Trackpad firmware update
(01-14-2020, 09:49 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 09:38 AM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:19 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:10 PM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:39 AM)Luke Wrote: @ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process

Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/

Don't worry, you haven't ruined anything. Just start over. Do step 1, reboot, step 2, reboot. Thats all.

Ah, no... like I wrote: that's not possible. I boot into a black screen. I can see the mouse pointer but cannot move it. There is no login or anything. Cannot even use Ctrl+Alt+F-keys to get to a login terminal anymore...

And now I also notice "DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY" on https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater which is my case :S

It works, he just forgot to remove that warning from Git

Quote:<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ayufan ... what happened to the FW update?
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ""DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY"
<ayufanWithPM> oh, I might have not removed this message Smile
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> phew...
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> so it works again?
<ayufanWithPM> nothing changed since last time
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ok

OK, good to know. But in the mean time I still have a dead pinebook Sad 

Is there anyone that can suggest a way out of this mess? I tried a bootable SD card but that seems to be ignored... Or maybe it just has the same result: a black screen with mouse pointer visible but no movement possible.
(01-14-2020, 06:57 PM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 09:49 AM)Luke Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 09:38 AM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:19 PM)Luke Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 03:10 PM)ravanh Wrote: Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/

Don't worry, you haven't ruined anything. Just start over. Do step 1, reboot, step 2, reboot. Thats all.

Ah, no... like I wrote: that's not possible. I boot into a black screen. I can see the mouse pointer but cannot move it. There is no login or anything. Cannot even use Ctrl+Alt+F-keys to get to a login terminal anymore...

And now I also notice "DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY" on https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...rd-updater which is my case :S

It works, he just forgot to remove that warning from Git

Quote:<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ayufan ... what happened to the FW update?
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ""DO NOT USE WITH ANSI KEYBOARD. THIS IS NOT YET SUPPORTED. IT WILL BREAK THE KEYBOARD AS OF TODAY"
<ayufanWithPM> oh, I might have not removed this message Smile
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> phew...
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> so it works again?
<ayufanWithPM> nothing changed since last time
<P64ProtocolBot> [D] <lukasz> ok

OK, good to know. But in the mean time I still have a dead pinebook Sad 

Is there anyone that can suggest a way out of this mess? I tried a bootable SD card but that seems to be ignored... Or maybe it just has the same result: a black screen with mouse pointer visible but no movement possible.

Have you tried using SSH to connect in over the network?  Perhaps someone could suggest a USB-based network adapter that should work out of the box, should you be concerned that your WiFi is not starting up (which I would assume will not, if it's not booting all the way to a user session).

I would have assumed that you could have booted off an SD card, however. I wonder what would happen if you disconnect the eMMC storage?
(01-14-2020, 03:33 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 02:28 PM)inkslinger Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:05 PM)Sally Wrote: It was the second part that doesn't download /  work. It says something like saying, file can't be found.

I had a similar issue. I rebooted and started with Step 1 again. I had to do it a couple of times, but it eventually worked. Not sure why it doesn't consistently work on the first try, but others have said they had to do it a few times to get it to work.

I attempted the power down about over a dozen times. Nothing has worked: I now have to use an external keyboard to login and type anything on the Pinebook Pro. I'm sorry I attempted an update, not much use if I can't use the keyboard.  Thank you. I'll attempt it again later on today.
Hello @Sally 

Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but is it possible that after the first reboot you didn't change back into the updater directory prior to attempting to run part two of the update:
Code:
cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater

You indicated that you got an error message suggesting a file wasn't found, and it occurs to me you may not have been running in the proper directory, since changing directory after rebooting wasn't explicitly stated in the instructions.  Just a thought...

Good luck with your PBP--hope you get it running soon!

Bill

(01-14-2020, 05:54 PM)LutzFechner Wrote: Wondering if I need the firmware update too. But I guess it won't hurt to just install it either. Just received my Pinebook Pro yesterday and keyboard and touchpad actually are ok. Touchpad sometimes seems to be a bit chewing gum ish. Like it is lagging a bit behind or needs to be pushed a bit further.

Hello @LutzFechner 

I ran the updater without any issues, but it's still nearly impossible to make fine adjustments of the mouse pointer using the trackpad.  Did you apply the updates, and if so, did it solve the "lagginess"?

@Luke, while testing the trackpad I installed GnomePaint via synaptic and noticed two interesting things:  first, despite having updated the firmware, it's still next to impossible to move the mouse pointer in small increments, regardless of direction.  When I slowwwwwly drag my finger over the pad, there is no movement of the pointer for a bit, and then suddenly it jumps forward and overshoots the intended target.  Try opening a paint program and making a circle, and you'll notice that when you approach the part of the circle where it would be tangent to a vertical or horizontal line, the pointer jumps and makes a vertical or horizontal line, instead of a smooth curve. 

The other thing is that in GnomePaint, when I finally manage to get the pointer to the lower right hand side of the canvas and drag to expand it, the computer becomes unresponsive for a period ranging from ~20 seconds to more than 2 minutes.  The mouse pointer moves, but doesn't unhide the menu bar, the pine key doesn't bring up the menu, and the cap lock light won't change status until the system regains its equilibrium.  Please holler if you want more info or want me to try a fix.

