LuneOS November Stable Release: Eggnog Latte
Here's some recent news on LuneOS: https://pivotce.com/2019/10/24/luneos-oc...nog-latte/

This is a general news release (not specific to the PinePhone) on the latest OS release.
Zweitaktmotor Wrote in the general software section:

Quote:LuneOS
This comes as a WIC file and I have not found out yet how to install it.

tllim replied:

Quote:On Lune OS, just rename the wic extension to img, then dd. Try out the latest version, you may likes it.

Great, thanks, it worked.

I do agree it looks very good, but I have the same problem as with other OSs. It drains the battery very quickly and, in addition, the screen regularly goes blank. Pressing the power button repeatedly might bring it back, but I have not been able to test any of the numerous apps because of this.

My other concern is that there was regular development until 2016, then a release in October 2019 and nothing since. I know they say in their blog that various projects are ongoing but I am wondering if hey will keep pace with the other Pinephone contenders.
(02-17-2020, 08:46 AM)Zweitaktmotor Wrote: I do agree it looks very good, but I have the same problem as with other OSs. It drains the battery very quickly and, in addition, the screen regularly goes blank. Pressing the power button repeatedly might bring it back, but I have not been able to test any of the numerous apps because of this.

My other concern is that there was regular development until 2016, then a release in October 2019 and nothing since. I know they say in their blog that various projects are ongoing but I am wondering if hey will keep pace with the other Pinephone contenders.

Sorry that I didn't respond more quickly, but I'm glad you got the information you needed.

As for the pace of LuneOS development, your concern is reasonable. I have been watching the project for years and even bought a Nexus 4 and Mi A1 in order to test images. Progress over the last few years has been very slow. Most of the changes have been under the hood (related to the Halium project, QT updates, adding in improvements made in LG webOS, etc.) and have been largely invisible to the user. It's not likely to be your daily driver any time soon.

Fortunately, we have a lot of options in development, and after testing out Sailfish (my PinePhone arrived yesterday), it's clear to me that the hardware is sufficient to deliver a good user experience.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LuneOs Questions luney 3 4,176 06-26-2023, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Preemptive
  LUNEOS #03/26th version colin hodsdon 0 2,410 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Last Post: colin hodsdon
  LuneOS on BraveHeart Beattie 3 5,176 03-01-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: visiblink