reboot / crash
Just chiming in I'm also getting lots of crashes rending it pretty much unusable. some time this week i should be able to make a serial cable
I have had my machine on all day, turning it off at night and on in the morning since I have received it. I have not been able to reproduce this issue.
Quote:I have had my machine on all day, turning it off at night and on in the morning since I have received it. I have not been able to reproduce this issue.

I don't turn off the laptop. I get kernel crashes on average every 24 hours. Someones after a few hours then not for 2 days.

Quote:I'm also getting lots of crashes rending it pretty much unusable. some time this week i should be able to make a serial cable

I gave up trying to set up kdump: In the path from the crash (trap) to invoking the crash-kernel, the kernel simply stops every time somewhere else. God.

Console: whenever I don't use the laptop, I wanted to switch to the console for capturing the backtrace, but I realized that these backtraces are way longer than a screen can hold and important information would be scroll off.

@kiloparsec All our hope lies in you.
so bad news and good news.
good news
have a uart connected and logging.
bad news
Laptop has not crashed yet, been 4+ hours.

Only change was unscrewing everything and flipping the uart switch, then re fasting the bottom
NOTE :
Seems MOST reports say they were using Chromium when the crash occurred, possible connection ?
Possible it is not OS related.... ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
So odd note. At home it does not seem to crash, however at work it crashes. so tomorrow i will try to log uart at work and see what we get
(11-13-2019, 07:08 PM)kiloparsec Wrote: So odd note. At home it does not seem to crash, however at work it crashes. so tomorrow i will try to log uart at work and see what we get

My  Pinebook Pro keeps on crashing.

I tried to run the 5.4 kernel to see if it this one also crashes every couple of hours. Upon booting, the screen remains black. I assume a serial console would reveal the problem.

If you are interested in trying the 5.4 kernel, here is the the corresponding thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8207

Either compile it yourself or get my deb from http://students.engr.scu.edu/~sschaeck/s..._arm64.deb. To install, make /boot writeable and install the package via dpkg -i --force-architecture /path/to/linux-image-5.4.0-rc6-gce2ff1b0ab00_5.4.0-rc6-gce2ff1b0ab00-1_arm64.deb. The deb installs the device tree blob into /usr/lib/linux-image-5.4.0-rc6-gce2ff1b0ab00/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb and you need to copy it into the /boot directory (or use the one DrYat attached dtb in above thread).
I mean, yeah it randomly crashes and reboots, but I kind of take this as par for the course at this point.
Quite obviously the OS is so buggy it is unusable - I can't hold a wifi connection for more than a few minutes and have 10 other strange bugs.

At best it is a hobbyist toy right now, completely unusable for any real work (but we all expected this before ordering, so it's ok.)

2 options - rewrite the OS/ compile your own kernel and spent many hours on it.
OR wait for someone else to make the improvements/ software to catch up.

Personally, I'm happy to be patient.
Quote:I mean, yeah it randomly crashes and reboots, but I kind of take this as par for the course at this point.

Quite obviously the OS is so buggy it is unusable - I can't hold a wifi connection for more than a few minutes and have 10 other strange bugs.

Only a few people are affected by one or another problem. Yet others aren't affected by any problem at all. This really puzzles me. How can this be on the same OS and hardware?

One explanation is that the hardware is built sloppy ... so that on some systems the wifi chip freaks out and on other systems the kernel freaks out.

Quote:At best it is a hobbyist toy right now, completely unusable for any real work (but we all expected this before ordering, so it's ok.)

I don't think we expected *this*. Known problems need to be communicated in advance. I assume whoever had a prototype (Luke, Mrfixit, Ayufan etc) didn't have any of these problems  on their laptop.

Quote:2 options - rewrite the OS/ compile your own kernel and spent many hours on it.

For this you need to be able to repro the issue.

- I can't get any kernel logs for the crashes (see email thread). I put some hope into kiloparsec.

- Someone who has the wifi drops needs to debug it. Do you see anyone picking up this task?

Quote:OR wait for someone else to make the improvements/ software to catch up.

I don't see anyone actively looking into fixing wifi instability or the crashes.
(11-17-2019, 09:26 AM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
Quote:OR wait for someone else to make the improvements/ software to catch up.

I don't see anyone actively looking into fixing wifi instability or the crashes.

In another post, I did suggest that a person who had WiFi instability, check the antenna connection.

That's a straight forward check, and could easily have come loose in tranist.

It's actually something that happened to me with my old laptop. When I replaced my the SSD, I made sure to leave the WiFi antenna cable alone. But, it came loose anyway over time. Easy fix.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video Flashing/adjusting on boot and reboot jbradley419 0 276 01-16-2024, 09:17 AM
Last Post: jbradley419
  Vertical Grey Bars on PBP Reboot MickTheGeek 5 4,799 06-04-2021, 02:43 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Gimp makes stock Manjaro KDE/X11 crash stozi 3 4,217 04-21-2021, 08:15 AM
Last Post: stozi
  Keyboard settings not saved on reboot motezart 6 7,272 11-26-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: creaverse
  Vertical Grey Bars on PBP Reboot MickTheGeek 2 3,320 10-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MickTheGeek
  Connection to specific AP fails after first reboot. DroneOn 2 3,263 07-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: DroneOn
  vertical bars reboot only mamboman777 2 3,655 07-09-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: mamboman777
Bug How about a hard power switch? + crash report Dendrocalamus64 7 9,236 05-24-2020, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine
  Pinebook pro random reboot default Debian tso4ev 3 4,663 02-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Baldnerd
  Blank Screen after reboot Sats 12 12,390 01-27-2020, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Sats