pinebook to pro upgrade path?
New member here... might as well jump in ...

Is the chassis of a Pinebook pro, essentially the same as the current $99 Pinebooks?

My question is somewhat backward... Really, I'm looking to see if I purchased a PB now, while waiting for a Pro to be shipped.... Could I incrementally upgrade the Pinebook, to a pro, by swapping out components?  I am thinking of getting a Pinebook for 2 of my grand daughters, and may want to update the main board, then memory, maybe the keyboard and monitor, over time. 

I'm sure the concensus would be to just cut to the chase, and get another Pro, rather than messing around with the upgrades. 

Curious as to how interchangeable the bits are, however . 

I Wich I had placed a pre-order for the Oro, when I first heard if it!

Thanks in advance,

Dennis
Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
(11-08-2019, 08:57 PM)dhosh Wrote: New member here... might as well jump in ...

Is the chassis of a Pinebook pro, essentially the same as the current $99 Pinebooks?

My question is somewhat backward... Really, I'm looking to see if I purchased a PB now, while waiting for a Pro to be shipped.... Could I incrementally upgrade the Pinebook, to a pro, by swapping out components?  I am thinking of getting a Pinebook for 2 of my grand daughters, and may want to update the main board, then memory, maybe the keyboard and monitor, over time. 

I'm sure the concensus would be to just cut to the chase, and get another Pro, rather than messing around with the upgrades. 

Curious as to how interchangeable the bits are, however . 

I Wich I had placed a pre-order for the Oro, when I first heard if it!

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Sorry to disappoint, but I am fairly certain this is not possible. I don't think the components of the Pinebook and Pinebook Pro are interchangeable.
I'm not really suprises... Different resolution screen, probably different keyboard footprint, etc. It would be cheaper just to purchase a new one, anyway!

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
(11-08-2019, 09:36 PM)dhosh Wrote: I'm not really suprises... Different resolution screen, probably different keyboard footprint, etc.  It would be cheaper just to purchase a new one, anyway!

Thanks!

They WILL be making a update board for the ole Pinebook,  it will bring it up to almost a new Pro, but will be compatible with their existing screens, that requires some add on heat sinks as the newer boards will generate more heat.
 The new Pros have a metal case that helps dissipate the heat.
 Not sure when the upgrade will be available as they are kind of busy at this moment,  but the upgrades are on the horizon.
  Luke has already disclosed this.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Wow... good news! That would be great. Incremental upgrades are very nice. One of the reasons I was looking at them was obviously the price, but also the frustration with having a perfectly running antique Dell laptop that 8 or so flavors of Linux wouldn't run on, and an early Chromebook with the same issue. Those were both given to me to try and get a working laptop for my grandkids. I was going to pull out a Raspberry Pi 2 in a home brew wood case , but a laptop would be better for them.

Thanks!

Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
(11-09-2019, 05:25 AM)dhosh Wrote: Wow... good news! That would be great.  Incremental upgrades are very nice. One of the reasons I was looking at them was obviously the price, but also the frustration with having a perfectly running antique Dell laptop that 8 or so flavors of Linux wouldn't run on, and an early Chromebook with the same issue.  Those were both given to me to try and get a working laptop for my grandkids.  I was going to pull out a Raspberry Pi 2 in a home brew wood case , but a laptop would be better for them.

Thanks!

Hmm  I have not encountered any problems running almost every distro of Linux on old Dells and HP's.....
 If it ran Windows, it will run even better with Linux especially Ubuntu as it comes with tons of 'private' drivers for the wifi.
  Straight Debian can be a little work installing wifi drivers, but Debian 'non-free' will run on a 'live' dvd or install.
  Especially easy on the older computers, laptops for even a novice,
    the newer ones you just need to be more familiar with entering the bios.
  Just some of the cheap Android computers and laptops were designed to be hard or near impossible to convert, but Google had them designed that way...  They did NOT want the Linux people converting them..!

>Before I bought my new Pinebook Pro,  every computer I used Linux on,   was a Windows computer that I installed Linux on.

My favorite cheap laptop is the Dell D-531,  You can use it as-is or cheaply upgrade the cpu, the hard drive with a new sata
   SSD (Starting at $28. for a 256gb)  increase the ram for a few bucks....
   In its day it was an enterprise laptop.  It will run slow with Windows 10, But it will fly with the newest Linux distros.!

The new Pinebook Pro is nice !  But,  Most computers can run Linux, most distros you can try first with a live dvd,
       Then install it if you like it.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
That's what I thought... The laptop I tried was a Dell D600. Doesn't want to boot to USB (even though it has an option to in bios), ad none of the CD flavors would boot, as the CPU didn't support 64 bit virtualization. Didn't work with 32 bit flavors of OS es, either. The Chromebook is a Samsung something or other-500-sonething or other... 2012 vintage. I can get into Dev mode, but tried CloudReady, and a couple light Linux flavors..... I am not finding steps to allow it to boot from USB, that work on this model.

Don't want to hijack my own thread, though. :-)

I ordered. PBPro, but wanted to get one of the $99 PBs, but they are out of stock, and apparently unable to preorder. (Sigh)....

Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
I have only used usb to install a few times, amostly dvd's
Guess most Chromebooks do not have disk drives...
Maybe your Dell has a 32bit cpu, though you could probably get a 64bit cpu for $5 to $25.00
My 17" Asus had a 32bit cpu for years, I upgraded it just a year or two ago, think I paid $17.00 they even gave me the heat sink grease for free with it.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Yes, the Dell does have a 32-bit processor. I hadn't thought about upgrading the CPU. I'll have to pull it apart and see if it is a swappable one, or not. Desktops usually are, but the laptops I thought were usually wave soldered in place. Maybe not? Thanks!

Dennis Hoshield
PBPro/ANSI/Manjaro
The Dells I have worked on are fairly simple to get into, probably is due to clean the cooling fins and fan while you have it open.
Ebay has the better prices and selection for cpu's - ram, while Newegg is great for inexpensive sata 2.5" laptop ssd's. (sata 3 is interchangeable with sata 1)
(I got a 128gb for $18. and a 256gb for $28. both work great.)

OH, I looked up the Dell D600, a Pentium M Huh ?
I don't know if you can get a 64bit cpu for that....
The Dell D531 I mentioned at least came with a Core - 2 - Duo, those were available with ether a 64 bit or 32 bit.
A D600 I assumed was after the D531, I guess not.
( I once picked-up a D531 with 2.0ghz Core-2-Duo that ran for $25 free shipping) (EBay)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinebook 1080p power/barrel connector/cable cel 0 496 08-03-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: cel
  eMMC compatible with Pinebook leperotero 0 1,321 07-19-2022, 07:15 AM
Last Post: leperotero
Heart [solved] Anyone selling their Pinebook? feyn 0 1,168 07-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Last Post: feyn
  Move PB Pro eMMC 128 GB to Pinebook 11 1080p petet0n76 1 1,563 06-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Last Post: tllim
  UART switch Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 3 3,216 01-03-2022, 03:28 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
Exclamation "6" Key direly needed for 11" Pinebook Corkonian 1 2,529 09-25-2021, 12:03 AM
  Pinebook 14 " Battery Swollen/Bulged billjon 1 3,535 01-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: barray
  touchpad on pinebook issues? ron_burgundy 14 13,505 12-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Pinebook doesn't charge anymore Reinoud 0 2,631 08-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Reinoud
Information How To Setup Serial Console Cable Over the Pinebook MarkHaysHarris777 4 22,683 07-02-2020, 06:33 PM