trackpad is usually linked to an important board the use of a flat cable. When you have recently opened your computer or you've got dropped it or any form of liquid surpassed internal your pc, then there are desirable chances that the cable is the reason. To repair, a certified technician otherwise you (along with your obligation) ought to open the PC and see if the cable is loose, connector pins are bloodless soldered.
Flat cable pressure lost problem:
Also observe that flat cables can be without difficulty unfastened their connection sincerely because there is not sufficient strain on them. For the duration of time, the rubber fabric at the back of the cable gets more difficult and can't position sufficient pressure, fixing its miles very absolutely, add a piece of paper at the back of it to feature stress. The very sign of this is when your trackpad starts running when you bump on it.
Bodily pressure from inside:
This could be especially true if you are the usage of apple laptops. Battery swelling is not unusual trouble for those laptops and might not note its miles happening at first. Look at the frame and you will see it is slightly reshaped. You need to open your computer and update the battery as soon as possible before its harm is greater.
Software program issue:
You can delete the device driving force of the trackpad with the aid of coincidence. Go to your device supervisor and make certain that the trackpad device is there or attempt to reinstall it to look if it makes any distinction.
That could take place for a lot of reasons:

Hardware fail:
The controller board of your trackpad could be damaged; for instance, A static discharge from your frame on your PC can do that. Normally you need to update the complete trackpad module to fix this.
Cable disconnect or connector trouble:
Your trackpad is usually linked to an important board the use of a flat cable. when you have recently opened your computer or you've got dropped it or any form of liquid surpassed internal your pc, then there are desirable chances that the cable is the reason. To repair, a certified technician otherwise you (along with your obligation) ought to open the PC and see if the cable is loose, connector pins are bloodless soldered.
Flat cable pressure lost problem:
Also observe that flat cables can be without difficulty unfastened their connection sincerely because there is not sufficient strain on them. For the duration of time, the rubber fabric at the back of the cable gets more difficult and can't position sufficient pressure, fixing its miles very absolutely, add a piece of paper at the back of it to feature stress. The very sign of this is when your trackpad starts running when you bump on it.
Bodily pressure from inside:
This could be especially true if you are the usage of apple laptops. Battery swelling is not unusual trouble for those laptops and might not note its miles happening at first. Look at the frame and you will see it is slightly reshaped. You need to open your computer and update the battery as soon as possible before its harm is greater.
Software program issue:
You can delete the device driving force of the trackpad with the aid of coincidence. Go to your device supervisor and make certain that the trackpad device is there or attempt to reinstall it to look if it makes any distinction
These instruction's do not apply to Pinebook Pros shipping in 2021.

The new and improved keyboard/ trackpad firmware is already flashed on the devices.

This thread is now archived and locked.

[edit] Thread reopened
A new firmware for the trackpad has been released today, greatly improving precision, latency and responsiveness of the Pinebook Pro's trackpad.
The firmware has been tested on both new and older Pinebook Pros, ANSI and ISO, and no issues have been reported,
Flashing instructions in announcement in General Discussion on Pinebook Pro subforum.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,141 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,363 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,505 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z