Pinebook Pro won't turn on
My problem is solved. My emmc module has something wrong. even though the power led was not lit I flashed an sd card and pushed the reset button for 5 seconds or so and It turned on and booted. Lesson is the board is always powered up I am guessing even though it appears off
Hello everybody,
I've received my pinebook pro yesterday and it was working fine until I use the dd command in terminal. After this the menu of Mate disappear and the power light were flashing very fast with impossibility to do anything. So I've pressed the power button for a long time to turn off the pinebook.
And now it's definitely off. I cannot turn it on again. I've looked inside and checked what you said about emmc but it still not working.
Does anyone have an idea ? Did I crash the motherboard ?
Ok, I did the same thing then Baius and now it's ok. My Emmc module is out...
Hello piners,
I received my Pinebook Pro on monday and after flashing the emmc with dd and shutdown- I have a similar issue. Now I did use the emmc-switch and the reset-button but my pinebook still doesn' t boot.
Has anybody an idea what else I can do?
Thank you.
(01-02-2020, 10:21 AM)Gerhard Wrote: Hello piners,
I received my Pinebook Pro on monday and after flashing the emmc with dd and shutdown- I have a similar issue. Now I did use the emmc-switch and the reset-button but my pinebook still doesn' t boot.
Has anybody an idea what else I can do?
Thank you.

I would retry the dd, maybe even delete the image and download it again, first. It may be worth trying another OS option, too. If no OS options will boot after writing to the eMMC, reach out to Pine64 support.
@tophneal
Thank you!

it was realy worth to try another OS. With the Bionic LXDE image I was able to boot the Laptop after reset. The power indicator LED was red a few seconds and then green while booting the OS. So i wrote the original OS back on emmc. And now the PBP is perfect again.
Glad you're back up and running!
(10-31-2019, 01:52 PM)codebreaker Wrote: I just received my Pinebook Pro. I opened the box, and hit the power button, but nothing happens. I plugged the charger in, and I see a tiny LED near the barrel connector that is red, but then it turns off after about a minute. No other lights come on, and after a half hour of being plugged into the charger, the unit still won't power on. Any suggestions?

Just got one.  Same problem and yes I pressed and held the power button.
(10-31-2019, 01:52 PM)codebreaker Wrote: I just received my Pinebook Pro. I opened the box, and hit the power button, but nothing happens. I plugged the charger in, and I see a tiny LED near the barrel connector that is red, but then it turns off after about a minute. No other lights come on, and after a half hour of being plugged into the charger, the unit still won't power on. Any suggestions?

For me the MMC card was completely out of the socket.  If I shook the computer I could hear it rattling around.
(01-21-2020, 07:34 AM)bkepley Wrote:

For me the MMC card was completely out of the socket.  If I shook the computer I could hear it rattling around.

No power light either means no firmware can be loaded from eMMC *or* something prevents the system turning on at all. However with no hardware power LED it can be difficult to tell the difference.

Getting the back off (as documented in the wiki) and eyeballing the eMMC card is worth a go.

If you'd rather not disassemble it just yet you could also try writing a boot image to an SD card and trying booting from that; if the eMMC is not working for any reason then the machine will fall back to loading firmware from SD card instead.

One thing to be careful of. Since on and off states are, until the firmware is loaded, pretty much indistinguishable it is very important to ensure the machine really if off before trying to get it to boot from SD card. The power key works like one on most Android phones... hold it down for 15 seconds or so and you will get a hard power off... then the next press should turn it back on.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 234 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 180 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 152 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 527 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 958 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,118 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,716 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,144 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,823 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,765 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife