Android and Google Play Store on a PinePhone?
I have a friend who's very interested in open-friendly hardware and wants a PinePhone, but is stuck deeply in Google's service ecosystem. Ability to use Android and Google Play Store is a make or break feature for him. He said he'll preorder a PinePhone if (and only if) that is possible. What should I tell him?
(11-07-2019, 09:13 PM)Solra Bizna Wrote: I have a friend who's very interested in open-friendly hardware and wants a PinePhone, but is stuck deeply in Google's service ecosystem. Ability to use Android and Google Play Store is a make or break feature for him. He said he'll preorder a PinePhone if (and only if) that is possible. What should I tell him?

There is anbox that can make some android apps work, but it's not really mature.

There is also a lot of apps for ubuntu touch: https://open-store.io/

As for Android, I have no idea, most of the focus is on getting Linux OS's to work with the phone.
The user that provided us the Android /e/ image for the Pinebook expressed interest in producing a build for the PinePhone. If he does, /e/ already uses microg, which is a non-Google implementation of Google Services. Your friend would still be able to use any desired Google apps.
in addition, from what I understand are also porting salifish that has a layer of compatibility with android (although I do not know how they are porting it).
Plus if also replicants is ported, you can probably install the gaps on them too.
If this is still your friend's doubt, maybe you should wait for the official release and not the bravehearts edition, so you can see which systems are available instead of hoping that some of the possible ones will become available.
I want the Pine phone to get away from Google

Thankfully the Pine phone is about getting to make those choices.

Not certain, but aren't about 80+% of the smart phones currently Google/Android ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I used to be deep into the Android custom ROM scene, I was part of the FreeXperia Project that maintained Sony devices on AOSP. I stopped about three years ago when Sony took control of the project and turned it to shit.

I just ordered the BraveHeart edition and I hope to get back into Android ROMs again.

I'm sure a LOT has changed since then (I stopped before project Treble changed the internal architecture of AOSP) but I hope to get started ASAP!
(11-15-2019, 07:51 AM)stellirin Wrote: I used to be deep into the Android custom ROM scene, I was part of the FreeXperia Project that maintained Sony devices on AOSP. I stopped about three years ago when Sony took control of the project and turned it to shit.

I just ordered the BraveHeart edition and I hope to get back into Android ROMs again.

I'm sure a LOT has changed since then (I stopped before project Treble changed the internal architecture of AOSP) but I hope to get started ASAP!

Great to see more Android developers coming in! I hope if you're successful, you might look at porting to the Pinebook1080. Android performs very solidly on the A64 hardware.
(11-08-2019, 07:06 PM)vinnie Wrote: in addition, from what I understand are also porting salifish that has a layer of compatibility with android (although I do not know how they are porting it).
Plus if also replicants is ported, you can probably install the gaps on them too.
If this is still your friend's doubt, maybe you should wait for the official release and not the bravehearts edition, so you can see which systems are available instead of hoping that some of the possible ones will become available.

I don't know who is porting sailfish - as this makes a difference.
The official ports you can buy from jolla come with an android emulator called Alien Dalvik.
The community ports don't - so your can't run android apps one them.

Instead of play store on my current sailfish device i installed frdoid store - and from there yalp (aurora does the same) to install apps from play store by an anonymous account. This is currently been blocked by a change by the play store (after working for years)- but hopefully will work again sooner or later.

But i agree - i don't want android apps - but need some (for commuting, train tickets etc.) for apps that are only offered as ios or android. And that won't change for some time i guess. Some work with flaws on my sailfish mobile as i do not want google play services on them - but most work.

I hope that ubports/plasma etc. make a better decision then jolla - and open their app stores for paid apps to. Even if your open source fan - you have to admit that it can't be all done by someone in their spare time.

I like the way matrix (messenger) goes - with their patreon etc.
(12-11-2019, 12:52 PM)kaktux Wrote: I hope that ubports/plasma etc. make a better decision then jolla - and open their app stores for paid apps to. Even if your open source fan - you have to admit that it can't be all done by someone in their spare time.

I like the way matrix (messenger) goes - with their patreon etc.

What makes you think that FOSS means that someone is doing it in their spare time?
You do realise that recently a company in the business of FOSS was sold for billions of dollars, right?
Most kernel development is done by people doing it as their job.

As for paid apps I have no problem with that, what would turn me away from a given distribution is proprietary software in their main app store and/or repo. If that is to be delivered via the distribution that needs to be separated to ensure accidental cointamination doesn't happen.
It would be cool if Eelo (/e/) were ported to the PinePhone. I could think of a few situations you might want it on a spare SD card to boot for some Android app that you don't need for daily usage.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit] acid andy 32 23,328 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: donchurch
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,155 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,933 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,707 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,926 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,750 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,836 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,107 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega