30.91%
Textures or photography
7.27%
Humor
3.64%
55 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skins for the community
Looks like another slow work week, so....

Skinning templates are now available for anyone that would like them. I've posted links to each on the wiki. They're currently stored on my GDrive, but if anyone has suggestions for a better long term storage, please let me know.

Inside each are 3 layers: CUT (our cut lines/shapes live here, DO NOT remove these,) TEMPLATE (these provide an outlined view of the PBP case part being skinned,) and ART (place custom art in his one.) When sending to a printer, you should only need to hide the TEMPLATE layer, after setting up your artwork.

Please note, to aid with application and to avoid covering the microphone holes and LEDs, the uppermost strip of the palmrest has been removed. So skins will rise from the bottom, along the side, and stop in the upper corners without going in front of the hinge. This should also help to reduce any tearing/stretching if the vinyl needs to be removed.

If printing your own, I highly recommend using a low tack vinyl, so that if there are any issues during application, you can remove the vinyl with less chances of stretching or tearing it.

Since it started as the most popular, I will be getting with @krishorne5 about vinyl options, and start prototyping a black logo on clear vinyl skin for the lid. Hopefully I'll have some more progress to share in the next week or two.
The slow work week continues! Some others mentioned carbon skin in another thread, which got me thinking, and eventually making this skin option:

[Image: Aq4VNNo.jpg]
[Image: qoUfRXf.png]

You can download the print files here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qj0kY9...UshCWeWoPj

Since this is a pretty simple pattern, if you want to see it on any of the other case parts, let me know and I'll share the files and a mockup. I had time on my hands, and set up the rest of the files. The link above has been updated to point to the folder containing the files for each case piece. I've also added a mockup for the palmrest, but could not find a good image for mocking up the case bottom.

If anyone has good shots of their PBP's lid, bottom, and palmrest, please share them. I don't have a good camera available and it's hard to find large enough images to produce good mockups.
(12-02-2019, 11:26 AM)tophneal Wrote: Looks like another slow work week, so....

Skinning templates are now available for anyone that would like them. I've posted links to each on the wiki. They're currently stored on my GDrive, but if anyone has suggestions for a better long term storage, please let me know.

Hey, thanks for this. Very useful. I will try these with inkscape + krita as soon as I have a bit of time for this. I already attempted something with the previous images (the more detailed images of the PBP) but it was a bit of a pain since the files didn't actually open properly in anything except illustrator.
(12-05-2019, 07:38 AM)undo Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 11:26 AM)tophneal Wrote: Looks like another slow work week, so....

Hey, thanks for this. Very useful. I will try these with inkscape + krita as soon as I have a bit of time for this. I already attempted something with the previous images (the more detailed images of the PBP) but it was a bit of a pain since the files didn't actually open properly in anything except illustrator.

No problem! I'm glad there's a way I can help out the community, not being a developer and having so-so Linux/hardware knowledge.

Check back later today or tomorrow. I'll be updating the template files. @krishorne5 deals with more CAD files than I do. When I sent him a skin file to quote and run, he noticed the jaggedness of the lines from the CAD export and offered to smooth them out.
(12-05-2019, 07:41 AM)tophneal Wrote: No problem! I'm glad there's a way I can help out the community, not being a developer and having so-so Linux/hardware knowledge.

Same here. I am trying to get to at least somewhat understand what "development" means Smile but in the meanwhile maybe I can paint a skin or a wallpaper. That's something that isn't a huge learning curve for me.
The weave looks good. Personally I'd prefer the logo in white rather than blue.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-05-2019, 11:38 AM)Luke Wrote: The weave looks good. Personally I'd prefer the logo in white rather than blue.

White/Grey weaver, or just solid white? Luckily, that's pretty easy change. I'll add the option once I get the smoothed out drawings to reset the templates.

If there are any other colors people would like to see in this design (weave or solid) just let me know!
(12-05-2019, 11:45 AM)tophneal Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 11:38 AM)Luke Wrote: The weave looks good. Personally I'd prefer the logo in white rather than blue.

White/Grey weaver, or just solid white? Luckily, that's pretty easy change. I'll add the option once I get the smoothed out drawings to reset the templates.

If there are any other colors people would like to see in this design (weave or solid) just let me know!

I'd like to see a dark grey weave with a black logo too.
BTW featured you original design in the community update Wink
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I'll whip those 3 up once I get the cleaned up files back.

Cool!

Went ahead and setup the other options, mentioned by @Luke . I don't have the cleaned up template files back yet, but that doesn't have to stop general design and mockups.

First is the solid white logo on carbon weave:
[Image: tCtUxbh.png]

Next is a light grey-white carbon weave logo:
[Image: oai47Nq.png]

Finally, a darker carbon weave background, with a solid black logo (drop shadow was removed from the logo on this one, to help keep the logo from blurring into the weave):
[Image: UIv0ZTY.png]
This would have awesome to have installed before mine fell out my truck. Lol

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Spiceworks Community: That_IT_Guy
Twitter: @myhelpdeskhell

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Community Wallpapers tophneal 15 14,729 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Just a thank you of creating a community device that makes HW fun again gabeeg 1 2,988 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro Community pre-order ending / public pre-order open on 25th Luke 8 13,036 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: mjsabby