Trackpad firmware update
(01-11-2020, 08:14 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 04:35 PM)quantumape Wrote: Just got my PineBook Pro and ran the ANSI firmware update. Things are working pretty well but the trackpad has a peculiar behavior. It's like the mouse position is a couple steps behind the buffer for the trackpad. For instance, if I move left, then stop, then move up. When i start moving up, it goes left a little bit then up. It's just a bit behind and it doesn't update until new input to the trackpad is made.

If it's not just me, maybe I can help sort it out and post a patch? Very new to Pine and the hardware. If that is the case, would you have recommendations on where to start looking into the code? Very comfortable with hardware and mircocontrollers.

Really excited about this project, thanks everyone for their help and contributions!

I'm experiencing this problem too, and it's maddening. It's the last thing that's stopping me from using my shiny new PBP as my main machine—the trackpad is unusable like this. I have to assume it's not happening to most users or it would certainly have been noticed and fixed by now.

At some point I'm going to try just re-applying the firmware update, to see if that somehow fixes it. I've been too busy with other stuff until recently.

Yes ! I'm having this problem as well, even after applying the firmware update. I thought I was crazy since no-one else was reporting the issue. I found that playing with libinput parameters helps a bit, but it still seems there's something flaky about the trackpad itself.
(01-12-2020, 08:42 PM)Gazoche Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 08:14 AM)Solra Bizna Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 04:35 PM)quantumape Wrote: Just got my PineBook Pro and ran the ANSI firmware update. Things are working pretty well but the trackpad has a peculiar behavior. It's like the mouse position is a couple steps behind the buffer for the trackpad. For instance, if I move left, then stop, then move up. When i start moving up, it goes left a little bit then up. It's just a bit behind and it doesn't update until new input to the trackpad is made.

If it's not just me, maybe I can help sort it out and post a patch? Very new to Pine and the hardware. If that is the case, would you have recommendations on where to start looking into the code? Very comfortable with hardware and mircocontrollers.

Really excited about this project, thanks everyone for their help and contributions!

I'm experiencing this problem too, and it's maddening. It's the last thing that's stopping me from using my shiny new PBP as my main machine—the trackpad is unusable like this. I have to assume it's not happening to most users or it would certainly have been noticed and fixed by now.

At some point I'm going to try just re-applying the firmware update, to see if that somehow fixes it. I've been too busy with other stuff until recently.

Yes ! I'm having this problem as well, even after applying the firmware update. I thought I was crazy since no-one else was reporting the issue. I found that playing with libinput parameters helps a bit, but it still seems there's something flaky about the trackpad itself.

Other users have reported these issues as well ( https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...7#pid54297 )

The firmware for the touchpad is still the same binary blob from the november update. It seems plausible that qmk.fm firmware could be targeted to the pbp touchpad and keyboard, but personally, I don't know how to port qmk.
(11-22-2019, 09:42 AM)Luke Wrote: [edit 10/01/2020] FW flahing Instructions have been edited for both ISO and ANSI users now

Credit goes to @tllim , @xalius , @ayufan and @anarsoul 

N.B. This trackpad/ keyboard firmware update applies to all Pinebook Pros produced in 2019

Before you start:
Your Pinebook Pro should be either fully charged or, preferably, running of mains. This utility will be writing chips on the keyboard and trackpad, so a loss of power during any stage of the update can result in irrecoverable damage to your trackpad or keyboard.

The scripts ought to work on all OSs available for the Pinebook Pro. Some OSs may, however, require installation of relevant dependencies.

Please report any issues you encounter in this thread.

What you'll need:
  • Your Pinebook Pro fully charged / running of mains power
  • Connection to WiFi
  • An external USB keyboard/ access to the Pinebebook Pro via ssh 

What you need to do:

Please follow @ayufan's instructions exactly

Instruction Brief for BOTH models (read original instructions for further details):

ISO version
Code:
git clone https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo apt-get install build-essential libusb-1.0-0-dev xxd
make

First Step:

Code:
sudo ./updater step-1 iso
sudo reboot

Second Step:
Code:
cd /pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 iso
sudo reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANSI version
Code:
git clone https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo apt-get install build-essential libusb-1.0-0-dev xxd
make

First Step:
Code:
sudo ./updater step-1 ansi
sudo reboot

Second Step:
Code:
cd /pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater
sudo ./updater step-2 ansi
sudo reboot

So, that was bad... My Pinebook seems bricked now.

Not even possible to complete the first step, after
sudo ./updater step-1 ansi
I cannot even type sudo reboot because the keyboard has all letters wrong. Cannot even find a U Sad and mouse is gone too.

After force shutdown holding the power key, I boot into a black screen. I see the mouse pointer but cannot move it. Ctrl+Alt+F2 does nothing. I guess keys are still all wrong.

Does anyone see a way out of this????  Cry
@ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-13-2020, 10:39 AM)Luke Wrote: @ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process

Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/
(01-13-2020, 03:10 PM)ravanh Wrote:
(01-13-2020, 10:39 AM)Luke Wrote: @ravanh clearly you didn't read ayufan's instructions Smile I suggest you read them and, as its clearly stated, use an external keyboard + mourse / SSH for the update process

Yeah, I see that last point now... my bad. So, is there a way out of this? Or have I just ruined my 300 dollars (incl. shipping and 60+ euro tax) not 1 hour after unpacking? That's really depressing :/

Don't worry, you haven't ruined anything. Just start over. Do step 1, reboot, step 2, reboot. Thats all.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I just got my ANSI PInebook Pro and installed this update.  Everything went smoothly and the trackpad works beautifully.  However, I notice that my '@' character is swapped with my '"' character on the keyboard (I have to shift + " to get @ and vice-versa for double-quote).  The update was one of the first things I did so I'm afraid I don't know if this was the state of affairs before the update.

Apologies if this is covered further up in comments.  I scanned a few pages but this thread is rather long.
@pjgruett,
Use the language selection of the OS to change from English UK to English US. I don't have the steps handy but that seems to have solved other peoples problems. (The Debian OS loaded, defaults to English UK because the originally weren't going to release an ANSI keyboard version of PBP.)
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(01-13-2020, 05:47 PM)Arwen Wrote: @pjgruett,
Use the language selection of the OS to change from English UK to English US. I don't have the steps handy but that seems to have solved other peoples problems. (The Debian OS loaded, defaults to English UK because the originally weren't going to release an ANSI keyboard version of PBP.)

That fixed it.  Many thanks!
i attempted to update my  4 hour old Pinebook Pro. Now I can't sign into Pinebook Pro using rock, rock. The letters typed not correct.

What can I do? Do I have to reinstall the OS or is my new Pinebook Pro bricked. Thank you for any assistance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,364 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,506 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z