Trackpad firmware update
Good morning.

I just did the firmware update and did not recieve any errors during the update. One of the biggest issues I had ith the trackpad was being able to click and drag the conner of a terminal window to make it larger. This is still very difficult to do. It takes me 20-30 seconds on the PBP to do this. this does not happen with an external mouse or trackpad.  

I tried the update twice to be sure but no luck fixing the fine stuff.

Did I perhaps miss something?
Quick observation about trackpad sensitivity in older Pinebook Pros (November 2019 delivery).

I've got an earlier Pinebook Pro and have successfully installed the firmware update. The trackpad is greatly improved but still has issues.

For example, when typing text in an editor, the cursor will unexpectedly leap to an earlier line; in a form field, the cursor can jump to an earlier place in the field, requiring the whole entry to be corrected or retyped.

This is not just a matter of my hand brushing awkwardly against the trackpad while I type; it's abnormal behaviour that I have never experienced with any other laptop. The behaviour is consistent regardless of application, but some are worse than others. Emacs is terrible!

Has anyone else experienced this strange cursor behaviour? Can it be fixed with further firmware revisions?

Thanks.
(01-01-2020, 07:01 AM)wasgurd Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 05:58 AM)Luke Wrote: Those of you who got their PBPs in late 2019 and early 2020, please do the following to determine which  firmware you have:
1) open a terminal window
2) place on finger on trackpad
3) type any letter

Report if the letter you typed showed up. If it did, good, its the newest firmware.

Well, apparently I've to update, there was no letter.

Now the touchpad passes the test, but when I stop move my finger on the touchpad the cursor continues move by itself for a short distance.
So I cannot point the cursor on a small objects. I use Debian Testing and Mate from the Unofficial Installer by @danielt.
(01-02-2020, 11:55 AM)wasgurd Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 07:01 AM)wasgurd Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 05:58 AM)Luke Wrote: Those of you who got their PBPs in late 2019 and early 2020, please do the following to determine which  firmware you have:
1) open a terminal window
2) place on finger on trackpad
3) type any letter

Report if the letter you typed showed up. If it did, good, its the newest firmware.

Well, apparently I've to update, there was no letter.

Now the touchpad passes the test, but when I stop move my finger on the touchpad the cursor continues move by itself for a short distance.
So I cannot point the cursor on a small objects. I use Debian Testing and Mate from the Unofficial Installer by @danielt.

any chance you could capture a short vid of it?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks for the update, works like charm.

I just realised that edge-scrolling stopped working (did not find it mentioned in this thread.) Not really a problem but thought it is worth mentioning.

Great stuff the PBP
Jordan
Thanks for the great effort, posting this from Pinebook Pro #486.

I am anxious to know more about the trackpad and keyboard firmware source code. Is Pine refactoring the code? Is the source licensed for distribution?
Perhaps we could get a status update wrt the firmware sourcecode release? Otherwise, could https://QMK.fm be employed here to handle all of this?

There are a couple of issues with the firmware update utility which could stand to be squashed.
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...r/issues/6
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/pineboo...r/issues/9
(01-02-2020, 01:45 PM)Luke Wrote: any chance you could capture a short vid of it?

Yeah I did. You can see I've stopped my finger on middle of the file despite of it cursor has inertia move to right. I am using Debian Testing from the Unoficial installer.

And, another:
I prefer put (don't push) two fingers on the touchpad to emulate right mouse button. Sometimes it doesn't work while if I push two fingers it works. It can be fixed by reboot.
(01-04-2020, 06:22 AM)wasgurd Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 01:45 PM)Luke Wrote: any chance you could capture a short vid of it?

Yeah I did. You can see I've stopped my finger on middle of the file despite of it cursor has inertia move to right. I am using Debian Testing from the Unoficial installer.

And, another:
I prefer put (don't push) two fingers on the touchpad to emulate right mouse button. Sometimes it doesn't work while if I push two fingers it works. It can be fixed by reboot.

Honestly, no clue, I'm not experiencing this on default build newest kernel. I'll see if I can replicate it tonight.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

It works as far as the end of step 1 which exits with 'Completed Successfully' but on reboot the trackpad doesn't work at all and running step-2 produced 'command not found'. As step-1 takes place after a cd move I did wonder if cd'ing before step-2 would help but it doesn't. In fact the cd command doesn't work so I guess the directory disappears after step-1. Tried rebooting. Tried starting again but that just pops up confirmations that the download/build/make all worked and then step-1 works OK, again, but step 2 still doesn't.

Help!?
After the first reboot, you need to cd to the correct location before running step-2:

Code:
cd pinebook-pro-keyboard-updater

Obvious, but might catch those less familiar with working in a terminal.

Chris

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 982 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,507 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z