PinePhones on assembly line
(09-09-2020, 01:55 PM)WarpLover Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 02:10 PM)daniel Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 03:35 PM)pinerokc Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:19 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 12:10 PM)moon Wrote: made in China?

Yes

Then let's hope they use standard technology "clean room" processes, including manual handling with rubber gloves.
When I got my BH phone, I did wipe it down with an alcohol-soaked tissue (good thing there was a screen protector on it with the next-to-last film on top of that - nice "touch", Luke ;-}  ).

You shouldn't worry about the virus surviving the long trip to your country. Shipping is taking longer than expected and the phones are being sealed in their boxes probably many days before your unpacking. No virus will be on your phone. You should be more worried about your delivery man coming to your door, and coughing on your parcel
Or HW backdoors.
This in theory could be a concern but nothing is 100% secure. We have to pick and choose the risks we are willing to take, Pine64 is such a small company that I'm reasonably certain the Chinese Government has not installed a backdoor- far more useful and likely is something more mainstream, like an Iphone or Android device.

Yes

Then let's hope they use standard technology "clean room" processes, including manual handling with rubber gloves.
When I got my BH phone, I did wipe it down with an alcohol-soaked tissue (good thing there was a screen protector on it with the next-to-last film on top of that - nice "touch", Luke ;-}  ).

You shouldn't worry about the virus surviving the long trip to your country. Shipping is taking longer than expected and the phones are being sealed in their boxes probably many days before your unpacking. No virus will be on your phone. You should be more worried about your delivery man coming to your door, and coughing on your parcel
Or HW backdoors.
Pine phone is way too small for putting a back door in it we are not worth the target but if pinephone gets to raspberry pi foundation status then it would have to be worried
owo notices your distro.
supply chain is a reasonable point. taking into account scandal with chips on chinese sever motherboards homecalling chines ips from amazon servers. lets hope it is too small company, at least for now
Perhaps consider Amazon itself.. ?

Remember the 1990's when almost every browser "search" led to Amazon.?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-18-2020, 10:03 PM)dallytaur Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:19 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Yes

Or HW backdoors.
Pine phone is way too small for putting a back door in it we are not worth the target but if pinephone gets to raspberry pi foundation status then it would have to be worried

What do you mean by this? Do I need to throw out my pis?
(01-28-2021, 08:05 PM)mandavel Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 03:35 PM)pinerokc Wrote: Then let's hope they use standard technology "clean room" processes, including manual handling with rubber gloves.

Or HW backdoors.

It depends on your threat model and level of paranoia ;-)
(01-30-2021, 10:06 AM)wibble Wrote:
(01-28-2021, 08:05 PM)mandavel Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 02:10 PM)daniel Wrote: You shouldn't worry about the virus surviving the long trip to your country. Shipping is taking longer than expected and the phones are being sealed in their boxes probably many days before your unpacking. No virus will be on your phone. You should be more worried about your delivery man coming to your door, and coughing on your parcel
Or HW backdoors.

It depends on your threat model and level of paranoia ;-)

I mean, if there's a backdoor/chinaman living in my pi, that constitutes a valid enough threat for me I think.

...Is there really? Sad
Not that I'm aware of. I'm keeping my Pis.

Yes

Or HW backdoors.

lol this concern is always interesting. People need to realize that hardware backdoor is in no realm detectable by ANY company on the planet. A hardware backdoor in practice can exist on the transistor level.. Do you know how many transistors are produced globally? Its more than allll the grains of rice... It is physically unrealistic to be able to determine if on a transistor level , if the device will behave malicious - since it isn't even possible to inspect every transistor on every chip, on every device.. And since this is on the transistor level, almost any device that has any chip at all made in China (even just transistors) - would be suspectible to hardware backdoors. I would bet basically every phone had, or currently has a chip manufactured in china. So in summary, if you're worried about a hardware backdoor in the pinephone, I think you should also apply that to almost any electronic device (especially ones that are in more hands of the general population - there is some truth to security through obscurity, not enough pinephones to make this worth it).
(02-26-2021, 03:02 PM)theD0ctor Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 01:19 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Yes

Or HW backdoors.

lol this concern is always interesting. People need to realize that hardware backdoor is in no realm detectable by ANY company on the planet. A hardware backdoor in practice can exist on the transistor level.. Do you know how many transistors are produced globally? Its more than allll the grains of rice... It is physically unrealistic to be able to determine if on a transistor level , if the device will behave malicious - since it isn't even possible to inspect every transistor on every chip, on every device.. And since this is on the transistor level, almost any device that has any chip at all made in China (even just transistors) - would be suspectible to hardware backdoors. I would bet basically every phone had, or currently has a chip manufactured in china. So in summary, if you're worried about a hardware backdoor in the pinephone, I think you should also apply that to almost any electronic device (especially ones that are in more hands of the general population - there is some truth to security through obscurity, not enough pinephones to make this worth it).
 A small group of transistors will never be able to phone home. Functional blocks can.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Android apps on Pinephones Raniyah 1 4,196 11-23-2020, 10:39 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Are PinePhones Becoming More Usable On Each Release . . . NobodyNew1 42 47,131 11-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Last Post: aritual
Question PMOS EU-only PinePhones on the store? marcih 6 6,888 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Last Post: marcih
  Reselling Pinephones on ebay to make money out of it? Peter Gamma 50 45,540 10-08-2020, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Some assembly required/Pine phone bcnaz 1 3,515 11-03-2019, 12:22 AM
Last Post: tllim