Trackpad firmware update
Perhaps there could be a thread'..? .. possible needed support items for a new user to have to work with or repair their Pinebook Pro.
I know the experts do not need them, but they can be useful crutches for many of us.

The USB keyboard (and mouse) and a USB to eMMC adapter, and maybe an SD card or two.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe,
Some mention of these possible scenarios could be mentioned on the sales page(s) or in the welcome letters .?
Possibly, a line in the welcome letter pointing to start-up problems thread, that way it could be up to date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It is SAD to see the frustration, when a little reading and hand holding could have helped soo much.!
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-15-2020, 04:59 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 04:54 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy

Did you change the layout to ANSI (en_US) in the default OS (from the default en_)UK)?

Hello Luke,

Yes, I did change the layout to (en_US).   Sad  

It's baffling but I guess things happen. I'll attempt again before it goes back into the boxes to be shipped back. If anything changes between then and now I'll let all know. On the rare times I've returned anything, it becomes mine. I'll be returning "my Pinebook Pro" for another.  I know that sounds weird but that's just me. 

Thanks again everyone.
(01-15-2020, 04:54 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy

This must be so frustrating for you!  Forgive me if I missed this, but have you tried an external keyboard, and if so, how does that work?

If you could do one more test it may allow us to pinpoint why the keyboard isn't operating as you expect.  Since you did manage to log in, if you could open a text document and just hit each key in each row in order, and then repeat with shift on eg,

`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+
qwertyuiop[]\
QWERTYUIOP{}|

asdfghjkl;'
ASDFGHJKL:"
zxcvbnm,./
ZXCVBNM<>?

and then post the results here, it would help us understand what the keyboard *is* doing, and why.

Fingers crossed for you,

Bill
I had the same issues as Lucy is documenting with my ANSI keyboard. I was able to fix the issue by first plugging in an external keyboard, then (using keyboard navigation) re-selecting EN_UK as my primary keyboard layout, and then running step-2 (I did not need to re-run step 1). This fixed the issue entirely.

Is there a dependency on the EN_UK layout being selected before running the firmware update?
Disregard this! I didn't see the external keyboard requirement within the original instructions. All is well.
Upgraded ISO Pinebook Pro without problems! :-)

BUT I got sweaty hands when during make, I saw the message "dependency dropped." multiple times - but everything seems to work properly

Thanks for the great work and the upgrade!
The first thing I did after booting Manjaro ARM from SD Card on my Pinebook Pro ANSI was to update the kb/tp firmware via the instructions in this post. I am mentioning this because I do not know what the behavior was prior to the update. Here are the issues I have noticed:

1. Holding the Fn key and pressing the number pad buttons appears to perform the typical secondary functions on the number pad (7=Home, 8=Up, etc) and does not type the number, but still presents the press as a number pad key press in applications like key-mon. When NumLK is enabled, pressing the keys (with or without the Fn key) results in the number being typed.

2. The Print Screen button is actually NumLK

2a. The NumLK button is actually ScrLK

2b. The ScrLK button is actually Pause Break

2c. The Pause Break button is actually NumLK

3. Sometimes when trying to click on the trackpad the mouse will shoot down and to the left, typically causing me to click the XFCE menu button or a pinned launcher.
I just got the PBP and did the update for my ANSI keyboard and now keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly...

eg: on login screen i can type rock without any issues but once i login keyboard doesn't type letters correctly anymore
rock = r6c2

123456789*
qwerty456-[]\
asdfgh123+'
zxcvbn0,./

Any idea how can i fix this :/
(01-17-2020, 11:17 AM)Erik217 Wrote: I just got the PBP and did the update for my ANSI keyboard and now keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly...

eg: on login screen i can type rock without any issues but once i login keyboard doesn't type letters correctly anymore
rock = r6c2

123456789*
qwerty456-[]\
asdfgh123+'
zxcvbn0,./

People have reported that the FW update has been setting ANSI layouts from US to GB. Check your keyboard preferences are using the correct keyboard layout.
(01-17-2020, 11:17 AM)Erik217 Wrote: I just got the PBP and did the update for my ANSI keyboard and now keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly...

rock = r6c2

123456789*
qwerty456-[]\
asdfgh123+'
zxcvbn0,./

Hi Erik.

It looks like your numlock key (or equivalent, I don't have PBP in front of me) is on.  That makes the right side of the keyboard behave like a numeric keypad.  Check your keyboard indicators, and if you have an external keyboard plugged in, check the status of that one too.

Bill

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 983 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,830 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,006 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,723 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z