Bill
Note :
   My ANSI PBP came with the new firmware,

but under keyboard setting it was set to EU not US,  so my symbols did not match my keyboard.

SO just a software adjustment,  not a firmware upgrade.

Also passed Luke's test, one finger on the track pad and still able to type letters from keyboard.

ANYHOW :  Check to see    IF    you need the firmware upgrade,  but don't just assume.

If your  @ key  and your  "  key are reversed  ?   Go to Keyboards,  it will say  EU keyboards.

Add  US keyboards,   then delete EU keyboards.

Problem Fixed.

From my New ANSI Pinebook Pro
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-14-2020, 10:34 PM)wtdonnelly Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 03:33 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 02:28 PM)inkslinger Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:05 PM)Sally Wrote: It was the second part that doesn't download /  work. It says something like saying, file can't be found.

I had a similar issue. I rebooted and started with Step 1 again. I had to do it a couple of times, but it eventually worked. Not sure why it doesn't consistently work on the first try, but others have said they had to do it a few times to get it to work.

I attempted the power down about over a dozen times. Nothing has worked: I now have to use an external keyboard to login and type anything on the Pinebook Pro. I'm sorry I attempted an update, not much use if I can't use the keyboard.  Thank you. I'll attempt it again later on today.
Hello @Sally 

Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but is it possible that after the first reboot you didn't change back into the updater directory prior to attempting to run part two of the update:
Code:

You indicated that you got an error message suggesting a file wasn't found, and it occurs to me you may not have been running in the proper directory, since changing directory after rebooting wasn't explicitly stated in the instructions.  Just a thought...

Good luck with your PBP--hope you get it running soon!

Bill

(01-14-2020, 05:54 PM)LutzFechner Wrote: Wondering if I need the firmware update too. But I guess it won't hurt to just install it either. Just received my Pinebook Pro yesterday and keyboard and touchpad actually are ok. Touchpad sometimes seems to be a bit chewing gum ish. Like it is lagging a bit behind or needs to be pushed a bit further.

Hello @LutzFechner 

I ran the updater without any issues, but it's still nearly impossible to make fine adjustments of the mouse pointer using the trackpad.  Did you apply the updates, and if so, did it solve the "lagginess"?

@Luke, while testing the trackpad I installed GnomePaint via synaptic and noticed two interesting things:  first, despite having updated the firmware, it's still next to impossible to move the mouse pointer in small increments, regardless of direction.  When I slowwwwwly drag my finger over the pad, there is no movement of the pointer for a bit, and then suddenly it jumps forward and overshoots the intended target.  Try opening a paint program and making a circle, and you'll notice that when you approach the part of the circle where it would be tangent to a vertical or horizontal line, the pointer jumps and makes a vertical or horizontal line, instead of a smooth curve. 

The other thing is that in GnomePaint, when I finally manage to get the pointer to the lower right hand side of the canvas and drag to expand it, the computer becomes unresponsive for a period ranging from ~20 seconds to more than 2 minutes.  The mouse pointer moves, but doesn't unhide the menu bar, the pine key doesn't bring up the menu, and the cap lock light won't change status until the system regains its equilibrium.  Please holler if you want more info or want me to try a fix.

Bill

I didn't enter cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater at first. Another poster suggested I do so, I went back did Step 1. Plug my keyboard in for Step 2 with the cd command and it was successful. Accept my keyboard letters are scrabbled.

Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?  This was a Christmas present and my mother kinda puzzled why I'm using my Apple laptop instead of new laptop. LOL I told this it will be sorted in the end, I hope. The trackpad works as smooth as butter.
Hi BCnAZ et al.

I was able to type while touching the trackpad, so I assumed that my PBP shipped with the new firmwares.  But I ran the updater anyway just to see if it would cause any problems (it didn't). 

However, the problem with precision cursor movement that others have discussed is also evident on my machine.  In addition, when I change mouse settings like pointer acceleration, sensitivity, and drag and drop threshold, no noticeable change in behavior is seen.  Does anyone know whether the new firmware responds to changes in the mouse settings panel? 

Bill
I didn't run the fw update scripts (yet). But I can type while moving the mouse pointer with the track pad.

I was first under the impression that I can't, but that was because I had Mouse Preferences -> Touchpad -> "Disable Touchpad while typing" checked in the Preferences menu.
I'm pretty sure it was so from the beginning.
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 08:05 AM)Sally Wrote: Could I not,, just download Debian Distro again?

The keyboard firmware sits in a flash within the keyboard. A Debian reinstall will not touch this flash. So, no.

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy
(01-15-2020, 04:54 PM)Sally Wrote:
(01-15-2020, 03:51 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:

Thank you, understood:  I've tried more times I can't count to solve this issue. From the start I had to enter the password twice before it would take. The last time a powered down (30 minutes ago) I had to power down the Pinebook Pro twice before it accepted. 

sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot

Yet the keyboard doesn't type letters out correctly.

I've documented it all. I don't like returning things when I've been waiting impatiently for my Pinebook Pro.This isn't my 1st time a the rodeo, I own the Pinebook. I need instruction how to return and replace my Pinebook Pro. Thanks to every one for your assistance.

My deepest regards.
Lucy

Did you change the layout to ANSI (en_US) in the default OS (from the default en_)UK)?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 969 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 983 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,830 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,006 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,723 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z