Powerbook Pro 64-bit
Shouldn't ARM Linux support multi-library?
Both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries installed at the same time?

That would allow running a few 64 bit programs, when appropriate. And save memory when 64 bit is not needed.

I think I will need the 64 bit user land for reliable ZFS on Linux, (and certainly the 64 bit kernel modules). Most everything else can probably stay 32 bit. Or even Thumb(2).
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-09-2019, 08:19 AM)Arwen Wrote: Shouldn't ARM Linux support multi-library?
Both 32 bit and 64 bit libraries installed at the same time?

That would allow running a few 64 bit programs, when appropriate. And save memory when 64 bit is not needed.

I think I will need the 64 bit user land for reliable ZFS on Linux, (and certainly the 64 bit kernel modules). Most everything else can probably stay 32 bit. Or even Thumb(2).

Yeah, absolutely and that's probably the way to go for most people. Running 64-bit userland just to run 64-bit userland doesn't buy anyone anything other than increased ram usage and more complication trying to get things like widevine working.

FWIW I've run 32-bit ZFS a fair bit on a variety of SBC's without any issues but I can totally see why you'd want to stick with 64-bit. You'll definitely want to start with a 64-bit base system for that, trying to rip out python3:armhf in favor of python3:arm64 is going to be a mess.
Well, I guess I will have to set up a development environment. That's why I bought a ROCKPro64 with 4GBs of RAM. Whence I get ARM64 working well, I can start the port over to my Pinebook Pro.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(11-05-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote: The kernel built in the default image is 64-bit, in fact. It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

If you want a fully 64-bit system, install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".

There does not appear to be any "arm64" for the PineBook Pro.
(12-01-2019, 09:32 PM)futurejones Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:05 AM)fire219 Wrote: The kernel built in the default image is 64-bit, in fact. It's just the "userland" (all the software running within the OS) is 32-bit on these images for compatibility.

If you want a fully 64-bit system, install one of the images from ayufan that is marked "arm64".

There does not appear to be any "arm64" for the PineBook Pro.

Images for the rockpro64 should work on the PBP...