Remix OS seems sluggish
Hello everybody.

I received my pine64 2 gig board and installed RemixOS.
Everything works great.
Bluetooth keyboard works.
WiFi works

I even installed HBONow  through Google Play and watched a couple of movies.

The problem Im having is that its a little sluggish. Im not sure if its because Im using an 8gig microSD or what?
Anybody have any suggestions?
(04-28-2016, 09:58 AM)lenwe33 Wrote: Im not sure if its because Im using an 8gig microSD or what?

Expected behaviour if you use a slow card. 'Speed class' is close to irrelevant, it's all about random I/O. Best 'bang for the buck' on Pine64: a new Samsung EVO with at least 32 GB: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...rformance/
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill pick one up and see if that improves the performance.
I have a class 10 UHS 3 card and it still is sluggish. I have test speeds using multiple methods and getting write speeds as high as 40Mbps and read upto 90Mbps. I believe this build has an issue.
Let me chip in. Which img did you use ? It seems like Phoenix imgs are effected by sluggishness during the first boot (perhaps also after - that I do not know). DD imgs shouldn't suffer from this problem however. But tkaiser is correct, it is probably the SD card ....
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(04-29-2016, 01:05 PM)arpanj2 Wrote: I have a class 10 UHS 3 card and it still is sluggish.  I have test speeds using multiple methods and getting write speeds as high as 40Mbps and read upto 90Mbps. I believe this build has an issue.

If you're really talking about Mbps then your card is clearly not even normal 'class 10'. If you're talking about MB/s instead then you're clearly not testing on Pine64 (since there sequential speed is limited to 23MB/s).

And this whole 'speed class' thing is absolutely irrelevant. And since it gets boring to repeat this again and again: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=191&page=5

There exists a simple recipe to get sluggish RemixOS/Android behaviour: Just choose an SD card that shows ultra low random I/O performance and you're done Smile
(04-29-2016, 07:17 PM)Luke Wrote: Let me chip in. Which img did you use ? It seems like Phoenix imgs are effected by sluggishness during the first boot (perhaps also after - that I do not know). DD imgs shouldn't suffer from this problem however. But tkaiser is correct, it is probably the SD card ....
Actually, the current 16GB DD image (16GB) was SO-o-o-o very-y-y-y slug-g-g-g-gish. Painful.

After reading your message, I rebooted, and it's downright SNAPPY! Wow! So much faster than the initial boot. I'll have to benchmark it, but it even feels faster than the latest DD image of Android (rooted, 16GB). So even though you turned out to be wrong about the DD image, thanks so much, Luke!  Tongue

My setup:
  • 2 GB version of A64+
  • Ethernet
  • No wifi or Bluetooth
  • SanDisk Ultra UHS-I Class 10, theoretically 80MB/s (also a great bang-for-buck deal
I'm running Chrome with 8 tabs open with several other programs occupying RAM, at least, and it's still fast.

Disappointments / challenges:
1) The biggest disappointment, until it's fixed, is that RemixOS has the same bug that the current Android has with Google Play Store. It works only intermittently. Or maybe it's a bug with some systems? Power related? 2-step verification related? Not sure what the cause, but after a while, Google Play stops downloading. Some Google apps fail with an error message, and the code DF-DLA-15.

2) Why won't 32GB images fit on my 32GB card? I've used Win32DiskImager and Rufus.

3) RemixOS isn't rooted. So, until someone shares how to do that, no Titanium Backup or other awesome apps that require rooting. Like Antu

4) The Display settings in RemixOS are rudimentary.  Most settings are, in fact. There are no Developer Options, e.g.

a. There's no way to expand things enough to read from across the den, except when I paste. Pasted text appears larger, thanks to the Accessibility settings. That doesn't help with tiny icons or text on this MyBB form, etc. I mean, I know that the box below this says "Signature", but there's no way I could read it on my widescreen TV from 8 feet away.

b. There's no width & height scaling setting. In the Android image, I used that setting to scale things to about 96%, and voila, I could see the edges of the screen. As it turns out, my HDMI / widescreen TV has a setting it calls "Overscan." Once I turned Overscan off, I can see the full RemixOS screen. So, this isn't really a disappointment with RemixOS, but rather an example of how Remix OS is rather basic in its settings, falling behind Android Lollipop.

Positives:
If you're using a computer screen with the Pine64, and a keyboard and mouse, and you're accustomed to Windows, the UI of RemixOS is so, so, SO much more useful and pleasant than Android or even Ubuntu. You can have multiple windows on the screen. You can right-click to see options. (In Android, right-click is a shortcut to Back, which is pathetically frustrating.) Windows have minimize, resize/maximize and close options in the top, right. There's a Windows-like start button in the bottom left, and a taskbar with notifications, sound, etc on the right. You can use the GUI to set everything up, easily. 

It's like Android pretending to be Windows, and failing miserably but you love it anyway since you can't have Windows 10 or even 7 on the Pine64.

The Windows-like UI has multiple, huge positives for me, actually. After multiple tries, Linux just doesn't feel right to me.
NexusDude of Central Texas
  • Setup: Pine64+ 2GB, On/Off button, RTC battery, 5V fan, LG 1.8A power adapter, Cat6 Ethernet, HDMI to TV, USB keyboard & mouse, SanDisk Ultra mSD "32GB" (28.7GB). Using Win32DiskImager.
  • Best OS experiences: Debian XFCE >> Android Lollipop > the rest

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sourround sound - Remix MrSarkasmus 0 2,791 10-05-2018, 05:05 AM
Last Post: MrSarkasmus
Star Remix OS 2.0 Image Release 20160718 tllim 25 43,701 08-30-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Idemdesign
  Remix os os 64bits ?? Matroxplay 1 4,205 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Remix OS NMancuso 111 161,907 08-01-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: wappi
Question Nginx proxy on Remix OS -- possible? mitchmitchell 1 4,663 05-29-2017, 02:45 AM
Question Remix OS 2.0 [20170105] Waaaa??? veronicasmithen03 1 4,614 05-29-2017, 02:42 AM
  REMix OS Boots and then blank Screen Michaelrowe01 6 19,217 04-17-2017, 04:20 AM
Last Post: simplexdan
  Stuck at Remix OS logo leongzhi 9 24,357 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Michaelrowe01
Exclamation LCD TOUCH SCREEN PANEL support in Remix? mcfly777 4 8,797 12-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Toriless
  Guest Account in Remix OS cannot Get Internet Connection deniyulianti 1 4,229 10-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777