Swaywm on Pinebook Pro
I love swaywm and Im happy to report it runs great on the pinebook pro. Here are some things you can throw in your config for sway in order to get started quickly on the pinebook pro.

Please note: I am using the default Manjaro Preview Build 2

Code:
# setup brightness keys. Make sure you install light package from repo
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec --no-startup-id light -A 10
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec --no-startup-id light -U 10

# set volume keys
bindsym XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec pactl set-sink-volume 1 +5%
bindsym XF86AudioLowerVolume exec pactl set-sink-volume 1 -5%
bindsym XF86AudioMute exec pactl set-sink-mute 1 toggle

# set keymap for iso keyboard on pinebook pro
input "9610:30:HAILUCK_CO.,LTD_USB_KEYBOARD_System_Control" xkb_model "pc105"
input * xkb_layout "mt(alt-gb)"

# set a cool wallpaper
output "*" bg /home/anjan/Pictures/Wallpapers/1446877031070.jpg fill

# when you press the screenshot function key, make a cursor appear asking you to select region for screenshot
# saves screenshot to /tmp/screenshot.png and copies to clipboard
# make sure you have installed grim, slurp, and wl-clipboard
bindsym Print exec grim -g "$(slurp)" - | tee /tmp/screenshot.png | wl-copy

# place the following line at the end of .config/sway/config
# if you have parts of your config specific to a specific host,
# you can make a file called .config/sway/`hostname` and sway
# will only run those lines when the host name matches
# the file's name. Makes version control easy.
include ~/.config/sway/`hostname`

my status command for my bar is:
Code:
  status_command sh ~/.config/sway/skybar.sh

skybar.sh contains the following lines to display the time and battery. You can extend this with your own needs. Smile
Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh

while
   { cat /sys/class/power_supply/rk-bat/capacity; echo "% "; date +'%Y-%m-%d %l:%M:%S %p'; } | tr "\n" " ";
do sleep 1;
done

Feel free to post these on the wiki.
thanks
I m also a huge fan of sway.
I didn't put it yet on my PBP (will do it soon, but I have first to switch to Manjaro
I have no experience with Wayland & Sway, but have gotten Bemenu, Termite, and Firefox to work.
Unfortunately, I'm unsure about how to connect to wifi networks and am assuming that the KDE network manager doesn't run on Wayland.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

(Do you have to disable the kde network services and install something like wicd? If so what exactly needs to be done.)

Thank you
(12-09-2019, 04:03 PM)stamper Wrote: I have no experience with Wayland & Sway, but have gotten Bemenu, Termite, and Firefox to work.
Unfortunately, I'm unsure about how to connect to wifi networks and am assuming that the KDE network manager doesn't run on Wayland.

(Do you have to disable the kde network services and install something like wicd? If so what exactly needs to be done.)

Thank you
I usually use:
https://github.com/firecat53/networkmanager-dmenu

or switch to xfce interface, change wifi settings and change back to sway.
Thanks. This is really useful. But for me it doesn't work. What packages except light do I need to install?

Also, did anyone get some sort of screen temperature tool (e.g. Redshift) working for wayland?
(12-09-2019, 04:03 PM)stamper Wrote: I have no experience with Wayland & Sway, but have gotten Bemenu, Termite, and Firefox to work.

Thank you

For now, as work around, I use this script:
> cat ~/bin/nmgui 
#!/bin/sh
nm-applet    2>&1 > /dev/null &
stalonetray  2>&1 > /dev/null
killall nm-applet
(12-09-2019, 04:03 PM)stamper Wrote: Unfortunately, I'm unsure about how to connect to wifi networks and am assuming that the KDE network manager doesn't run on Wayland.
I believe KDE network manager should run just fine on wayland. If not, it will still run on XWayland if it has to.

Does anyone know how to get the power button on the keyboard to show a confirmation dialog or similar with swaywm? When running KDE or other desktops, pressing it shows a dialog with options to logout/sleep/shutdown. With my current swaywm config, it immediately turns the laptop off.
(12-10-2019, 03:13 AM)lispy Wrote: Also, did anyone get some sort of screen temperature tool (e.g. Redshift) working for wayland?

The Swaywm wiki advises using this package from the AUR.
fancy finding this thread! i use sway and companion packages from git on debian sid arm64 as my main. with the latest panfrost driver from mesa-git this works perfectly.

helping to improve sway are the keyboard update, adding the function keys to the config (stolen from ARCH wiki entry), removing swaybar, adding waybar, using termit as xterm, uncommenting swayidle block, and launching waybar, termit, blueman-applet, nm-applet --indicator, and chromium at startup with exec.

thanks for you script and ideas.
@abdel @lispy see my nm-applet comment ^

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Recovery with Void Linux (xbps) bds 0 364 01-14-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bds
  Write SD cards with Etcher for Pinebook Pro futurejones 17 29,385 03-19-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: Alex007
  [GUIDE] ArchLinuxARM on Pinebook Pro hku2 10 19,173 12-25-2020, 05:44 AM
Last Post: boteium
  Program SPI NOR Flash on Pinebook Pro with u-boot on micro SD Card hmuller 0 3,393 09-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: hmuller
  Installing Docker on Pinebook Pro - update 1/18/20 SuperXkoodA 4 7,445 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Last Post: chaoskampf
  Quick Guide to installing Ubuntu Unity on your Pinebook Pro andybleaden@gmail.com 19 22,990 02-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MIchael
  Installing Wine i386 on Pinebook Pro wrzomar 0 3,211 01-31-2020, 03:52 PM
Last Post: wrzomar
  Hardening your Pinebook Pro software Arwen 4 7,324 12-11-2019, 09:53 AM
Last Post: hdk