Ubuntu Touch installation guide
(02-09-2020, 02:13 PM)bcnaz Wrote:  
   What is with the UBPorts download page ?

Saturday my first download of #216 worked great first try.

Today (Sunday)  I have tried over twenty times and Download #217  "FAILS"  before it even gets very far...

Huh

It worked for me just tried like 2 hours ago.  Just using the URL in my install script.
Me too.  I finally got the ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img.gz downloaded to an RPI.  After gunzip I have a file that appears to be 4000000000 in size.  I run dd if=ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img of=/dev/sdb.  I put the EVO Plus 32 gb microsd to which the file was written in the pinephone and get a black screen but a green led.  When I tried cfdisk /dev/sdb after the dd completed to see if the microsd was flagged bootable,  cfdisk couldn't handle it.

Then I tried writing the same file to an 8GB microsd.  The write stopped after 5mb and now the card is dead.  Not liking the fragility of the microsd cards and failing .img on the 32gb failing to do anything but sit with a black screen.  This is suppose to be linux.

And why are there two .img files on the download page?  Only one .img would be written to a disk or is it something else than a disk image?

soyrunner

On the RPI, I can run fdisk -lu ./*.img and get ./ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img: 3.7GB, 4000000000 bytes, 7512500 sectors; Units: 1 * 512 = 512 bytes;  Sector size 512/512; I/O size 512/512; Disklabel type: dos; Disk identifier: 0xcaef1991; Device: ./ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img; Boot: *; Start: 1953; End: 7810547; Size: 3.7GB; id: 83; Type: linux

Then mount -t auto -o loop,offset999936 ./ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img /mnt/

And in /mnt/ I find all the directories one typically finds in a linux boot directory.  But putting the microsd card in the pinephone only gets a black screen and a green LED.

I don't know why I can't put the sd card in an adapter and mount it on the RPI.

soyrunner.

Retrying while following these excellent instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0FMW72_OYc
That worked well. Now with Ubuntu Touch coming up I shut it down and when I reopened it I have a lock screen. Never set a password and it won't let me in. ... locked for 5 minutes after repeated failures. May have to rewrite the card unless there's a work around.

soyrunner

Reinstalled. But this time after entering location and wifi, I get just a purple screen, touched the button, got the circle, swiped, got the screen lock again.
(02-10-2020, 12:28 PM)soyrunner Wrote: That worked well.  Now with Ubuntu Touch coming up I shut it down and when I reopened it I have a lock screen.  Never set a password and it won't let me in. ...  locked for 5 minutes after repeated failures.  May have to rewrite the card unless there's a work around.

soyrunner

The default password is : phablet
(02-10-2020, 12:28 PM)soyrunner Wrote: Never set a password and it won't let me in. ... 

The default password is:
phablet

https://gitlab.com/ubports/community-ports/pinephone
(02-10-2020, 12:28 PM)soyrunner Wrote: That worked well.  Now with Ubuntu Touch coming up I shut it down and when I reopened it I have a lock screen.  Never set a password and it won't let me in. ...  locked for 5 minutes after repeated failures.  May have to rewrite the card unless there's a work around.

soyrunner

Reinstalled.  But this time after entering location and wifi, I get just a purple screen, touched the button, got the circle, swiped, got the screen lock again.

The default password for ubuntu touch is phablet

It's in the wiki instructions.
Default password is phablet
You can set any password you wish from cli obviously as you'd on any other system
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(02-10-2020, 12:54 PM)kinchan Wrote:

soyrunner

The default password is : phablet

Ahhh, thank you.  In the middle of writing .img to the card again.  I appreciate the help.  By the way, would resizing the partition help?

soyrunner
(02-10-2020, 02:09 PM)Luke Wrote: Default password is phablet
You can set any password you wish from cli obviously as you'd on any other system
Beware that if you change the screen unlock code, as I did, that becomes the new password.  I thought it would only set the screen unlocking code, so took me a while to realize with sudo, and other privileged actions that it was also now the passord. Blush
NOTE :
While I still like the Ubuntu Touch, the GUI does not allow me to use or even see the sim card, the wifi does work very well, I did some web surfing while only using the GUI.

Post Market is slightly less GUI functional, but it did pop-up showing my AT&T network via the sim card, I just could not access it.
and I was not able to do a successful 'log-in'...?  
**** ( Someone have a suggestion on logging into Post Market ? )

Manjaro  I tested before I got my sim card,  it was partially usable, I will try again.

Meanwhile I am out of town working,    not much spare time, and limited internet.

P.S. :
Using a usb to SD card adapter is SO much faster than using the SD card slot on my computer.... just minutes, still using the same Etcher program for the flashing.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,271 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,654 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,791 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,224 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 164,943 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,171 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,180 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,475 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,813 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 4,023 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf