Pine Phone/Braveheart Antenna tuning
In the past my personal experience with 'tuning' consumer device antennas with AM cb radios, and radio phones VHF & UHF mostly involved trimming the antenna to a precise length,  though sometimes this is altered by reflectivity ie near-by objects affect the SWR.

( But those were all external antennas,  so much simpler to 'tune' I am sure.)

By the scale,   I am pretty certain the smaller antenna as one inside a cell phone case is very sensitive to precise length for transmitting efficiently. 
   BUT Also,   the inter-action with the other components within such a small area,  can likely cause different lengths for this inter-action rather than just a calculated length.
 After precise adjustment,    any movement of the said antenna within the enclosure will cause changes to the antenna performance.

Since this phone is so easily serviced by the 'end user'  They should be warned to NOT disturb the internal antenna.

The smaller the antenna the more critical and sensitive the tuning.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
so you think that the tweaks on the antenna between the braveheart and the consumer edition will be hardware? this because I don't feel very able to make these changes on my own if I had to order the braveheart edition
. Not saying they will change it, but rather : "They have the needed equipment (and knowledge) for testing and tuning."
I think the 'consumer of any edition' should be extra careful to not touch the antenna.
Any movement can change the SWR (standing wave ratio)

An external antenna jack would be a nice extra for someone to experiment with, as it would give some extra options like size and the possibility of being directional.
But that may a problem in extra cost and design.
For reception bigger is better, but for transmitting precision of tuning is an absolute.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
So what could this mean when buying the bravehart edition? will it be possible to repeat these "tunings" at home to improve reception?

It's a good idea to have an external antenna, I imagine how useful it could be when you want to use the phone as a modem/router.
If by jack you mean the same jack as the headphones, I read that it is already used as UART, I do not know if it can also be used as this third purpose
No, an antenna jack would be a dedicated jack, it only carries radio frequencies.

(> It would be very complicated, it would require training and the correct equipment to tune a cell phone antenna. )

IF you had an external antenna, you could possibly tune that.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I'm reading now the last news on the site, they're talking about the tuning of the 2g antenna, they didn't answer me here on the forum but it seems just I receive an official answer to my questions directly on the site Tongue
So "thank you" for the answers
I would hope any changes to antenna soft or hardware, would be retrofit-able for those who have the braveheart version. if its software then should be easy, if its hardware something like buying an updated mid-bracket to install etc...
The 2G antenna tunning can only be performed when Linux Mobile developers implemented the phone calling. The assumption is this phone calling implementation will happen on current PinePhone developer prototype units and this means when BraveHeart version roll out, the 2G already fine tune. Please note that even in current PinePhone developer prototype units, the 2G antenna already tuned and works, just not in the fine tune level. This is just like from 8x% tunes to 95%, this concern has been overrated.
An external antenna jack would be great. Not everybody has wonderful cell service. I have a Huawei modem with a pair of them, they aren't big at least on the outside.
Yeah,
An external antenna jack for an 'Optional' antenna use, may prove useful to a few people, testers & rural users.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,366 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 915 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,178 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,546 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,290 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  External Antenna port daily driver on Verizon Billthompson 6 3,771 04-30-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: TheBusyWizard
  PWM whine near earpiece in low signal phone call and loud sound sent to the other end vortex 29 25,477 01-14-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: eugenr
Shocked Pine phone caught on fire after inserting SDcard majikbear 6 3,475 12-01-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: ryo