Bluetooth headsets - what works?
Lightbulb 
I tried to get my sennheiser hd 4.50 to pair using the included OS. It sees the headset, but fails during connect.

Has anyone had luck connecting BT headphones? 

If so, what works? Did you do anything special to get it to pair?

Also, after disabling BT from the panel app, it cannot be re-enabled without rebooting.
I had initial success with a pair of J-Lab Flex headphones, with audio playback. But after one suspend cycle, I can not pair, re-pair, or connect any BT profile via the GUI (A2DP, HFP)

The error message "Connection Failed: blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: Protocol not available" is displayed. I have not attempted CLI yet.
I had yet to make further progress on this project. I am up to date via script and manual apt-get update/upgrade.
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
BT pairing worked fine with the Ubuntu Mate image. Hopefully it can be fixed in the stock Debian.
Pairing also works with Manjaro. Selecting the A2DP profil requires a few steps (once paired, hit the play button on my headset and then manually select the A2DP profile), but audio stutters when wifi is connected (even with local audio). Clues anyone?

Note: for pairing to succeed, pulseaudio-bluetooth must be installed first.
I was able to pair some generic BT headphones I got off Amazon with Manjaro very easily. No extra steps required after pairing.
No problems pairing a Logitech speaker can (over A2DP) with my PBPro running Manjaro.

If you have troubles pairing, past experience (Sailfish OS on Sony Xperia phones) says that you could have more chance over the command line interface.

Didn't have that problem on my PBPro, but on my Dell Lattitude work laptop, I need some time to restart bluetooth between my initial pairing setup and subsequent uses (connections) If I didn't restart it before the first use connection would similarly fail. Once restarted, each subsequent connection worked perfectly.

Hope that helps.
(11-04-2019, 04:28 PM)embhorn Wrote: I tried to get my sennheiser hd 4.50 to pair using the included OS. It sees the headset, but fails during connect.

Also, after disabling BT from the panel app, it cannot be re-enabled without rebooting.

You could be missing the package pulseaudio-module-bluetooth . It isn't included by all distros. I know at least the first couple Manjaro releases lacked it.

Install that package and reload pulse audio (or maybe just restart?) 
Quote:pulseaudio -k

(11-27-2019, 08:33 AM)astdenis Wrote: Pairing also works with Manjaro. Selecting the A2DP profil requires a few steps (once paired, hit the play button on my headset and then manually select the A2DP profile), but audio stutters when wifi is connected (even with local audio). Clues anyone?

Try the performance cpu governor. It's set to ondemand i think by default and it may not be aggressive enough to deal with things like youtube.

Quote:echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
(12-02-2019, 03:28 PM)electriccrowbar Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 04:28 PM)embhorn Wrote: I tried to get my sennheiser hd 4.50 to pair using the included OS. It sees the headset, but fails during connect.

You could be missing the package pulseaudio-module-bluetooth . It isn't included by all distros. I know at least the first couple Manjaro releases lacked it.

Install that package and reload pulse audio (or maybe just restart?) 
Quote:pulseaudio -k

(11-27-2019, 08:33 AM)astdenis Wrote: Pairing also works with Manjaro. Selecting the A2DP profil requires a few steps (once paired, hit the play button on my headset and then manually select the A2DP profile), but audio stutters when wifi is connected (even with local audio). Clues anyone?

Try the performance cpu governor. It's set to ondemand i think by default and it may not be aggressive enough to deal with things like youtube.

Quote:echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, no changes. This likely is a software/tuning issue since my headset works flawlessly with the same hardware running the Android 7.1 image. Nevermind youtube, simply testing the headset from the audio panel also stutters.
< SNIP >

Quote:Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, no changes. This likely is a software/tuning issue since my headset works flawlessly with the same hardware running the Android 7.1 image. Nevermind youtube, simply testing the headset from the audio panel also stutters.

I have similar experiences with Non-PBP laptops and Debian/Ubuntu. I haven't diagnosed configuration-level issues, but discovered that this occurs when Bluetooth and Wifi are both in operation. My "solution" is to disable wireless when starting BT audio. I can generally resume WiFi after beginning audio stream.  Starting subsequent streams seems generally to behave without stuttering, and without further need to interrupt WiFi. There have been occasional exceptions.

I haven't yet tested if this behavior is dependent on 2.5 vs 5 GHz networks. I hope that this is useful in your instance!
— Jeremiah Cornelius
"Be the first person not to do some­thing, that no one has thought of not doing before’’
— Brian Eno, "Oblique Strategies"
Hello!

On default Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch), my Bluetooth headsets works some minutes,  then disconnects, even after installing pulseaudio-module-bluetooth package and WIFI off.

According to journalctl, several bugs can happen:

Code:
Loading LTKs timed out for hci0
Failed to set mode: Failed (0x03)

Suspend: Connection timed out (110)
Abort: Connection timed out (110)

Debian-Desktop dbus[407]: [system] Rejected send message, 3 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.42" (uid=1000 pid=838 comm="/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog ") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=659 comm="/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd ")

The bug can crash mplayer and youtube player (but not vlc)

According to bluetoothctl, after the bug happening, the controler is off, and this is impossible to turn it on.

Code:
[bluetooth]# power on
Failed to set power on: org.bluez.Error.Failed

Some internet users say this is a kernel bug, but this is an old post:

Quote:je pense que c'est un bug dans le Kernel puisque que quand je boote en 4.4.8 tout fonctionne correctement... A noter qu'en 4.4.9 hciconfig me renvoit toujours un timeout

(I think it's a bug in the Kernel since when I boot in 4.4.8 everything works correctly ... Note that in 4.4.9 hciconfig always sends me a timeout)

More recent link on a kernel bluetooth bug (Fedora):

Bluetooth stopped working with kernel update 5.0.16-100

Debian Stretch's kernel version : 4.4.207 aarch64...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bluetooth microphone not detected mjc 2 3,798 10-31-2020, 01:34 PM
Last Post: wrzomar
Thumbs Up 180 degree screen tilt mod - works for me! mil 2 4,202 08-21-2020, 05:28 AM
Last Post: polrus
  Soldering internal Wifi/Bluetooth antenna petet0n76 1 3,563 06-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Last Post: tllim
  NVME SSD Samsung 960 EVO Works! Tekchip 2 4,350 02-24-2020, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Tekchip
  Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe works on workstation but not Pinebook Pro mgchristensen 4 5,451 12-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Last Post: belfastraven