Using a v2.1 SSD adapter to fit a 2280 SSD (without trackpad interferance)
After reading these excellent instructions I wanted to try the same.  However, I don't have a dremel tool.  I wanted to use my miter saw but was stumped for a while about how to hold the adapter in place during the cut.  I ended up masking off the part of the board with the connector and using some #4 machine screws in existing holes in the board to hold it onto a piece of 2x6.  This kept my guide hand a safe distance away from the cutting blade, but I had to take care that I wasn't cutting next to one of the machine screws.  I also swapped my normal 60 tooth finishing blade for a 200 tooth plywood/osb blade.  It worked quite well, but as has already been noted PCB is surprisingly tough stuff.  I'm glad I went with a fine toothed blade and took my time during the cut.

Here is what it looked like after I made the cut:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1680]

Here is what it looked like after I installed the adapter with a drive in my PBP, but before I added a 1.5 mm thick strip of thermal pad between the drive and the bottom of the case:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1625]

Attached Files
.jpg   after_trim.jpg (Size: 67.91 KB / Downloads: 3,151)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using a v2.1 SSD adapter to fit a 2280 SSD (without trackpad interferance) - by Redbeard - 01-29-2020, 05:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restoring the OS using the eMMC Adapter xircledev 3 6,938 02-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Thovthe