HDMI->DVI Works "solution"
So I managed to get HDMI->DVI working today after a lengthy conversation with Baryluk yesterday night. I have previously experienced a problem where colour black would be displayed as pink on my monitor using a HDMI->DVI connection. This happened over a cable that had a HDMI connector on one end and a DVI on the other.  Today I bough a converter that plugs in on the end of a regular HDMI cable and I am no longer experiencing the problem with colour black being correctly displayed. For those of you in the UK/ EU - this is the converter I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Genuine...+converter

I've seen some posts about this on here so I figured its worth sharing.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(04-28-2016, 11:51 AM)Luke Wrote: I have previously experienced a problem where colour black would be displayed as pink on my monitor using a HDMI->DVI connection.

This is due to the display driver changing the color mode from RGB to YPbPr with some/most HDMI to DVI adapters. Changing the color mode in the display should also help (somewhere hidden deep in the on screen menu)
(04-29-2016, 09:00 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 11:51 AM)Luke Wrote: I have previously experienced a problem where colour black would be displayed as pink on my monitor using a HDMI->DVI connection.

This is due to the display driver changing the color mode from RGB to YPbPr with some/most HDMI to DVI adapters. Changing the color mode in the display should also help (somewhere hidden deep in the on screen menu)

Hmm ok. But why would my HDMI - DVI cable not work and this adapted work? Shouldn't the same problem be present in both cases ?

Having same issue here. I will look for where to set the color mode.
(05-03-2016, 07:42 PM)pii100 Wrote: Having same issue here. I will look for where to set the color mode.

Yup, if you can change the colour mode then that could aid the problem.

Some cables are just passively transmitting the signal, whereas your adapter is an active converter type.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
Is there a way to override the device drivers and force RGB?

I'm not sure my cheaper Dell monitor at home has anything but RGB. Only one of my three work monitors has the option to go YPbPr. It doesn't seem to be a common option on older displays.
(05-04-2016, 08:27 AM)Spaz Wrote: Is there a way to override the device drivers and force RGB?

I'm not sure my cheaper Dell monitor at home has anything but RGB. Only one of my three work monitors has the option to go YPbPr. It doesn't seem to be a common option on older displays.

Think there is, but nothing that a mere mortal can do. I remember someone explained what to do, I tried looking for it, but couldnt find it for you ...

(05-04-2016, 11:36 AM)Luke Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 08:27 AM)Spaz Wrote: Is there a way to override the device drivers and force RGB?

Think there is, but nothing that a mere mortal can do. I remember someone explained what to do, I tried looking for it, but couldnt find it for you ...

I'm going to try tonight and see what is possible. Seems like it should be a one liner in a config somewhere.

I think the xorg.conf might be my first stop.

Going to try this first. xorg.conf settings has color space options.

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "nvidia0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
Option "ColorRange" "Full"
# Option "ColorRange" "Limited"
# Option "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
Option "ColorSpace" "RGB"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "ModeValidation" "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080_60" "1920x1080_24" "1920x1080_23.976"
EndSubSection
EndSection
(05-04-2016, 12:18 PM)Spaz Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 11:36 AM)Luke Wrote:

I'm going to try tonight and see what is possible. Seems like it should be a one liner in a config somewhere.

I think the xorg.conf might be my first stop.

Going to try this first. xorg.conf settings has color space options.

Section "Screen"
   Identifier     "Screen0"
   Device         "nvidia0"
   Monitor        "Monitor0"
   Option         "ColorRange" "Full"
#   Option         "ColorRange" "Limited"
#   Option         "ColorSpace" "YCbCr444"
   Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"
   DefaultDepth    24
   Option         "ModeValidation" "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes"
   Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
   SubSection     "Display"
      Depth       24
      Modes      "1920x1080_60" "1920x1080_24" "1920x1080_23.976"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Sure thing. If you, by some miracle, manage to solve the problem make sure to let everyone know.

Just to let you know that you can now see bug status reports - and report new ones - on Lennyraposo's page: https://www.pine64.pro/

[edit] 

and here:  Linux
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=598

Android
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=791

Remix OS
http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=792

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can anyone get the power switch works? victorfence 0 1,943 11-28-2017, 01:31 AM
Last Post: victorfence
  TvHeadend works beautifully coleshores 9 14,178 10-16-2017, 03:39 PM
Last Post: g_t_j
  Linux TouchLCD+HDMI sharmayogesh 3 5,006 04-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: sharmayogesh
  HDMI 1080P Ophir 1 3,359 07-27-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Ghost
  DTS options for HDMI-DVI adapters xalius 0 1,958 07-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Last Post: xalius
  HDMI overscan problem Terra854 10 14,169 05-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Last Post: gdjsky01
  HDMI Overscan / Underscan Dygaer 1 3,678 04-28-2016, 07:40 AM