Trackpad firmware update
(01-30-2020, 10:39 PM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 09:58 PM)dirtyv Wrote: Having a weird keyboard issue and I was wondering if anyone else could replicate it. I’m running Manjaro and whenever I first press the F3 key nothing happens. However, my ‘p’ key will then instead act as if it is the F3 key, while pressing Fn + F3 will act like the ‘p’ key. The only way to fix it is to restart. This also happens on the default Debian image but in a less consistent way that is hard to describe. I recently installed @jackhumbert ‘s keyboard firmware update but I don’t know for sure if that caused it as I hadn’t used the F3 key prior. If it helps, I’m unable to replicate this behavior while using an external usb keyboard.

This is a bug I introduced with the revised firmware - I think I have it fixed in my c_sources branch: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rmware/src - I'm working on mirgrating those changes to master, and should have that post updated tomorrow!

Sweet! It wasn’t a big deal for me, i had just stumbled upon it on accident. Btw, big thanks for your work on the firmware, the F9-12 keys really were ruining my day
pressing pine +f3 again seems to toggle whatever mode is happening and it goes back to normal
(01-30-2020, 10:46 PM)dirtyv Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 10:39 PM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 09:58 PM)dirtyv Wrote: Having a weird keyboard issue and I was wondering if anyone else could replicate it. I’m running Manjaro and whenever I first press the F3 key nothing happens. However, my ‘p’ key will then instead act as if it is the F3 key, while pressing Fn + F3 will act like the ‘p’ key. The only way to fix it is to restart. This also happens on the default Debian image but in a less consistent way that is hard to describe. I recently installed @jackhumbert ‘s keyboard firmware update but I don’t know for sure if that caused it as I hadn’t used the F3 key prior. If it helps, I’m unable to replicate this behavior while using an external usb keyboard.

This is a bug I introduced with the revised firmware - I think I have it fixed in my c_sources branch: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rmware/src - I'm working on mirgrating those changes to master, and should have that post updated tomorrow!

Sweet! It wasn’t a big deal for me, i had just stumbled upon it on accident. Btw, big thanks for your work on the firmware, the F9-12 keys really were ruining my day

Np! I just pushed the fix for this and updated the instructions in the main post Smile

(01-30-2020, 11:54 PM)xmixahlx Wrote: pressing pine +f3 again seems to toggle whatever mode is happening and it goes back to normal

Yeah, this is what it does by default (LGUI + P) - I'm not sure if it's functionality is intended/useful, but I removed it in the default revised firmware for now. You can always customise it by making your own keymap though Smile
@jackhumbert so i can assume, that we can get some unix like control-instead-capslock bindings working in firmware?
(02-03-2020, 05:54 PM)matosys Wrote: @jackhumbert so i can assume, that we can get some unix like control-instead-capslock bindings working in firmware?

Yeap! I have mine mapped to Esc in my jack_ansi.c keymap in the repo. There's more info on it here: https://github.com/jackhumbert/pinebook-...rmware/src
(01-15-2020, 05:32 PM)wtdonnelly Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 04:54 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy

This must be so frustrating for you!  Forgive me if I missed this, but have you tried an external keyboard, and if so, how does that work?

If you could do one more test it may allow us to pinpoint why the keyboard isn't operating as you expect.  Since you did manage to log in, if you could open a text document and just hit each key in each row in order, and then repeat with shift on eg,

`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]\
QWERTYUIOP{}|

asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

and then post the results here, it would help us understand what the keyboard *is* doing, and why.

Fingers crossed for you,

Bill

Hello Bill,

Sorry for the delay, have the flu...

1. Yes I can' type when I add my external keyboard, no issues

2. But when I use PineBook keyboard this is what I get.

1234567 - this number come up after one keys is typed punch 1 you get 2 punch 3 your get 4 and so forth

1234567 - these is with the shift key "ON"

wsedrftyh-j 

wsedrftyh-j - same thing when shift key is "ON"

qzxcgvbnk

qzxcgvbnk - something when shift key is "On"

a<imo. - something when shift key is "On"

Thank you for your assistance.

