Arch Killing long running node/npm processes before finishing
Question 
hello all,

when i run certian longer processes in node.js/npm, like an update ($ npm update -g) or to search for an npm package ($ npm search elm), it starts the process on my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2 GB board, but then half- or even three-quarters of the way through, it just kills the process before it completes; particularly, i noticed, when it's waiting for info to come back across the 'net through the ethernet port, with —

Killed

then it just gives me the command prompt again, process never completes. this happens no matter how many times i re-try it.

is there anyway to change a setting, somewhere, that will extend the amount of time before these processes are killed? any help would be much appreciated, please. thank you and advance. 

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Can you please provide the output of 'uname -a' and 'cat /proc/meminfo'
(04-28-2016, 10:59 AM)@tkaiser Wrote: Can you please provide the output of 'uname -a' and 'cat /proc/meminfo'

@tkaiser —

sure! thank you for the help. 

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux alarm 3.10.65-2-pine64-longsleep #39 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 4 21:55:14 CET 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:                    1002164 KB
MemFree:                      568180 KB
Buffers:                       86380 KB
Cached:                        95496 KB
SwapCached:                        0 KB
Active:                       258452 KB
Inactive:                      89028 KB
Active(anon):                 155952 KB
Inactive(anon):                 2104 KB
Active(file):                  92500 KB
Inactive(file):                86924 KB
Unevictable:                       0 KB
Mlocked:                           0 KB
SwapTotal:                         0 KB
SwapFree:                          0 KB
Dirty:                             0 KB
Writeback:                         0 KB
AnonPages:                    155648 KB
Mapped:                         7692 KB
Shmem:                          2428 KB
Slab:                          58608 KB
SReclaimable:                  43192 KB
SUnreclaim:                    15416 KB
KernelStack:                    2576 KB
PageTables:                     2692 KB
NFS_Unstable:                      0 KB
Bounce:                            0 KB
WritebackTmp:                      0 KB
CommitLimit:                  501080 KB
Commit_AS:                    746612 KB
Vmalloctotal:              251658176 KB
Vmallocused:                   23944 KB
Vmallocchunk:              251625116 KB
HugePages_Total:                   0 KB
HugePages_Free:                    0 KB
HugePages_Rsvd:                    0 KB
HugePages_Surp:                    0 KB
Hugepagesize:                   2048 KB

there you go. please let me know and thank you for the help.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Thx for the answer. The OS image you're using is obviously only able to recognize 1 GB RAM (know issue, fixed by longsleep ages ago) and also the kernel is rather outdated. By simply executing the three lines below you get 1 GB more useable DRAM, a fixed MAC address without any hassles and a bunch of other fixes for free.

Unfortunately the Pine64 folks do a really really bad job providing necessary informations (maybe for a reason? Marketing matters) and all you need to do is to update both u-boot and kernel.

Please read through these instructions:

- http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=737
- http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=293

TL;DR: To update any of the available OS images all that's needed is just the following executed as root followed by a reboot:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_uboot.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_kernel.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_fix_whatever.sh)

It's a shame that such essential information isn't provided at the download location where every new user searches for software.

Regarding your real issue I would suspect reading through 'man nohup' should be able to solve the issue? Smile
(04-28-2016, 10:14 AM)faddah Wrote:
hello all,

when i run certian longer processes in node.js/npm, like an update ($ npm update -g) or to search for an npm package ($ npm search elm), it starts the process on my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2 GB board, but then half- or even three-quarters of the way through, it just kills the process before it completes; particularly, i noticed, when it's waiting for info to come back across the 'net through the ethernet port, with —

Killed

then it just gives me the command prompt again, process never completes. this happens no matter how many times i re-try it.

is there anyway to change a setting, somewhere, that will extend the amount of time before these processes are killed? any help would be much appreciated, please. thank you and advance. 

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Linux doesn't normally kill processes that run long. Try "dmesg | tail" after the process is killed to see if something like oom is killing it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what/where is the package manager on Arch Linux? spruce1 9 11,966 04-03-2019, 05:58 AM
Last Post: jose.ramirez
  Arch Linux mainline XFCE pineadmin 12 33,982 02-21-2019, 05:52 AM
Last Post: starcrescent
  Arch Linux image (BSP Kernel) longsleep 28 74,852 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Archlinux up and Running scnd 4 7,196 04-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Leoncito81