Replace eMMC
Helllo,

I just ordered the standard model and would like to know if it is possible to replace the eMMC with bigger ones without having to solder it to the board. After all,
cheaper,bigger and faster eMMCs might become and I might want to upgrade to something more than 64 Gbit, which is perfectly enough for a desktop standard installation but maybe you want a few media files for the plane or for your holidays.

Yours
Stefan
Why not NVMe?
(11-17-2019, 05:04 AM)stefan.schumacher Wrote: Helllo,

I just ordered the standard model and would like to know if it is possible to replace the eMMC with bigger ones without having to solder it to the board. After all,
cheaper,bigger and faster eMMCs might become and I might want to upgrade to something more than 64 Gbit, which is perfectly enough for a desktop standard installation but maybe you want a few media files for the plane or for your holidays.

Yours
Stefan

The EMMC isn't soldered. Some have had theirs dislodged during shipping.

and it's 64GBytes...
(11-17-2019, 05:04 AM)stefan.schumacher Wrote: Helllo,

Yours
Stefan

As @evilbunny said, it's replacable.

Also, you can order a 128GByte module today from the Pine Store today. If you do, you may want to pick up the USB to eMMC adapter as well. It allows you to write to the eMMC before you install it. (Or wipe it blank, if needed.)

Note that the actual eMMC chip is on a carrier board. Phones and tablets would likely have the eMMC chip soldered directly on the board. Some devices, like ROCKPro64 and Pinebook Pro have it via a replacable carrier board.

This comes into play since I looked into 256GByte eMMC modules. They are available from several OEMs, like Samsung. But, they are plain chips, without the carrier board. Thus, not directly usable. Not to mention much more than a NVME drive with adapter would cost.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Swapping the eMMC should not be too difficult,    you can possibly clone it before installing it,
or use the sd card OS installation method after installing the new eMMC.

If you just want extra storage you could use a usb stick...

You could go to the M.2/NVMe drive.
 The correct adapter 'kit' is still up for discussion but some have already got that mounted.
 (while we are advised to wait for the updated kit)
As a high speed storage drive it is apparently ready for use now.

As a boot drive,  the NVMe is a bit of a challenge but at least one person has achieved that,
Most of us are waiting for a simplified software approach  to be developed.

* Sent from my New PBP
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
If you just want to store media files or stream backups your best bet is a large sd card. I've found that all of the tiny USB sticks have overheating problems, and nvme is absolutely overkill for occasional use bulk storage.
One of the best feature on Pine64 boards (except on the PinePhone) is that you can replace the eMMC just in case if it dies.
Also as for SD Cards, if you're looking for one, it'll be better to not by "too good to be true" or cheap price, as it maybe a fake one.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
(11-18-2019, 05:36 PM)Arglebargle Wrote: If you just want to store media files or stream backups your best bet is a large sd card. I've found that all of the tiny USB sticks have overheating problems, and nvme is absolutely overkill for occasional use bulk storage.

---------------

***  I think most of us,  or at least myself, bought the NVMe adapter and SSD to get a faster boot machine,  the extra size is a bonus .

But Yes an sd card is one easy option, and relatively inexpensive.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-17-2019, 05:04 AM)stefan.schumacher Wrote: Note that the actual eMMC chip is on a carrier board. Phones and tablets would likely have the eMMC chip soldered directly on the board. Some devices, like ROCKPro64 and Pinebook Pro have it via a replacable carrier board.

Hello
Do you know where do the pine(phone and tab) carrier board come from ? Who is designing them ? why may they prefer an eMMC chip soldered on the board ?
(11-19-2019, 03:11 AM)abdel Wrote: Do you know where do the pine(phone and tab) carrier board come from ? Who is designing them ? why may them prefer a eMMC chip soldered on the board ?

The board is a modified Pine64 board, or are you talking about the modem chip?

Soldering the emmc chip down makes things thinner/smaller so you have space for other chips...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  256GB EMMC! sallyhaj 1 730 10-03-2023, 07:42 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  eMMC failed Dendrocalamus64 9 6,806 11-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Is it possible to replace LCD panel? plumlis 14 15,967 02-11-2021, 09:27 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  Upgrade eMMC card - boot problems alpopa 0 2,239 09-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: alpopa
  128GB eMMC support dgkPBP 7 8,589 09-08-2020, 07:36 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Manjaro 20.06 requires multiple boots from eMMC to launch successfully on PBP Spectre 0 2,178 07-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Spectre
  eMMC to USB adapter "very" slow at reading data talpa 3 5,170 07-08-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: talpa
  Internal installation of additional eMMC Besouro 7 8,380 06-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  Boot problems with new 128GB eMMC module Kareema 1 3,247 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Kareema
Star Could you please add 128GB eMMC as a build option for this preorder? Dendrocalamus64 3 4,401 03-23-2020, 04:54 AM
Last Post: xmixahlx