Manjaro ARM 19.12 Official Release - PineBook Pro
@spikerguy , that was fast! Now I think I shouldn't have left the PBP at home (didn't want to get distracted by the display not connecting problem). The itch to get the KDE working again is real Big Grin

For someone else who got stuck and can't update with the DE being broken (can't login, connect to wifi, etc):
ctr+alt+f2 will switch to tty2. Then just login with your username+password and you will end up in a nice CLI environment

Not everyone knows how to connect to the WiFi from CLI so I've found that USB tethering from a phone is the perfect way of getting online without any hassle. It gets picked automatically without any user input almost all of the time.
(11-13-2019, 04:03 AM)PakoSt Wrote: For someone else who got stuck and can't update with the DE being broken (can't login, connect to wifi, etc):

Ah okay, so it's not only me. I also got the mismatched libraries (mix of already upgraded KDE 5.64 and not yet available packages stuck at 5.63 with outdated libraries and missing C++ symbols) with unable to re-log into KDE.
As I'm new to ArchLinux, I tough I did something wrong with pacman.

(11-11-2019, 02:27 AM)mfritsche Wrote: If not, copy /etc/udev/hwdb.d/10-usb-kbd.hwdb from the default debian system to the same location of your Manjaro SD.

Haven't even noticed the missing brightness key. The hwdb.d entry indeed helped.

(11-13-2019, 03:25 AM)Luke Wrote: @chzbacon not a bug but a feature Wink more seriously tho, WiFi is using the SDIO interface - it itsn't plug-and-play like USB 2.0 - so once you cut power to it, you'll need to reboot so the kernel 'sees' it on boot.

Any chance to finding a way to manually force restarting the Wifi?
e.g: manually rmmod + modprobe again ?

After-all some SDIO interfaces are supposed to support some plug-and-play capabilities: I certainly remember hot-pluggin a SDIO Wifi card into the SD slot of my older PalmOS PDAs.

(11-13-2019, 04:14 AM)DrYak Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 03:25 AM)Luke Wrote: {...} more seriously tho, WiFi is using the SDIO interface - it itsn't plug-and-play like USB 2.0

After-all some SDIO interfaces are supposed to support some plug-and-play capabilities{...}

Okay, I got it.

First, trying to to just rmmod doesn't work:
Code:
$ sudo rmmod brcmfmac brcmutil cfg80211
$ modprobe brcmfmac
$ dmesg
[ 1299.511038] usbcore: deregistering interface driver brcmfmac
[ 1313.114017] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 1313.114781] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
[ 1313.132537] brcmfmac: probe of mmc0:0001:1 failed with error -110
[ 1313.133192] brcmfmac: probe of mmc0:0001:2 failed with error -110
[ 1313.133865] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac

But, after finding other people with similar problems of MMC module soldered on the motherboard that need manual restart but can't be physically unplugged, the following thing forced a restart of the Wifi (without reboot):
Code:
$ ls -d /sys/devices/platform/*.dwmmc/mmc_host/mmc0
/sys/devices/platform/fe310000.dwmmc/mmc_host/mmc0
$ echo 'fe310000.dwmmc' | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/dwmmc_rockchip/unbind
$ echo 'fe310000.dwmmc' | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/dwmmc_rockchip/bind
$ dmesg
[ 1845.593897] mmc0: card 0001 removed
[ 1849.712047] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: IDMAC supports 32-bit address mode.
[ 1849.712707] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: Using internal DMA controller.
[ 1849.713307] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: Version ID is 270a
[ 1849.713840] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: DW MMC controller at irq 27,32 bit host data width,256 deep fifo
[ 1849.714799] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: allocated mmc-pwrseq
[ 1849.715321] mmc_host mmc0: card is non-removable.
[ 1849.728861] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 400000Hz (slot req 400000Hz, actual 400000HZ div = 0)
[ 1849.777673] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 148500000Hz (slot req 150000000Hz, actual 148500000HZ div = 0)
[ 1850.622467] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: Successfully tuned phase to 47
[ 1850.627007] mmc0: new ultra high speed SDR104 SDIO card at address 0001
[ 1850.636215] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43456-sdio for chip BCM4345/9
[ 1852.731997] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43456-sdio for chip BCM4345/9
[ 1852.732808] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
[ 1852.734049] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/9 wl0: Sep  7 2018 14:33:37 version 7.45.96.27 (42b546f@shgit) (r) FWID 01-c958c084 es7.c5.n4.a3
[ 1860.053215] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready

Tada! Reboot-less restart of Wifi achieved!

