Ubuntu Touch installation guide
(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)quixote Wrote: For instance the Pine64 Installer linked on the Noob page looks like just the thing. But will those instructions work for a PinePhone?

I am not sure there is much mileage in working on Pine64 installer for the PinePhone - see below. Ironically I suspect an SDcard prepared by Pine64 installer for a Pine64+ will boot just fine in a PinePhone. The downside is Armbian (or whatever is available via the installer) without a keyboard could be problematic Wink

(11-21-2019, 06:04 AM)nas Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 11:54 PM)quixote Wrote: I went to the Noob page, which obviously has lots of useful information, but I'm so much of a Noob I don't know if it's useful to me.

I think read that there will be an ubports installer application with a PinePhone option at some point in the near future.

https://ubuntu-touch.io/get-ut

Yeah, already postmarketOS, Sailfish OS & LuneOS have their own scripts - it may be the preferred way in the future? Or not ....? At the moment (I think) LuneOS and Sailfish OS scripts are linux only. We will need to do lots of playing when we get our phones in our hands and update the wiki as applicable. Which is why I prefer a basic image download and for me in linux to dd the card - the equivalent tools for Windows & IOS are well documented (e.g. on the NOOB page).
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Does ubports include something like grub to boot between different os partitions installed on a single sd card?
I would imagine the way to do that will arrive fairly quickly once the phones are in hand. And/or to pick up an OS from the eMMC. In fact imagine it has been done already on a Pine64\Pine64+. IIRC the PinePhone images are using a reasonably new u-boot so should be much simpler.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
Hello,
Can someone help please?
I have just received a PinePhone yesterday.
I've downloaded the last daily builds from here: https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/
But the touch screen is not working.
I installed PostMarketOS version on the phone, and the touch screen worked properly. So hardware-wise the device is OK.
Is there any release notes listing what works and what does not work.
Thanks
(12-31-2019, 08:11 AM)dannyzadok Wrote: Hello,
Can someone help please?
I have just received a PinePhone yesterday.
I've downloaded the last daily builds from here: https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinephone/
But the touch screen is not working.
I installed PostMarketOS version on the phone, and the touch screen worked properly. So hardware-wise the device is OK.
Is there any release notes listing what works and what does not work.
Thanks

https://forums.ubports.com/topic/2403/pinephone/433
Try here, or watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11eObhH8MKA
(12-31-2019, 08:11 AM)dannyzadok Wrote: Is there any release notes listing what works and what does not work.

Not AFAIK - even us folks waiting Brave Heart versions are on notice the software is pre-release/alpha so documentation is up to us I reckon Big Grin 

Please add your experiences to the wiki here.
Is anything known already about flashing Ubuntu Touch from the SD card to the eMMC storage? When I receive my Brave Heart, I would not be comfortable with a factory (probably blob-ridden Android) ROM being present. Right now, the wiki page states that installation to eMMC requires a magic script yet to be written.

Is anybody working on writing said magic script?
(01-04-2020, 03:06 AM)the7thstranger Wrote: Right now, the wiki page states that installation to eMMC requires a magic script yet to be written.

I put those words in the wiki as a provocative placeholder Smile 
I am 99.9% certain plain old dd will work, but figure I want to try it before I write it!
Equally with a couple of the probable releases already having install scripts (e.g. postmarketOS) direct to SDcard I expect someone will do a  script modification to install direct to eMMC (and skip the intermediate SDcard). But again until it happens there is nothing to write about.
(01-05-2020, 12:16 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: I am 99.9% certain plain old dd will work, but figure I want to try it before I write it!

I would say copying the data is one thing... even for it, dd is not a right tool, you may want to simply copy all files while preserving permissions.
Other than that, system files should be modified to let the system know what to do in order to work.
It is like modify fstab to mount appropriate partitions and kernel command line to load root on appropriate partition.

It is just a guess but similar settings are needed and not an exact copy what dd does.
(01-05-2020, 12:16 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 03:06 AM)the7thstranger Wrote: Right now, the wiki page states that installation to eMMC requires a magic script yet to be written.

I put those words in the wiki as a provocative placeholder Smile 
I am 99.9% certain plain old dd will work, but figure I want to try it before I write it!
Equally with a couple of the probable releases already having install scripts (e.g. postmarketOS) direct to SDcard  I expect  someone will do a  script modification to install direct to eMMC (and skip the intermediate SDcard). But again until it happens there is nothing to write about.

Do you happen to know how the eMMC will be presented? Does one boot the image from the SD card and then run dd from the phone? Or is there a way to mount the device as mass storage on a computer and run dd from there?

Would there be a single partition to write the image to? Because I'm a bit worried to - for instance - overwrite U-Boot or something similar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,005 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,436 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,178 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,366 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 11,000 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com
  UT move to Ubuntu 20.04 Concrete_panda 2 5,119 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: DrewTechs
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,329 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,579 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 3,971 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf