Different ways to control Pine.
Just trying to list all the options for controlling Pine. 

Hardware
USB Keyboard/Mouse
IR receiver
HDMI-CEC
etc.

Software
IP control? - I know that Kodi can be controlled this way but will the "built in" media player that I've heard Pine mention be able to be controlled through ip control?

Thanks.
With linux you'll be able to use a remote desktop client. With android you can use something like AirDroid to control it from a PC.
You could also use the reverse and control your PC through the pine64. If the media player is not suitable, you can always download one that is.

As for hardware, you can probably use almost any HID. If there is not something compatible, you could use the I2C or SPI interfaces to connect many devices to your own software.
Short answer is: YES

You can plug your Pine64 into one of the HDMI ports of your TV and install a UPnP/DLNA compliant media player/server on it (the media player that you have heard Pine mention is likely a UPnP/DLNA compliant software). Then Install a UPnP/DLNA app (such as the popular "BubbleUPnP" on the android platform) on your cell phone. Then from the app you would select the Pine64 as both the "media server" and the "client/renderer". And you are in business. Your cell phone will act as a "IP Remote" to your PINE64 based media server/player.
But you can do a whole lot more with this technology/standard. For more info, read my long answer below... 

Here is the long answer: (It is worth your time reading this as a little bit of clarity on this standard/technology will enable you to do many cool things)

Look into software programs, apps, and hardware which have support for "UPnP" and/or "DLNA".

UPnP/DLNA is basically a universal set of standard for wireless communication between (3) type of devices which are compliant with these standards. The device types are: 1-AV Media Server 2-AV Media Client/Renderer 3-a Remote which remotely controls both the server and the rendered. This can be your cell phone acting as an IP remote (which is what you specifically asked for in your question).

A UPnP AV media server is the UPnP-server ("master" device) that provides media library information and streams media-data (like audio/video/picture/files) to UPnP clients on the network. It is a computer system or a similar digital appliance that stores digital media, such as photographs, movies, or music and shares these with other devices.

UPnP MediaRenderer DCP - which is a 'slave' device that can render (play) content. For example, most Smart TVs already have this feature built in now a days.

UPnP Remote User Interface (RUI) client/server - which sends/receives control-commands between the UPnP-client and UPnP-server over network, (like record, schedule, play, pause, stop, etc.).

I copied the above from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_...DIA-SERVER where you can learn more.

But let me give you a couple of example of how this works in real life.

let's say you have a Samsung Smart TV and an Android phone that has videos and pictures on it and both of those are connected to the same WiFi.

You simply install the BubbleUPnP app on your cell phone and open it. Under "Renderer" you will find and select your Samsong TV.
Under Library you select "Local Media Server" (as in the memory inside your cell phone).

And your cell phone would also be acting as the "Remote" device (remember it is server, client/renderer, and a remote).

As soon as you select your 3 devices you are ready to go.  Under the "Local Media Server"  all the images, audio, and video files inside your cell phone will show up. as soon as you touch a file it would play on your TV. And you will have full control to stop, Pause, Play, Fast forward, etc...

In other words you can start with simply installing an app like "BubbleUPnP app", selecting the 3 devices, and you would be good to go.

This technology gives you endless possibilities as you can pick the server, the client/renderer, and the remote on every device that supports it.

Server could be the hard drive of your Windows PC running UPnP. Or it could be a Western Digital "MyCloud" (any other NAS hard drive), or your Pine64 running UPnP software.

Rendererd/Client could be your fairly new Big Screen Smart TV (No config necessary) , Your Old TV becoming UPnP enabled with adding a Google Chromecast, your old stereo system (or any other old sound equipment which has an "AUX" jack) becoming UPnP enabled with adding a Google Chromecast audio, or your Pine64 running UPnP software.

Remote could be your cell phone, Tablet, laptop, or your desktop PC.

Any combination of the three is possible. And any time you change your mind, you can change what gets played where from where by a couple of clicks and you will always be in control.

Best part is there is not configuring IP addresses, and ports, or fancy security options. All of that is done for you automatically.
That is why the technology is called UPnP which stands for "Universal Plug and Play".

Hope you will find this helpful!  Smile

P.S. Aside from the built-in support for a Kore (the Official Kodi Remote), I am pretty sure Kodi is UPnP/DLNA compliant software.

P.S.S. As I mentioned briefly above, Google Chromecast Video and 
Google Chromecast audio are also UPnP/DLNA compliant.
Best $35.00 I spent last year was to buy a Google Chromecast audio and connect it to my 5.1 surround sound system... Wink
Hi Guys,

is it confirmed that pine64+android will work with HDMI-CEC and tv remote? Has anyone tried yet?
I'd like to use it with my television to watch Netflix but I want to be sure I can use my tv remote.

Thanks!
(04-14-2016, 05:52 AM)damy1020 Wrote: Hi Guys,

is it confirmed that pine64+android will work with HDMI-CEC and tv remote? Has anyone tried yet?
I'd like to use it with my television to watch Netflix but I want to be sure I can use my tv remote.

Thanks!

I tried it just straight out with no success. However, I'm pretty noobish in this. I didn't know if there's a setting that has to be turned on or something of the sort. HDMI-CEC works with my ps4 with no problems. I'm having trouble getting mine set up with my logitech harmony hub. I've gotten it to pair with the hub by tricking the hub into thinking my pine is a ps3, but after doing so none of the controls seemed to work. :/ I'll start a new thread for that mess, though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine's HDMI-VGA adapter SkimMilk 4 7,214 01-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: wpersin
  MAC address of Pine wifi and Bluetooth addon clawinus 2 5,777 11-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Can I plug in the Pine with touchscreen to My tv via HDMI? acv2boriqua 3 5,998 10-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Xiaomi TV BT remote on Pine? kjez 1 2,905 06-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: tllim
  ATI RF Remote Control wahdooyah 0 1,678 05-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: wahdooyah