[Temp Post] We have the trackapad/ keyboard firmware
Hi all,

We just received the trackpad / keyboard firmware. If it checks-out and we're happy with it I'll try to push it by end of the day on Monday.
I'll update this post in the event that something isn't right with the firmware.

[update Nov 15] Testing the firmware today. The compiling and flashing processes are rather involved, especially the latter, so this will need to be automated as much as possible.

[update Nov 16] We're still working on getting everything functional. As we're going though this process we're also figuring out how much this can be automated for end users. Its taking some time because the source code + documentation we're working with aren't exactly great.
Huge shout-out to @xalius for doing much of the leg-work on this; fixing and making stuff work.

Once we've got it all figured out on our end, I'll make sure to write up proper documentation for the process before pushing it to end-users, including steps to take if you mess something up.  

For end users the process will likely consist of running 3 scripts in a sequence. Out of the 3 stages the only really tricky one is number 2 as it requires you to identify the trackpad bus and device.

Here are the stages:
  • Stage 1) puts the keyboard in a state that allows you to bypass it for trackpad flashing
  • Stage 2) flashes new firmware to the trackpad
  • Stage 3) flashes keyboard firmware so it is usable again
[update Nov 18] @ayufan has pulled of some magic and managed to combine all the flashing stages into one script and done away with all the complexity. We have now also confirmed that the fw upgrade works as intended (!!!) preventing the unwanted behavior. The entire complicated process has now been boiled down to running a single script.

Permit a couple of days to get the flashing process completely ironed out and rock solid.

[update Nov 22]

We have the fix. At the time of writing the fix is being beta tested.

I'll close this thread and start a new one once the fix gets distributed.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

You guys rock! Thanks for the update!
Thank you!
(11-14-2019, 03:16 PM)Luke Wrote: Hi all,

We just received the trackpad / keyboard firmware. If it checks-out and we're happy with it I'll try to push it by end of the day on Monday.
I'll update this post in the event that something isn't right with the firmware.

Is it FOSS? What's the license? Is the source code available somewhere (git repo, tarballs)?
Awesome.
We should also have a history of the KB/TP firmware. Right now, we only have 2, but that will likely change. Let the users decide which they like.

That said, any KB/TP firmware that causes too many issues, should be blocked, and the reason why listed. With the source code of what it did wrong. After all, one intent of OpenSource is to allow lots of people to learn from prior work, and improve, (what every they decide is improve).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-14-2019, 03:16 PM)Luke Wrote: The compiling and flashing processes are rather involved, especially the latter, so this will need to be automated as much as possible.

We have some experience with this in QMK, and would love to help get it ported!
(11-15-2019, 08:40 AM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 03:16 PM)Luke Wrote: The compiling and flashing processes are rather involved, especially the latter, so this will need to be automated as much as possible.

We have some experience with this in QMK, and would love to help get it ported!

Thank you! Let us clean things up a bit first - the source we got from the vendor was.... messy (and not only).

(11-15-2019, 08:48 AM)Luke Wrote: Thank you! Let us clean things up a bit first - the source we got from the vendor was.... messy (and not only).

Maybe just a rewrite then Smile looking forward to checking it out!
(11-15-2019, 09:12 AM)jackhumbert Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 08:48 AM)Luke Wrote: Thank you! Let us clean things up a bit first - the source we got from the vendor was.... messy (and not only).

Maybe just a rewrite then Smile looking forward to checking it out!

Thats what @ayufan suggested ... anyways, we'll see. For now, we'll figure out the simplest way to push this to end-users.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook Pro Keyboard Keys calinb 2 974 09-02-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: calinb
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 786 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,736 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: wdt
  ISO keyboard Pinebook pro for sale tgrauss 3 3,506 11-01-2022, 04:45 AM
Last Post: tgrauss
  Suggestion / Warning about closed source wifi and keyboard / touch pad firmware omarcomputing 3 1,829 10-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
  Selling PineBook PRO with ISO Keyboard + NVME firefox-58 27 17,845 04-08-2022, 06:23 AM
Last Post: firefox-58
  Selling PineBook PRO with ANSI Keyboard + NVME woodeen 3 3,038 11-30-2021, 06:38 PM
Last Post: luca22
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,506 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z
Information 3rd party keyboard review golbinex 4 3,598 08-17-2021, 06:15 AM
Last Post: boteium