Ideally, it would be great if the embed-controller firmware could be modified, so that not only does it shut-down the power to the Wifi chip, but it also sends an even to Linux (simulate soft "Wifi switch" key presses ?)
so that Linux could in turn unbind or rebind the SDIO accordingly on its side of things.

The bonus point:
- this would also make a quite quick hack for the people having troubles with Wifi. If the broadcom starts to behave and crash, just hit "Pine64 logo"+"F11" twice in a row to restart the damn thing thanks to the privacy switches !

(11-13-2019, 04:14 AM)DrYak Wrote: The bonus point:
- this would also make a quite quick hack for the people having troubles with Wifi. If the broadcom starts to behave and crash, just hit "Pine64 logo"+"F11" twice in a row to restart the damn thing thanks to the privacy switches !

Irony - level : over 9000!

Exactly when I was posting this, my Broadcom crashed and lost wifi.
And I did exactly perform the unbind/bind sequence to recover network and to get Firefox to successfully finish the "FORM POST" of the above post.

So now we definitely need somebody fluent in the EC to upgrade the firmware, and somebody fluent in the event handling to do map the bind/unbind to the simulated "Soft Wifi switch" keypresses.

---

And with that I have a good presentation machine for work. Yay!
(11-13-2019, 01:37 AM)spikerguy Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 09:42 AM)tophneal Wrote: Anyone tried out Wayland yet on Manjaro, yet? I just thought of this (or I would've installed it last night) while reading the linked article mrfritsche posted about Debos. I remember lima being okay, but usable on the Pinebook1080. I'm curious if Panfrost is any better. It would be great to have Night Light available, instead of Redshift/Geoclue2, which I've had nothing but problems with.
Yes I have tried Manjaro with Mainline Kernel, panfrost & wayland over KDE-Plasma, It seems to work fine, Panfrost is very much stable(Partially) though but its getting there. All you have to do is get a working Kde-Plasma Image and remove xf86-video-fbturbo-git then install wayland and switch to wayland on login screen.

Do share your experience with wayland on panfrost.

(11-12-2019, 01:42 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Can somebody confirm if KDE acceleration works?
I think the preview2-kde-plasma is having panfrost by default, And it have seem to work very smooth. Tried playing video on mpv & youtube it worked quite well for me. But you may try it yourself. 

(11-12-2019, 07:05 PM)cristobalhdez Wrote: The system crashed after last update.
I'm unable to boot into the system.
The problem seems to be related to Xorg not founding any display.
Please try to get into TTY2 and update again. If you're on KDE then there was a mis-match in kde apps & lib versions. Mostly an upstream issue but Strit have done a great job of downgrading them libs and got it to work.

UPDATE:
Strit have found the issue and have pushed an update to the repo.
Pushed a new update to the 
Code:
pinebookpro-post-install
 package that fixes it, but if you can't get in to update, you can get to a TTY and run:
Code:
sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-touchpad.conf

Then reboot.

Please try the above and share your feedback.

UPDATE2: New Kernel release should fix the audio crackling, Once it is uploaded to the repo then please update the kernel by running
Code:
sudo pacman -S linux-pinebookpro

Thanks

I opened a TTY2, 
Logged in with my user.
Removed the 90-touchpad file.
Rebooted.
I were able to login from GUI this time.
I ran: sudo pacman -Syy 
And then : sudo pacman -S linux-pinebookpro

All better now, but I'm afraid to do any upgrades haha
(11-13-2019, 06:43 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 09:42 AM)tophneal Wrote: Anyone tried out Wayland yet on Manjaro, yet? I just thought of this (or I would've installed it last night) while reading the linked article mrfritsche posted about Debos. I remember lima being okay, but usable on the Pinebook1080. I'm curious if Panfrost is any better. It would be great to have Night Light available, instead of Redshift/Geoclue2, which I've had nothing but problems with.
Yes I have tried Manjaro with Mainline Kernel, panfrost & wayland over KDE-Plasma, It seems to work fine, Panfrost is very much stable(Partially) though but its getting there. All you have to do is get a working Kde-Plasma Image and remove xf86-video-fbturbo-git then install wayland and switch to wayland on login screen.

