Ubuntu Touch installation guide
Just a quick Question about the UBPorts information on the Pine phone project.
( bit of a newbie on some of the discussion )

When I look at the UBPorts site via the Pine links  I get a completely different 'View'    
  Than when I use a 'link'  from a youtube video to get there...?

DO I need to 'sign-up' and 'log-in' to get a better view or access to their website  ?

THANKS
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-05-2020, 02:45 PM)VaZso Wrote: I would say copying the data is one thing... even for it, dd is not a right tool, you may want to simply copy all files while preserving permissions.
The benefit of dd is that it will duplicate the disk partition layout.
(01-05-2020, 02:51 PM)the7thstranger Wrote: Do you happen to know how the eMMC will be presented? Does one boot the image from the SD card and then run dd from the phone? Or is there a way to mount the device as mass storage on a computer and run dd from there?

Would there be a single partition to write the image to? Because I'm a bit worried to - for instance - overwrite U-Boot or something similar.
No idea on the partition layout: it seems to be release dependant, e.g. on my RockPro64 the ayufan releases use 7 partitions on the disk, 1 for boot,1 for root and 5 others, whereas a Manjaro image implements a single partition.

Yup - I imagine booting from the SDcard then using dd to clone the SDcard (may well be /dev/mmcblk0 as per the RockPro64?) to the eMMC (may well be /dev/mmcblk1 as per theRockPro64?). Will be 1 good reason to have an 8Gb SDcard (or smaller) lying around :-)

Certainly 1 of my arm SBCs has presented the eMMC as a device in a special boot mode, offhand I cannot remember which. I know the Allwinner chips have a FEL mode which seems that it could be useful t get a PinePhone mounted as mass storage though.

Hopefully not too many more days until we can actually answer this stuff definitively!

PS - I just built myself a postmarketOS SDcard using the pmbootstrap script and notice 2 things:
1) pmOS creates 2 partitions on the SDcard, boot & root.
2) The pm bootstrap script already can build your eMMC from your SDcard after booting if you want. See here - postmarketOS may be installed onto the eMMC by running pmbootstrap install --sdcard=/dev/mmcblk... from a Linux distribution booted via the microSD card.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(01-06-2020, 09:31 AM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 02:45 PM)VaZso Wrote: I would say copying the data is one thing... even for it, dd is not a right tool, you may want to simply copy all files while preserving permissions.
The benefit of dd is that it will duplicate the disk partition layout.

I don't really know what are you mean about benefit. If you would like to create the same partition table, you can easily do it without dd.
Also, it is not necessary to keep the same size of partitions.

The drawback of using dd is to copy absolutely the same data so not only partition structure and data on them but every unnecessary bits which is generally not a good idea on something which has limited amount of write cycles (I am speaking about eMMC).
Rather than "DD" is Etcher ok for flashing to an SD card ?

Thanks BC
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-04-2020, 05:05 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Rather than "DD"    is Etcher ok for flashing to an SD card  ?

Thanks  BC
Yes
(02-05-2020, 11:14 AM)wibble Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 05:05 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Rather than "DD"    is Etcher ok for flashing to an SD card  ?

Thanks  BC
Yes

I use Etcher all the time.  Easy to use, works well, no issues.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.
noeman5
(02-05-2020, 11:14 AM)wibble Wrote:

Thanks  BC
Yes

Hi everyone, just got my phone last night and I thought I'd share one handy tip.

For anyone working with a really small micro-SD card (mine is 2GB) here is a handy way to get Ubuntu touch installed on the eMMC:

1. install postmarketOS on your SD, so, on your computer:
    $ pmbootstrap init # NOTE: for 'ui' select 'none'$ pmbootstrap install --sdcard=/dev/sdX # where sdX is your SD card
  2. plug SD card into phone, boot into postmarketOS
  3. on your computer, download Ubuntu touch .img file, shoud be around 4GB)
  4. copy .img over to the 16GB eMMC: 
    dd bs=4M if=ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img | ssh -t user@172.16.42.1 "sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk2 status=progress"
  5. turn off phone, remove sd card, boot into eMMC, done!

Thanks  BC

Question :
Above the .img.gz download :

ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img.bmap    3.98kb

ubuntu-touch-pinephone.img.gz         1.01GB

What is the ' img.bmap    3.98kb '    download for ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I made an install script. It removes a few steps.

https://github.com/goddard/pinephone

What is with the UBPorts download page ?

Saturday my first download of #216 worked great first try.

Today (Sunday)  I have tried over twenty times and Download #217  "FAILS"  before it even gets very far...

Huh

Finally, I did get it,
I have also downloaded 218 as well since.
Using GUI, I am unable to get UT to see my brand new AT&T sim card... wifi works great, though no sound yet.
(Post Market see's my AT&T sim, but I cannot access it, but they have sound.! )

ALSO of NOTE :
I am using Etcher to flash my SD cards, it goes pretty slow using the SD card slot on my computer,
BUT, using a usb to SD card adapter, it completes the process in just minutes !

********* I thought I should share that ****
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,310 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,679 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,815 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,230 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 165,598 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,229 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,196 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,532 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,880 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 4,032 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf