30.91%
Textures or photography
7.27%
Humor
3.64%
55 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Skins for the community
(01-26-2020, 02:10 AM)mamboman777 Wrote: After trying to apply vynl on my own with a hobby knife... I'm ready to let the professionals do the hard work. ?

Haha! Well no worries, we're doing everything we can to make it as easy as possible on the end user. We're adding double back slits so after aligning the skin you can focus on one piece at a time, instead of having a big unyielding piece of vinyl that tried to stick to itself. The vinyl was chosen specifically for it's ability to be removed and reset with little to no loss in adhesive tack.

A small, "private beta" of the skins has already begun, with select prototypes already en route to the testers. We'll be asking for their feedback on anything that gives them issues.

We are also planning to get one of the guys on the production line, who's scary good at laying vinyl, to help us make a video to demonstrate proper application.
A dark grey on black skin based on this wallpaper would look pretty slick. Something low contrast that is inline with the inherent stealthiness of the PBP:  https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...kojet6.png

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to have black vinyl with this logo pattern being in the form of a matte on gloss finish?
(01-28-2020, 01:58 PM)gordie Wrote: A dark grey on black skin based on this wallpaper would look pretty slick. Something low contrast that is inline with the inherent stealthiness of the PBP:  https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...kojet6.png

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to have black vinyl with this logo pattern being in the form of a matte on gloss finish?

Making that into a skin wouldn't be too hard. I'll look into setting it up when I have enough time to do so, next.

Concerning your matte on glossy question, I'd probably say not exactly. Most vinyls are glossy to begin with, but it might be possible to use a matte finish on them, but I believe for the best cost we'd need to use that finish on all of it. Really, I've been out of that aspect of the production game for a few years. @krishorne5 would be the more appropriate person to answer this.

New skin design, with a few fun, semi-hidden goodies! I still need to clear the logo for usage, but I have a feeling it'll be ok. We'll see.

[Image: BUV7ZJy.jpg]
Added a new poll option based on a conversation in IRC: Humor. These will likely be text-based, and lid skins only. These will also be heavily based upon suggestions by the community.

For example: tomboy64 in the IRC requested one that reads "NO F&%#IN' BLOBS IN GIT" (or was it "binaries"? I don't have a good recollection of IRC logs Tongue)
Pinebook Professionals,

I would like to create my own skin for the PBP but I have no idea how.  I've been reading and watched a couple videos but still have many questions.  Here are a ideas/questions:

* Size -- I see the great pdf's of the lid, bottom, and palmrest.  They are nice but are bigger than any printer I have access to.  Most printers today will to just Letter or A4 and some will also print US legal.  US legal would work.  Or larger and cut to legal size since nobody seems to use legal size anymore.  I've seen some 12"x12" vinyl sheets that could be cut to fit the printer then cut to fit the PBP.  I have access to a color laser that would print the legal size. Any suggestions?

* Vinyl -- I see on this forum that the experts on this group have selected a clear vinyl that they believe will work best on the PBP.  Can someone share the brand and type?  I need to make sure it is laser printable.  Mostly, I just want to start with something good.

* Issues -- Are there any tips or tricks to do this?  I see on this forum that after trying some are begging to give money to the professionals.  I think I could do this, except, these sites seem to have a limited pre-selection of popular laptops.  And many won't do clear background. Does anyone know a popular laptop that is very close in dimension to the PBP?

* Why -- I want to print the logo of a beloved computer I had in my home 30 years ago.  The company is long gone but the logo is in public domain.  If I figure this out I'll post a pic.

Bill
(02-22-2020, 03:45 PM)ColoBill Wrote: Pinebook Professionals,

I would like to create my own skin for the PBP but I have no idea how.  I've been reading and watched a couple videos but still have many questions.  Here are a ideas/questions:

* Size -- I see the great pdf's of the lid, bottom, and palmrest.  They are nice but are bigger than any printer I have access to.  Most printers today will to just Letter or A4 and some will also print US legal.  US legal would work.  Or larger and cut to legal size since nobody seems to use legal size anymore.  I've seen some 12"x12" vinyl sheets that could be cut to fit the printer then cut to fit the PBP.  I have access to a color laser that would print the legal size. Any suggestions?

* Vinyl -- I see on this forum that the experts on this group have selected a clear vinyl that they believe will work best on the PBP.  Can someone share the brand and type?  I need to make sure it is laser printable.  Mostly, I just want to start with something good.

* Issues -- Are there any tips or tricks to do this?  I see on this forum that after trying some are begging to give money to the professionals.  I think I could do this, except, these sites seem to have a limited pre-selection of popular laptops.  And many won't do clear background. Does anyone know a popular laptop that is very close in dimension to the PBP?

* Why -- I want to print the logo of a beloved computer I had in my home 30 years ago.  The company is long gone but the logo is in public domain.  If I figure this out I'll post a pic.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Your best bet really, is to probably find a good sign shop in your area, or a place that prints car vinyl/wraps. They should have the ability to print and cut at the sizes you need for the templates.
If you need the dimensions of the PBP, you can find them on the wiki, in millimeters.

The initial vinyl test was clear, but we will only be using it depending on the design. We will be using an opaque, white version of the same vinyl for most printed options. I may not be able to tell you the brand, as I believe it is made specifically for the company helping us prototype. Luckily, you don't need that vinyl to make your own, a good vinyl for use on cars, will have all the traits you need in an appropriate vinyl. I've honestly been out of that industry for several years. This is why I suggest finding a place that can do printed stuff for cars. If you want it printed on clear, find a place that can print white.

We've had the slow rolling because currently, only our own money and time is behind it, and we have to balance it with our full time jobs and the paying customers of the production company. Sometimes that means our skinning project, doesn't get the time on the press that we want or need to progress it to a ready-to-sell state. We're working with them to have scheduled press time once we have the best possible product we can make.

Tips: if you make your own skins, try to back slit them. It makes removing the backing paper and laying the vinyl a lot easier. Look into "hinging." If there isn't any laminate on your print, don't use something hard as a squeegee. You could scratch your print. Clean the PBP surfaces with rubbing alcohol first. A small amount of window cleaner/soapy water can help reposition vinyl before applying pressure, but of course be very careful doing this and use very small amounts applied directly to the vinyl adhesive.
I'm pretty late to the party, but I would love a carbon fiber skin for the top and the hand rests.
librefree.me
(02-18-2021, 02:24 PM)Braillynn Wrote: I'm pretty late to the party, but I would love a carbon fiber skin for the top and the hand rests.

i can make those files available for you if you really want 'em! unfortunately, i'll probably never get the promised press time to run these off Sad but I can give you print ready files you can take to local printer.
(02-18-2021, 02:30 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 02:24 PM)Braillynn Wrote: I'm pretty late to the party, but I would love a carbon fiber skin for the top and the hand rests.

i can make those files available for you if you really want 'em! unfortunately, I'll probably never get the promised press time to run these off Sad but I can give you print ready files you can take to local printer.
As much as I would love them, I'm not in the know as to what to do with them. Would you be willing to give me a little insight?
librefree.me
Sure thing. It’s pretty easy, really.

Look around locally for a sign or decal shop, preferably one that has various vinyl types available and can print (and plot/cut the printed vinyl.)

I suggest taking your PBP and going to their store front to help determine which vinyl they stock will be most appropriate.

From there, you can give the art file to the printer. It is setup with the art and cut lines. Any competent print should have no problem using it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Community Wallpapers tophneal 15 14,376 06-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Last Post: SpoofyKid
  Just a thank you of creating a community device that makes HW fun again gabeeg 1 2,923 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook Pro Community pre-order ending / public pre-order open on 25th Luke 8 12,731 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: mjsabby