Something tells me I'll have to return my pine book before my 31 day warranty runs out. My mother isn't please but I told her it could have a glitch or two. I don't know what went wrong, but I still want a PineBook. Thank everyone for their assistance, I fill confident with a supportive community my experience with PineBook will be just fine. Thank you all again.

Lucy
(02-04-2020, 03:55 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 05:32 PM)wtdonnelly Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 04:54 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy

This must be so frustrating for you!  Forgive me if I missed this, but have you tried an external keyboard, and if so, how does that work?

If you could do one more test it may allow us to pinpoint why the keyboard isn't operating as you expect.  Since you did manage to log in, if you could open a text document and just hit each key in each row in order, and then repeat with shift on eg,

`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]\
QWERTYUIOP{}|

asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

and then post the results here, it would help us understand what the keyboard *is* doing, and why.

Fingers crossed for you,

Bill

Hello Bill,

Sorry for the delay, have the flu...

1. Yes I can' type when I add my external keyboard, no issues

2. But when I use PineBook keyboard this is what I get.

1234567 - this number come up after one keys is typed punch 1 you get 2 punch 3 your get 4 and so forth

1234567 - these is with the shift key "ON"

wsedrftyh-j 

wsedrftyh-j - same thing when shift key is "ON"

qzxcgvbnk

qzxcgvbnk - something when shift key is "On"

a<imo. - something when shift key is "On"

Thank you for your assistance.

Something tells me I'll have to return my pine book before my 31 day warranty runs out. My mother isn't please but I told her it could have a glitch or two. I don't know what went wrong, but I still want a PineBook. Thank everyone for their assistance, I fill confident with a supportive community my experience with PineBook will be just fine. Thank you all again.

Lucy
 ( FEB. 04, 2020 )

Maybe a dumb question :

Have you set the language in the keyboard settings ?

ie:  EU keyboard for ISO  or  US keyboard for the ANSI keyboard  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I had the same...
To fix it I had to set the keyboard layout (in Debian) back to UK English, (I had changed it to US earlier) then re-do part 2 of the flashing procedure and luckily after that everything was fine again.

Scared me though, I thought I had broken it Smile
(02-04-2020, 04:33 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
[... Wrote:pid='59212' dateline='1580853346']

Maybe a dumb question :

In the realm of goofy user shit I couldn't get the upgrade to work for me with ansi/us. After step 1 the trackpad is dead but the keyboard works correctly.  After step 2 the trackpack is live but the keyboard is gibberish.  I went through those steps and fiddled with the keyboard setting a number of times to no difference.  Then, taking a flyer, I tried iso/us and it worked out of the box.  And looking back at my order it says ISO keyboard.

The keyboard seems much less glitchy.  But the trackpad is still a bit painful.  Somebody mentioned tuning it for acceleration, etc.  I don't see that in the control center / hardware / mouse / touchpad configuration controls.
(02-06-2020, 08:28 PM)tahoemph Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 04:33 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ...
Maybe a dumb question :

In the realm of goofy user shit I couldn't get the upgrade to work for me with ansi/us. After step 1 the trackpad is dead but the keyboard works correctly.  After step 2 the trackpack is live but the keyboard is gibberish.  I went through those steps and fiddled with the keyboard setting a number of times to no difference.  Then, taking a flyer, I tried iso/us and it worked out of the box.  And looking back at my order it says ISO keyboard.

The keyboard seems much less glitchy.  But the trackpad is still a bit painful.  Somebody mentioned tuning it for acceleration, etc.  I don't see that in the control center / hardware / mouse / touchpad configuration controls.
Here is a link to what we know so far;

Wiki - Pinebook Pro - X-Windows & trackpad tuning

As usual, feel free to correct, improve or comment, (good or politely bad).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 983 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,832 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,143 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,008 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,724 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,337 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z