Trackpad firmware update
Just wanted to echo what others have said regarding trackpad sensitivity underperforming even after the firmware update and adjusting settings. It's particularly evident when trying to resize windows. The cursor continues to slide several pixels and then the trackpad fails to recognize subtle movements.
Same here, really hard to resize windows and perform other precise tasks
Hi all,
I just received my PBP (in the Netherlands). The keyboard seems to be way off (every key is a different one), an external keyboard works fine.
When trying to get onto the internet to get the firmware update, the network dialogue shows there is no network devices available. Does anyone have an idea what next?
The op states pinebook pros built in 2019 but @Luke edited 1-10-20 on direction for updating. If mine shipped in late January do I still apply the update or does it come with updates applied? I have no way of checking till after work. Thank you.
I've read many but not all of the messages; I apologize if the following has already been discussed.

I received my PBP (ANSI version) on 13 January.

I ran the update as prescribed in the recipe without errors. Afterword both keyboard and track-pad worked.

However, the ANSI key mapping only worked on the login screen. Once logged in to Debian Mate the mapping reverted to ISO.

I was planning to create a new user and see what the mapping would be like for the new user. But I hated Debian Mate. So I decided I would abandon Debian Mate and install Manjaro KDE Plasma ARM, thinking that might solve the problem since the fresh install would be taking place after the firmware update.

That indeed solved the problem and I really like Manjaro KDE Plasma ARM.

The setting "Disable trackpad when typing" does not work, which is too bad. If I'm using a mouse I disable the trackpad via settings. I don't love that since the next time I turn on the PBP I might not have a mouse with me which would render the PBP unusable. So I'm reminding myself to turn the touchpad back on before shutting down when I've been using a mouse.
I never dreamed I would be so disappointed in a track pad. This thing is worse than the first track pad I used in the 90s. I'm super shocked.

I've been using an ASUS C101-PA as my daily driver, many hours per day, it has the same processor as the Pinebook Pro, and the track pad is great! Yes the MSRP is $100 more, but it's a sub $300 unit. Furthermore, this Pinebook Pro can't play 60fps YouTube videos without stuttering. The C101-PA does it perfectly. I checked the stats; both machines running the same codec and it's not the YouTube player stuttering; it's the display.

I've never been so disappointed in a hardware purchase.
@fatmcbastard - 4 things.

First off, that ASUS C101-PA is $400 for a 32GB eMMC version. The cheaper model has a 16GB eMMC. Our Pinebook Pros come with a 64GB eMMC, which makes the comparision even more than $400. (And the Pinebook Pro can be upgraded after purchase to 128GBs.)

Next, the screen size of the Pinebook is 14 inch 1080p, while the ASUS C101-PA is 10.1 inch 1280 x 800. (Though to give the ASUS device it's props, it's a touch screen.)

Third, while I agree that the trackpad is less than ideal, it's early days. We got our first keyboard & trackpad firmware update just recently. And another firmware update is in progress of testing, (though for the keyboard only).

Last, the hardware on the Pinebook Pro can probably play 1080p @ 60fps just fine. It's likely just a software issue. The software is in progress. Did you perform the various updates?

Some people bought the Pinebook Pro without understanding it's a work in progress. As in we are the workers, and we will make the progress. The earlier Pinebooks, (non-Pro versions), just did not have what I was looking for, (3 x USB, video over USB-C, NVMe option, etc...). So I waited. Now I am contributing to the work in progress, (mostly documentation and helping solve user problems.)

Feel free to sell yours, none of us are offended it did not work out.

Note that most of my comments are for others reading this later. So they can understand the comparision between an ASUS C101-PA and Pinebook Pro is not apples to apples.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Followed step 1 and it remapped all the keys. Had a little come-apart then thought.... Hey, I'll hook up the wireless mouse/keyboard and it worked great and allowed to follow step 2. Now everything works great.
(01-22-2020, 05:09 PM)Arwen Wrote: @fatmcbastard - 4 things.

Some people bought the Pinebook Pro without understanding it's a work in progress.
Pardon ? Hasn't it been stated AAAaaalllll over the place the current status of the Pinebook Pro ? I mean, like really everywhere, even on the shop page ?
Dudes...
I had a little scare last night.
Step 1 of the keyboard updater borked the trackpad and keyboard, and step 2 error'd out with a segmentation fault. I retried flashing a couple of times with the use of an external keyboard and mouse but it just didn't work.
I then turned to these forums and noticed somewhere, someone mentioning the keyboard software settings. I had set that to English(US) to get the mapping right. After I set this back to English(UK), the flash script went through successfully.

Everything works again...

*Phew*

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 983 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,833 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,143 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,008 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,725 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,337 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z