High Pitch Noise Coming From Pinebook Pro
(02-27-2020, 01:52 AM)flyingscorpio Wrote: Hi everyone,
Got this problem too, first on stock Debian, then I switched to Manjaro and the noise wasn't there.
And then I ran the keyboard/trackpad firmware update, sound was back.

I didn't see anyone in this thread relating the problem to the trackpad firmware update so maybe I'm the only one, but maybe it'll help figuring out where this comes from.
Up to now my fix is to just to mute the computer.

I updated the trackpad firmware when I got my PBP back in January. I don't recall if the noise was present before that.
The Pinebook Pro I ordered in April and received about a week ago also has this issue. Maximum or minimum brightness makes the whine inaudable, and toggling caps-lock changes the pitch of the tone.
On a 2020 PP as well, experiencing this. I've noticed that is changed while attempting to update keyboard / trackpad firmware. Pitch / volume changes with keyboard indicator leds, low power items plugged into the USB 2.0 ports, and screen brightness.

It seems to go away while charging via USB-C, but not through the barrel jack.
Same problem with recent batch here. Max/min screen brightness kills the noise, capslock changes the tone, it actually hurts my ears.

Is this something that can be fixed with a firmware flash or do we have to apply epoxy somewhere?

I know that we can report problems and all that, but at the end of the day, I need actual fixes. If a part needs replacing, I'll have to order it soon before classes start. As it stands right now, I cannot use this at the library or in-class because the noise is painfully audible. I'd even say it's unusable without a headset when I'm just using it for around-the-house computing.
Just commenting to say I am also experiencing this issue, however only when I plug in my wireless USB mouse.
Once I remove the usb dongle the noise disappears as others seem to have mentioned
Screen brightness didn't seem to affect the noise at all in my case
I'm running manjaro i3 (20.06)
I have the same problem only if some USB devices connected. Caps lock and brightness have some affect on frequency but not at the loudness. The power adapter doesn't have any affect.
This sound really makes me mad. But without a mouse it is impossible to work with this trackpad =(
(07-13-2020, 05:39 AM)ratel Wrote: I have the same problem only if some USB devices connected. Caps lock and brightness have some affect on frequency but not at the loudness.  The power adapter doesn't have any affect.
This sound really makes me mad. But without a mouse it is impossible to work with this trackpad =(

Exact same thing here. As soon as I remove my USB plug that I use for my wireless mouse the high-pitched noise vanishes.

I wish this could be resolved via a software update.
(07-18-2020, 02:37 PM)pivic Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 05:39 AM)ratel Wrote: I have the same problem only if some USB devices connected. Caps lock and brightness have some affect on frequency but not at the loudness.  The power adapter doesn't have any affect.

Exact same thing here. As soon as I remove my USB plug that I use for my wireless mouse the high-pitched noise vanishes.

I wish this could be resolved via a software update.

I found a strange solution. Trackpad really good works with touch-click emulation in Gnome! I don't know why, but touchpad difference in KDE and gnome really grate!  I tryed to use both versions of gnome (from GTK and KDE repo). Now I use GTK repo version (wayland only), but KDE repo have 4 varaiotions (x11, wayland, classic default).
(08-28-2020, 03:55 AM)ratel Wrote: I found a strange solution. Trackpad really good works with touch-click emulation in Gnome! I don't know why, but touchpad difference in KDE and gnome really grate!  I tryed to use both versions of gnome (from GTK and KDE repo). Now I use GTK repo version (wayland only), but KDE repo have 4 varaiotions (x11, wayland, classic default).

Are you sure that is GNOME vs KDE Plasma issue and not libinput vs evdev vs somethingelse issue?
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
(08-28-2020, 09:03 AM)moonwalkers Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 03:55 AM)ratel Wrote: I found a strange solution. Trackpad really good works with touch-click emulation in Gnome! I don't know why, but touchpad difference in KDE and gnome really grate!  I tryed to use both versions of gnome (from GTK and KDE repo). Now I use GTK repo version (wayland only), but KDE repo have 4 varaiotions (x11, wayland, classic default).

Are you sure that is GNOME vs KDE Plasma issue and not libinput vs evdev vs somethingelse issue?

No, I am not sure because I not tracked desktop environment drivers dependences. I am only sure that gnome installed with default dependences improve touchpad experience. Probably it is possible to get the same result on the KDE with some non-default programs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,905 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 300 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 227 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,221 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,123 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt