Trackpad Emulation
Default Debian. Mate -> Preferences -> Mouse Preferences:

Defaults:

Two-finger click emulation: right button
Three finger click emulation: middle button

I get the left (non-emulation) button to work, sometimes the right button, but never the middle button.

I checked with xev, when I click with three fingers, the trackpad is not responding at all. When I click with two fingers, the trackpad is sometimes responding. When I click with one finger, the trackpad is always responding.

How come?
I too am not getting reliable double finger right clicks. I've tried to debug by listening on usb buses and i2c buses, but I'm not getting very far sadly
I haven't had these problems, two finger scroll works fine aswell.. Three finger gestures no good though... Haven't tried middle click!

Hardware issue? Debian issue?
Linux newbie learning programming as a hobby!

Pinebook Pro running bionic ubuntu
Rockpro64 4gb v2.1 in the NAS enclosure running omv
Rock64 1gb as a retrogaming station

Three finger click for middle mouse button emulation is not consistent UNLESS you get your finger spacing and click location right.

I was not having any problems with middle mouse emulation until I tried to duplicate your problem. Apparently my natural finger spacing and click location coincides with the behavior firmware expects.

When I use no spacing between the 3 fingers, emulation does not work. When I spread my fingers farther apart than normal, it doesn't work.

But when I use natural finger spacing, it always works. Natural finger spacing for me is approximately 5mm to 1cm space between fingers.

On touchpad location, the 3 finger click had to be in the center of the touchpad, not at the edges. Otherwise it again will not trigger middle mouse button emulation.

Try that out for yourself and see if that doesn't work.
After a lot of trial an error, I could get the middle mouse button to work one time!

I read that there are trackpad firmware updates in the making. I just wonder if they also make the middle and right mouse button clicks more '"fault tolerant" as well?
(11-10-2019, 07:29 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: After a lot of trial an error, I could get the middle mouse button to work one time!

I read that there are trackpad firmware updates in the making. I just wonder if they also make the middle and right mouse button clicks more '"fault tolerant" as well?

It was a layer 8 problem. I didn't know the difference between tapping and clicking. The right and middle mouse emulation does not work on tapping but on clicking, only.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 181 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinebook pro trackpad randomly stops working chewie 5 5,693 08-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Last Post: chewie
  How to Fix Touch Capacitive Sticker on Pinebook Pro Trackpad? NM_ 4 4,791 12-17-2020, 06:26 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  How easy is it to add donor keyboard and trackpad? ENV 3 5,004 11-12-2020, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Kaythe
  Trackpad Ghost touches after some time. Poweroff is workaround. erikbotta 4 4,558 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: gleachkr
  If you are experinencing serious trackpad issues Luke 0 2,265 06-30-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Trackpad sluggish response ravanh 17 19,720 04-08-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: chaoskampf
Question Help: Keyboard and trackpad SPI update utility broke trackpad User 11436 9 8,282 04-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Last Post: petertog
  Trackpad not working for legacy protocols? danielt 0 1,694 11-11-2019, 04:55 AM
Last Post: danielt