(11-12-2019, 01:42 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Can somebody confirm if KDE acceleration works?
I think the preview2-kde-plasma is having panfrost by default, And it have seem to work very smooth. Tried playing video on mpv & youtube it worked quite well for me. But you may try it yourself. 

(11-12-2019, 07:05 PM)cristobalhdez Wrote: The system crashed after last update.
Please try to get into TTY2 and update again. If you're on KDE then there was a mis-match in kde apps & lib versions. Mostly an upstream issue but Strit have done a great job of downgrading them libs and got it to work.

UPDATE:
Code:
pinebookpro-post-install
 package that fixes it, but if you can't get in to update, you can get to a TTY and run:
Code:

Then reboot.

UPDATE2: New Kernel release should fix the audio crackling, Once it is uploaded to the repo then please update the kernel by running
Code:

Thanks

I opened a TTY2, 
Logged in with my user.
Rebooted.

`pacman -Syy` is typically considered dangerous, or at least unwise. You should always go with -Syu.
(11-13-2019, 07:39 AM)tsago Wrote:

UPDATE:
Code:
pinebookpro-post-install
Code:

Then reboot.

Code:

Thanks

I opened a TTY2, 
Logged in with my user.
Rebooted.

`pacman -Syy` is typically considered dangerous, or at least unwise. You should always go with -Syu.

I'm not familiar with this "Arch/Manjaron" world.
I googled "apt update" alternative in Manjaro and I found the next statement: "The equivalent of apt-get update in Arch Linux is pacman -Syy"
Looks like "pacman -Syu" is the equivalent to: "apt update && apt upgrade" and I was trying to update the list of packages only.
I

UPDATE:
Code:
pinebookpro-post-install
Code:

Then reboot.

Code:

Thanks

I opened a TTY2, 
Logged in with my user.
Rebooted.

Why... out of interest? I’ve typically run `pacman-Syyu` when updating Manjaro on my other laptop. What should I be doing?
(11-13-2019, 08:10 AM)Feakster Wrote:

UPDATE:
Code:
pinebookpro-post-install
Code:

Then reboot.

Code:

Thanks

I opened a TTY2, 
Logged in with my user.
Rebooted.

Why... out of interest? I’ve typically run `pacman-Syyu` when updating Manjaro on my other laptop. What should I be doing?

Yes the correct way to upgrade the whole system is 
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu

I asked users to just sync the db repo using 
Code:
sudo pacman -Syy
as the new file was just uploaded to the repo and -Syy would sync the mirror and the local db.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
Refreshing packages without doing an upgrade can cause dependency issues.
Refer to this or this.
Unless you have a very specific reason/scenario in mind, the best approach is to always just -Syu.
Code:
$ echo 'fe310000.dwmmc' | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/dwmmc_rockchip/unbind
$ echo 'fe310000.dwmmc' | sudo tee /sys/bus/platform/drivers/dwmmc_rockchip/bind
$ dmesg
[ 1849.712047] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: IDMAC supports 32-bit address mode.
[ 1849.713840] dwmmc_rockchip fe310000.dwmmc: DW MMC controller at irq 27,32 bit host data width,256 deep fifo
[ 1849.728861] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 400000Hz (slot req 400000Hz, actual 400000HZ div = 0)
[ 1849.777673] mmc_host mmc0: Bus speed (slot 0) = 148500000Hz (slot req 150000000Hz, actual 148500000HZ div = 0)
[ 1850.636215] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43456-sdio for chip BCM4345/9
[ 1852.731997] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43456-sdio for chip BCM4345/9
[ 1852.732808] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
[ 1852.734049] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/9 wl0: Sep  7 2018 14:33:37 version 7.45.96.27 (42b546f@shgit) (r) FWID 01-c958c084 es7.c5.n4.a3

This is what I was looking for - thanks!
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
(11-13-2019, 04:03 AM)PakoSt Wrote: For someone else who got stuck and can't update with the DE being broken (can't login, connect to wifi, etc):

Ah okay, so it's not only me. I also got the mismatched libraries (mix of already upgraded KDE 5.64 and not yet available packages stuck at 5.63 with outdated libraries and missing C++ symbols) with unable to re-log into KDE.
As I'm new to ArchLinux, I tough I did something wrong with pacman.

