Restore default Debian system
Hi...
just to follow up with my original issue:

>sudo dd if=pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit-191123.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 status=progress
>dd: failed to open 'dev/mmcblk1' : No such file or directory

I unmounted the partitions first:   umount mmcblk1p1 and mmcblk1p2
>ref: http://forum.banana-pi.org/t/how-to-use-...m-emmc/874

looking at my original post and the error indicating the failure to open 'dev/mmcblk1' I also wonder if I actually had dev/mmcblk1 vs /dev/mmcblk1 ...newbie error.
At this point the new OS is loaded on the emmc and the Pinebook Pro boot correctly.
 Is it Possible :  Using (Pine store accessory)   "usb to eMMC adapter"   and   load mrfixits OEM Debian on to the eMMC drive  ?

Thanks  !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
>  Can I preload a working OEM Debian operating system onto an eMMC     using the usb to eMMC adapter I purchased from the Pine store

This could possibly simplify the whole process.

Originally I got the adapter so I could upgrade my PBP to the 128gb eMMC  with a fresh copy of the OEM Debian.

But  It also looks like this could be very helpful for many of the problems in this thread  !   ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I was having the same issues and was very frustrated with the process. I posted my work-around that fixed all my issues in this post https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8714
With my restore I used the mentioned DD command to transfer the image file "pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit191226.img " to the emmc.
This finished successfully but when I shutdown and remove the SD card to boot from emmc the laptop seems in a loop (perhaps similar loop as mentioned).

To get access to the laptop again, I rebooted from the SD card using the image mentioned above and this works.
Any suggestions how I can proceed towards a successful emmc install?

Best regards,

Peter
I currently have Android installed on my emmc and I want to replace it with the mrfixit build.  

Currently when I boot it up with the UART connected, the pinebook pro runs a continuous boot loop with both the emmc enabled and a working Linux on the SD card (manjaro) in inserted.  

Both systems boot properly; emmc when no SD card is inserted and the SD card when the emmc is disabled.

I don't have an emmc USB adapter and can't get one for a while.  I'm including my logs from the UART if anyone has an idea of how to solve the problem. 

I do have a 16gb emmc from the original pinebook 

Thanks

Attached Files
.txt   AndroidEMMC-LinuxSD.txt (Size: 8.08 KB / Downloads: 307)
.txt   AndroidEMMC.txt (Size: 1.26 KB / Downloads: 297)
.txt   LinuxSD.txt (Size: 26.61 KB / Downloads: 300)
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
I managed to get a copy of manjaro with KDE to boot from a newer SD card. I held the power button longer than normally. I didn't capture a UART output, but I managed to erase Android with a copy of Manjaro
Working as a Film Electric and I have been using Linux since around 2002. 
Like to play with Python and Jupyter Lab/Notebooks when not going to the park with my baby girl.
I ordered an eMMC to microSD from Amazon and managed to reflash the system back to factory in just a couple of minutes.

It's super simple using the instructions in the OP.

Now I have Netflix in Chromium which is great, not in Firefox though.
(11-08-2019, 06:33 AM)zaius Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 05:15 AM)perceg Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 12:17 AM)xircledev Wrote: I was looking for instructions like this. Everything worked as planned until I tried to reboot. Now the machine is stuck in a loop trying to boot. It never makes it to the boot screen. I can't even run the desktop from the SD now. Any clue as to what I can do?
Thanks.

Same thing here. In order to boot from the SD I needed to switch off the eMMC using the onboard switch. In order to do that you need to open up the bottom cover, look for the white switch to the left of eMMC (numbered 24 on the Pinebook Pro Internal Layout photo at https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo..._Main_Page) and push it sideways into the off position. 

Now I can boot from the SD, but obviously still looking for the way to successfully flash default Debian system back to eMMC.

It's a known problem.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8162
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8163
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8031

You can edit the SD card so that it boots with Debian installed on the eMMC.

You could switch the eMMC off, boot SD, then switch the eMMC back on.  However, opening up a computer that is powered up is generally a bad idea.

You could boot Ubuntu off SD, follow the instructions in the tutorial section to install it to eMMC, then boot Debian off SD, then install it to eMMC.
I too just recently followed the steps from cristobalhdez and it wont boot from emmc. Though I can boot debian from sdcard unlike the others. You mention in your last tip to follow the instructions in the tutorial section to install it to eMMC, where is this? The wiki? I cant find that there, just the link to MrFixit's Debian image. Mind sharing link or steps to do this if it's different from the steps that I followed in post #7? Thank you.

Edit: So I'm not sure what went wrong the first time but I tried it a second time and all is working.
I am a little bit confused, as many others I might have corrupted uboot on the emmc with Debian.
I can boot into the Debian emmc, without sd inserted. It doesn't shutdown completely anymore though, I have to use the power button to power it off.

I can't boot from sd, even if I disable emmc from the switch. I tried to boot Manjaro and the default debian distro from sd without luck.
With the emmc disabled it doesn't turn on at all. With emmc enabled and micro sd inserted it just gets to a black screen.

I also tried to remove and re-attached the ribbon cable to the micro-sd.

Any ideas please?

I ordered the usb to emmc adaptor, but I know it will take a while to come down.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 833 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
Exclamation 'failed to open panfrost' after system update using archarm Puckla 1 303 03-01-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Puckla
  Nethunter default password failed lamlarryyyy 0 328 11-23-2023, 02:48 AM
Last Post: lamlarryyyy
  install debian on pbp jsch 7 3,979 11-22-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Fedora 36 -> 37 upgrade kills system tydeman 0 436 10-28-2023, 09:53 AM
Last Post: tydeman
  How to mainline kernel on daniel thompson's debian installer? hellojack 14 7,267 09-07-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Unable to install Debian Bullseye because of missing wifi firmware Pino64 7 3,972 07-15-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: u974615
Question Debian (Vanilla) no output on display after Kernel update (6.0.8-1) as365n4 1 1,253 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Last Post: as365n4
  Unsuccessful using danielt's unofficial Debian installer on the PBP joeDoe 2 2,301 12-09-2022, 05:04 AM
Last Post: ndp
  How can I install Debian? ImmyChan 1 2,004 10-19-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: alpopa