30.91%
Textures or photography
7.27%
Humor
3.64%
55 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skins for the community
(11-06-2019, 04:20 PM)Schtromar Wrote: Very much interested in it. In fact I already ordered some vinyl foil a couple days ago. I haven't started designing anything, but I do have access to a laser cutter, so I'd be happy to help any way I can as soon as I get my PBP (I'm in the December batch).

Oh snap! You can make some wicked stuff with that. I hope you show it off for us.

I'll happily share resources with you. I plan to provide any templates I make as vector PDFs, here on the forum. It shouldn't take long to make them when I get the spec drawings.

The more the merrier! I have a few ideas floating around, but I need some more time to hammer them out into solid concepts.
I have a cutter and some extra vinyl from when I made decals. Slowing getting back into it over the next couple months. If you get any measurements from the pinebook team please share I'd love to contribute back with templates and so on so others can deck out their PBP. Smile

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell
I'll leave sharing the spec drawings to the Pine team's discretion. That's a line I don't feel comfortable crossing without their explicit approval. I'm sure there's some IP involved, and I don't want to potentially do them any wrong.

I will however use them to create vector templates that I will make readily available anyone on the forums, and possibly the wiki if it handles attached files better than the forum. If the Pine team posts the drawings to the forum for us, then whoever has the time and energy first is more than welcome to make templates first.
(11-07-2019, 10:00 AM)tophneal Wrote: I'll leave sharing the spec drawings to the Pine team's discretion. That's a line I don't feel comfortable crossing without their explicit approval. I'm sure there's some IP involved, and I don't want to potentially do them any wrong.

I will however use them to create vector templates that I will make readily available anyone on the forums, and possibly the wiki if it handles attached files better than the forum. If the Pine team posts the drawings to the forum for us, then whoever has the time and energy first is more than welcome to make templates first.
I didn't even think of that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell
Lucky for me, work's been a bit slow the last couple of days (wish I could bring in my PBP and dink around on it) so I thought I'd start making the most of it.

I thought I'd start by creating an abstract, as they're still pretty popular for skins and offer some fun opportunities to make interesting stuff. This is one I threw together over the last hour or so. I wanted to try my hand at something semi abstract, and I chose the "reload" icon because it made me think of the ease of swapping/running new OSes that I associate with Pine.

This is setup as a lid option, per the outer dimensions of the PBP, with a little bleed added. (I don't have the drawings yet, I just wanted something to do.) If you like it, cool! If not, no problem, we won't make you put it on your PBP. I'm open to any critiques if anyone has suggestions that might improve it.

In the end, I want to have some simpler options (like just the Pine logo, in several color options) and some simpler abstracts, like this one, available in a GIT repo. I'm thinking I'll put a pretty open license on them, too, so that there will be freely available options for the community.

[Image: JB1A3yG.png]
@tophneal , looks awesome!

The abstract incorporates some light shadows already. Maybe one behind the pine logo would make it pop more? For being the item in the center it can get a bit lost in the background with it's flat look.
I would definitely consider a lid cover, once (and if) all the hardware problems have been resolved. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to polish what doesn't work too well.
(11-07-2019, 06:35 PM)PakoSt Wrote: @tophneal , looks awesome!

The abstract incorporates some light shadows already. Maybe one behind the pine logo would make it pop more? For being the item in the center it can get a bit lost in the background with it's flat look.

Seeing the image smaller than I was working on it, I see what you mean. I wanted to stick with pine logo blues and greets, but I think I'm going to lower opacity on them a bit. That would help the logo too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sticking with the current color scheme should be fine and I quite like it! Adding a shadow behind the pine logo (casted over the decals) could do the trick.

Sorry for repeating myself, I'm not sure how articulate it in understandable fashion Big Grin
No you're good! I'll post an update in an hour or so. File is on my work computer.

EDIT:

This image has a drop shadow on the logo, as suggested.
[Image: ClinOkF.png]

This is an alternate that places the logo within a dark grey circle, instead, to help separate it from the background.
[Image: slSgVBw.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Community Wallpapers tophneal 15 14,381 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Just a thank you of creating a community device that makes HW fun again gabeeg 1 2,923 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro Community pre-order ending / public pre-order open on 25th Luke 8 12,731 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: mjsabby