generall network interface issues
Hi

My name is Mario and I'm new to the Pine64 but I'm familiar with
2 RaspberryPi1 B
2 RaspberryPi2 B
1 RaspberryPi3 B
1 LattePanda (x86 dev board)

I received my The PINE A64+ w/ 2GB SDRAM 2 weeks ago and I'm still unable to use the Pine because of the overall stability,... issues.
1st the pine needs a power supply >= 2A
Ok mine has 2A and it works, my second one with (nominal rated) 2,4A won't work stable

I managed to get the images booting (most of them) but all images are unable to connect to my network (dhcp server running on my router for IPv4)
also my additionally order WiFi module creates bootloops on all images exept arch linux which do not detect the module (so also no networ)

Is there an test I can process to check if ther is something wrong with my whole board?
I prefer ubuntu linux images to make my test and ther the eth0 interface is shown

Code:
ifconfig

however no inet (IPv4) network address if assigned to it
The ethernet cable and the router work like a charm because (I use  the cable also for my other dev boards)
Also tried to set the ip static in

Code:
/etc/network/interfaces

but without luck, tha adress is assinged correctly but no connection could be astableshed by tesing to ping my router (internally activated to answer on pings)

Code:
ping 192.168.1.1

would be nice if someone could give me a few opportunities what I can test to get any network up and running because without network the Pine is useless (no updates, Android,....)

BTW:
For my boot loops with the WiFi module I will make an additional battery pack that shall support my power supply or test an supply that is pluged in over the RasPi connector because Power supplies for micro USB are mostly limited to max 2,4A (due to standard USB cable requirements limited crosssection)

best regards,
Mario Holzinger
Have you hooked up a serial console to pins 7-9 (9 GND) of the EXP connector and logged the boot yet?
Have you tried ethernet yet?
(04-28-2016, 07:20 AM)hyperlogos Wrote: Have you hooked up a serial console to pins 7-9 (9 GND) of the EXP connector and logged the boot yet?
Have you tried ethernet yet?

Thanks for the advice.
I will try to log the pins under rasbian-jessy with my RaspberryPi and look what will be dumped

What do you mean by "Have you tried ethernet yet?"
The cable and the network is running well when I plug in any of my other network devices (TV's RaspberryPi's,...)
all of them can use the network after a few seconds (after plug in that network cable)

thx
Mario
Just making sure that wired ethernet wasn't also having problems
It seems that the network service can't start properly

Attached Files
.txt   Pine64+2GB_Arch.txt (Size: 43.49 KB / Downloads: 301)
.txt   Pine64+2GB_Debian.txt (Size: 64.06 KB / Downloads: 358)
(04-28-2016, 03:58 PM)Sandman01 Wrote: It seems that the network service can't start properly

You have a 2GB board and use OS images that are outdated and therefore crash when Ethernet is connected. This is not your fault but the Pine64 guys that still prefer to feature only outdated and/or crappy OS images on their software download page.

Take longsleep's Ubuntu image from here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=376

This will give you working Ethernet. All OS images currently available could be updated with the following commands (as root):

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_uboot.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_update_kernel.sh)
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/longsleep/build-pine64-image/master/simpleimage/platform-scripts/pine64_fix_whatever.sh)

With the following command you can install a desktop environment of your choice:
Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Terra854/pine64-ubuntu-gui/master/install-ubuntu-gui.sh)
thanks for your hint, however the images are also not working for me.

still no network connection at all.
I also downloaed and instal the kernel and uboot from your scripts manually but also without sucess.
no ethernet connection so far, and WiFi is not working because it creates an bootloop :-(

the only difference I see so far is that after a few minutes the network interface assigns itselve a random netwrk address 169.254.6.125
testet the new longsleep ubuntu image.

same situation.

I will upload a new terminal dump after work, maybe someone can help me to find the missing link to my network problems.

The eth0 interface is shown with

Code:
ifconfig

and I see the LEDs blinking however no inet address is assigned from my DHCP server and no ping or other connection can be established

Sad
(05-09-2016, 04:16 AM)Sandman01 Wrote: same situation.

Maybe still same issue: powering problems. Since people are busy feeding bug trackers that work like a trash can (you throw things in and nothing will happen) or following silly workaround paths instead of following the advices given here to try to nail the problems down no progress has been made since weeks.

Some of the devs suspect that GbE related connection problems are related to underpower,inf situations, users were asked to ensure providing stable 5V to their board and report back but zero feedback so far. Since you get boot loops with connected WiFi you could also try to connect something power hungry to the USB ports. If the board doesn't boot up you know what to blame: crappy Micro USB used for DC-IN.

In that case try powering through the Euler connector and report back whether boot loops and Ethernet problems are gone. BTW: Self assigning an address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range is quite normal if no DHCP server could be reached.
(05-09-2016, 04:28 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 04:16 AM)Sandman01 Wrote: same situation.

Maybe still same issue: powering problems. Since people are busy feeding bug trackers that work like a trash can (you throw things in and nothing will happen) or following silly workaround paths instead of following the advices given here to try to nail the problems down no progress has been made since weeks.

Some of the devs suspect that GbE related connection problems are related to underpower,inf situations, users were asked to ensure providing stable 5V to their board and report back but zero feedback so far. Since you get boot loops with connected WiFi you could also try to connect something power hungry to the USB ports. If the board doesn't boot up you know what to blame: crappy Micro USB used for DC-IN.

In that case try powering through the Euler connector and report back whether boot loops and Ethernet problems are gone. BTW: Self assigning an address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range is quite normal if no DHCP server could be reached.

nail the problem down is that what I like.

I testet now with 5 different supplys always with the same behavior.
Also my preferred supply at the moment is a power bank connected at the Rpi connector (will try euler also) that supplies 3,2Amps max.

I belive the issue is on my side, and I'm very happy that you try to help me.
However my issue is a bit strange because I know from the other threads that in general it should work out of the box (100MBit connection would be enough for testing)

regards Mario

Attached Files
.txt   ubuntu_longsleep.txt (Size: 40.44 KB / Downloads: 352)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Jerky wired network ale 1 2,282 04-11-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: ale
  First time user experiencing weird keyboard issues kendew 5 6,024 06-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Last Post: rotwang
  RockPro64 ethernet issues: DMA engine initialization failed slowcamp 1 3,010 04-26-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: slowcamp
  No WIFI network discovery in any manjaro installation (but works on fedora) pineitup 1 2,827 02-02-2021, 12:13 AM
Last Post: PineSupporter
  WiFi issues Pinebook Pro sunnystormy 6 8,859 05-28-2020, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Luke
  wifi issues george2524 9 10,573 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  Network issues, possibly not booting? [Solved] Ryanteck 3 5,200 06-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Last Post: xalius
Thumbs Down Issues with Android mliebski 0 1,969 07-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Last Post: mliebski
  Performance issues chrwei 6 7,302 04-27-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: chrwei