Could someone explain the boot partition to me?
Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

I have my root moved to an hard drive on sata side and want to use the SD card only for boot, but I seem to be missunderstanding something about how the boot process works.
(11-14-2019, 02:13 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

I have my root moved to an hard drive on sata side and want to use the SD card only for boot, but I seem to be missunderstanding something about how the boot process works.

Yup, when you are running rootfs somewhere other than the SDcard, and using the SDcard to boot, all updates are made to /boot/. You need to duplicate them to the SDcard, I have a little script syncsd to do it for me

Code:
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/
sudo rsync -ax --delete /boot/ /mnt/boot/
cat /mnt/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
* ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Started Bionic minimal - now eoan, Openbox desktop for general purpose daily PC.
* PinePhone BraveHeart on order
(11-14-2019, 02:56 PM)dukla2000 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 02:13 AM)Mentaluproar Wrote: Using ayufan's buster minimal image, I noticed uboot seems to ignore the boot partition and instead looks at the boot folder in the root partition.  So if I update extlinux to load additional modules and look at sata for the root partition, it will ignore the changes because the system writes them to the boot partition instead of where uboot actually looks for it.

Yup, when you are running rootfs somewhere other than the SDcard, and using the SDcard to boot, all updates are made to /boot/. You need to duplicate them to the SDcard, I have a little script syncsd to do it for me

Code:
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/
sudo rsync -ax --delete /boot/ /mnt/boot/
cat /mnt/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf

There's a way to configure the fstab to point to the SD card so updates and extlinux initramfs changes are put in the right place without a sync command.  I just can't find an example of how and my own attempts just break things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upgrade Debian kernel on a SD/SATA drive boot combo. linuxha 6 95 2 hours ago
Last Post: dukla2000
  Ayufan 5.4.0 rc1 release - cannot boot Mentaluproar 1 115 11-27-2019, 04:26 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  new rockpro64: images won't boot [solved] new-rockpro-user 0 45 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Last Post: new-rockpro-user
  Successful boot from HDD mmatyas 1 530 10-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Last Post: alexvs
  u-boot for Arch Linux Arm prw 3 208 07-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Last Post: stuartiannaylor
Exclamation eMMC boot issue jwillmer 0 116 07-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jwillmer
  Problems flashing u-boot on RockPRO64 eMMC mau-tux 1 333 05-28-2019, 07:15 AM
Last Post: CrystalGamma
  Help at prompts during first boot. Diesel141 0 116 04-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Diesel141
  RockPro64 won't boot. Faradn 6 521 03-28-2019, 04:18 AM