Manjaro ARM 19.12 Official Release - PineBook Pro
@pcm720 what's your Sway setup?
After messing around with KDE+Wayland, and being annoyed by the white overlays given to every window/notification, I thought "why the hell not?" and installed Gnome 3. I have to say, I'm VERY impressed by how responsive it has been! I expected it to be bloated and sluggish, as my previous experience with Gnome 3 on lower spec hardware has been. However, it's snappier than KDE+Wayland, there's not been any annoying overlays, and trackpad emulation works very well! (Though for some reason, when using tap-to-click, the lower right of the trackpad, which works as the right click in every other OS I've tried, does not. You have to do the two finger tap.)

I think Gnome 3 might actually be a good DE option to give to the Manjaro PBP images. (Though I understand if the great people maintaining them don't use Gnome or feel like fooling with it.)
(11-18-2019, 07:35 AM)tophneal Wrote: After messing around with KDE+Wayland, and being annoyed by the white overlays given to every window/notification, I thought "why the hell not?" and installed Gnome 3. I have to say, I'm VERY impressed by how responsive it has been! I expected it to be bloated and sluggish, as my previous experience with Gnome 3 on lower spec hardware has been. However, it's snappier than KDE+Wayland, there's not been any annoying overlays, and trackpad emulation works very well! (Though for some reason, when using tap-to-click, the lower right of the trackpad, which works as the right click in every other OS I've tried, does not. You have to do the two finger tap.)

I think Gnome 3 might actually be a good DE option to give to the Manjaro PBP images. (Though I understand if the great people maintaining them don't use Gnome or feel like fooling with it.)
Do you have the steps to install Gnome3?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
(11-18-2019, 08:07 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 07:35 AM)tophneal Wrote: After messing around with KDE+Wayland, and being annoyed by the white overlays given to every window/notification, I thought "why the hell not?" and installed Gnome 3. I have to say, I'm VERY impressed by how responsive it has been! I expected it to be bloated and sluggish, as my previous experience with Gnome 3 on lower spec hardware has been. However, it's snappier than KDE+Wayland, there's not been any annoying overlays, and trackpad emulation works very well! (Though for some reason, when using tap-to-click, the lower right of the trackpad, which works as the right click in every other OS I've tried, does not. You have to do the two finger tap.)

It was pretty simple, I just ran sudo pacman -S gnome

I intentionally left out gdm, as I wasn't sure if I didn't know if Gnome was worth keeping around. I also had some issues trying to install gnome-extra and didn't spend time tracking it down, but it's worth adding that to the install if you want the full switch.

After the install was complete, I logged out and chose Gnome (Wayland) from sddm.
(11-18-2019, 08:28 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 08:07 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote:

It was pretty simple, I just ran sudo pacman -S gnome

I intentionally left out gdm, as I wasn't sure if I didn't know if Gnome was worth keeping around. I also had some issues trying to install gnome-extra and didn't spend time tracking it down, but it's worth adding that to the install if you want the full switch.

After the install was complete, I logged out and chose Gnome (Wayland) from sddm.

I'm using gnome 3 and runs properly.

Gnome-extra has a dependence bug and can't install, you need to install single package of gnome-extra if you want it.

My pinebook pro system is using manjaro arm gnome 3 using emmc.

Goes very good in comparision with rest of distros.
(11-19-2019, 03:25 AM)erchache2000 Wrote: I'm using gnome 3 and runs properly.

Gnome-extra has a dependence bug and can't install, you need to install single package of gnome-extra if you want it.

My pinebook pro system is using manjaro arm gnome 3 using emmc.

Goes very good in comparision with rest of distros.
After discussing it with Strit, I've decided to just install individual packages from the group. When I looked up a list of packages in gnome-extra, it was mostly games. No thanks.
(11-18-2019, 07:35 AM)tophneal Wrote: After messing around with KDE+Wayland, and being annoyed by the white overlays given to every window/notification, I thought "why the hell not?" and installed Gnome 3. I have to say, I'm VERY impressed by how responsive it has been!

Well, no surprise, that's what Alyssa Rosenzweig (one of the main developer of Panfrost) runs on her ARM Chromebook so Panfrost is going to see a little bit more testing on Gnome than other DE.
(11-18-2019, 04:00 AM)PakoSt Wrote: @pcm720 what's your Sway setup?

I'm using waybar, wofi, mako and termite, all themed around Adwaita-dark with Google's Noto Sans as main font.
I also removed XFCE altogether and installed GNOME instead. IMO, GNOME apps look better with tiling WMs.
Here's how everything looks:
https://imgur.com/a/O5MEoDV
@pcm720 , that's really awesome setup!
Tried Gnome out the other evening. Responsiveness wasn't great when navigating through all the Gnome menus, but the window movement was smoother than on my much more powerful laptops. Very impressive!

The three main problems I have with Manjaro ARM right now are getting hardware acceleration to work in Chromium so that 1080P videos are playable on YouTube, the lack of 5 GHz WiFi, and the lack of suspend. Based on the rapid progress so far, I'm quite hopeful that these issues will be resolved in the coming months!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 1,066 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 291 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,624 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,766 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 340 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,163 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,237 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 89,138 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 415 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,264 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX