Always in 'Charging' state, despite being disconnected from external power
Already ran the updater.

Battery is always in the 'Charging' state despite not being connected to external power.

Persists across power cycles.
Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(11-10-2019, 05:11 PM)xalius Wrote: Sounds like a hardware issue, does it actually charge?
You should open a support ticket just in case you need some replacement PCB.
Yes. It charges normally but disconnecting does not change the state.

How would I go about opening a ticket?
I also have this problem on any operating system. On chromium it can't even obtain batrtery status. I guess it goes along with the emmc not being recognized either. even after obtaining a new module (yes switches are set correctly, no it wasn't hotplugged) Hopefully support will get back to me on this
When connecting to a powered USB-C dock, the battery state changes to 'Discharging'.

Not connected to USB-C dock nor 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Discharging'
Connected to USB-C dock: 'Discharging', actual state is ???
Connected to 5V via barrel jack: 'Charging', actual state is 'Charging'
I made the same observations with my PBP. I charge it mostly via the barrel plug. It works just fine, but the status is wrong. The values presented in Power Statistics Details don't seem to be plausible, as well.
I'd like to share some new findings, complementing @phuzy's observations.  
  • No charger connected to either charging port -> PBP is always in charging state
  • Charging via the original charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> A couple of seconds after unplugging the charger from the socket, the PBP briefly changes state to 'discharging', then back to 'charging'.
  • Charging via my phone's USB-C charger, then unplugging the charger from the mains socket but leaving the charger connected to the PBP. -> The PBP  changes state to 'discharging'. As soon as I remove the UBS-C cable, the state changes to 'charging'.
@Luke or @tllim, can you tell whether this is a software or hardware issue?
Have you tried running a different OS from an SD card ?
Just curious, That could be a step in determining if it is a software or hardware problem.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Good point. No, I haven't tried any other OS, yet. If I find the time to try this, I'll post any new findings.
I had a similar issue yesterday with the Manjaro image : the battery status was "charging" even though the laptop was unplugged. Also, the charge percentage was frozen to some value and didn't update anymore. I checked with upower to make sure it wasn't just an UI issue with the tray applet.

Plugging/unplugging the cable didn't fix it but rebooting did.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo P{inebook Pro not charging Ome Ko 6 1,797 11-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Lockable-until-power-cycle persistent storage Melab 0 648 09-17-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Melab
  power on Pinebook Pro mainboard without keyboard? papable 0 783 07-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: papable
  When does Pinebook Pro power LED go on? Bram 0 570 03-14-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bram
  Doesn’t power on after flashing emmc badguru 3 1,120 02-25-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: badguru
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,680 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
Heart Now better battery life or power management? KC9UDX 5 2,148 09-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Very low battery (but charging) causes boot failures Phillip Bell 7 4,336 02-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,326 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
  External Monitor resolution (would like 3840x2160) Phillip Bell 3 2,099 11-17-2021, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Phillip Bell