(11-11-2019, 02:27 AM)mfritsche Wrote: If not, copy /etc/udev/hwdb.d/10-usb-kbd.hwdb from the default debian system to the same location of your Manjaro SD.

Haven't even noticed the missing brightness key. The hwdb.d entry indeed helped.

(11-13-2019, 03:25 AM)Luke Wrote: @chzbacon not a bug but a feature Wink more seriously tho, WiFi is using the SDIO interface - it itsn't plug-and-play like USB 2.0 - so once you cut power to it, you'll need to reboot so the kernel 'sees' it on boot.

After-all some SDIO interfaces are supposed to support some plug-and-play capabilities: I certainly remember hot-pluggin a SDIO Wifi card into the SD slot of my older PalmOS PDAs.

(11-13-2019, 03:25 AM)Luke Wrote: {...} more seriously tho, WiFi is using the SDIO interface - it itsn't plug-and-play like USB 2.0

After-all some SDIO interfaces are supposed to support some plug-and-play capabilities{...}

Okay, I got it.

First, trying to to just rmmod doesn't work:
Code:
$ sudo rmmod brcmfmac brcmutil cfg80211
$ modprobe brcmfmac
$ dmesg
[ 1299.511038] usbcore: deregistering interface driver brcmfmac
[ 1313.114017] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[ 1313.114781] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
[ 1313.132537] brcmfmac: probe of mmc0:0001:1 failed with error -110
[ 1313.133192] brcmfmac: probe of mmc0:0001:2 failed with error -110
[ 1313.133865] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac

But, after finding other people with similar problems of MMC module soldered on the motherboard that need manual restart but can't be physically unplugged, the following thing forced a restart of the Wifi (without reboot):
Code:
$ dmesg
[ 1852.734049] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/9 wl0: Sep  7 2018 14:33:37 version 7.45.96.27 (42b546f@shgit) (r) FWID 01-c958c084 es7.c5.n4.a3

Ideally, it would be great if the embed-controller firmware could be modified, so that not only does it shut-down the power to the Wifi chip, but it also sends an even to Linux (simulate soft "Wifi switch" key presses ?)
so that Linux could in turn unbind or rebind the SDIO accordingly on its side of things.

The bonus point:

(11-13-2019, 04:14 AM)DrYak Wrote: The bonus point:

Irony - level : over 9000!

Exactly when I was posting this, my Broadcom crashed and lost wifi.
And I did exactly perform the unbind/bind sequence to recover network and to get Firefox to successfully finish the "FORM POST" of the above post.

So now we definitely need somebody fluent in the EC to upgrade the firmware, and somebody fluent in the event handling to do map the bind/unbind to the simulated "Soft Wifi switch" keypresses.

---

And with that I have a good presentation machine for work. Yay!

Thanks for that , it got it going again. One thing I did notice is that after reloading like this the adapter can't see my 5ghz network, only the 2.4ghz. I also had a problem on initial boot of both Manjaro and the factory installed Debian that although it could see the 5ghz network the first connection attempt would hang, then work on subsequent attempts, so maybe some firmware issue with the 5ghz support?

Update: ... and after a few minutes the 5ghz networks become visible again!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 444 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Manjaro Sway Theme Broken Eighty8 1 166 03-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,113 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Manjaro with Full Disk Encryption and GRUB dumetrulo 1 1,605 02-02-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: frankkinney
  Manjaro network problem late 2023 acruhl 1 213 01-19-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,914 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,979 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,622 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Manjaro 20.04 not loading from SD (with Manjaro on eMMC) zaius 1 291 12-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 992 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX