Pine phone Hardware features, "Wish-List"
1) Phone Service
2) SMS Service
3) Internet Service  Hot spot/tethering capable  
4) Isolated/Independent GPS service
5) Screen - big enough to view comfortably
6) Battery - Bigger is Better,  easy to replace even Better
7) Decent speaker(s) Absolutely must be able to "Hear" !

These are the Features I personally consider "Important to Me"

The numbers are just because it is a list,  but if you cannot hear it what good is phone service ?
  So number 7 is as important as number one.
As far as size goes, the larger the device, can house a larger antenna, Reception improves with size,
  though transmission does require calibrated length antenna .
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Question for discussion, food for thought...
Omni-directional antenna versus directional :
With a directional antenna you can very greatly increase your transmitting range, and greatly reduce the radiation your body is exposed to.
While the omni directional antenna is much simpler to use.
If you are in a city or urban area there are lots of towers in every direction.
But in a rural area, you may extend coverage to areas that otherwise would be simply "out of range"
( Or a power switch, My old radio phone had a choice switch, 1 watt or 5 watts, or 50 watts in the truck amplifier )

An external antenna jack may prove helpful for rural use ???

8) an external antenna jack
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
To comment on your features:
3) I really like the hot spot also in usb/bluetooth version, but I think it's totally dependent on the software, so it's already a partial yes
4) quite a few years ago with my first smart phone (lg p500) I used this software for tracking https://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmid/ that worked completely offline, but I do not know if it depends on the hardware
6) I have never had problems with the thickness of mobile phones, indeed if they are too thin they seem too fragile, so a larger battery for me is ok (although I love the idea that they have chosen the most common battery on the market!)
7) the important thing is that you ear loud and clear, then sincerely on a mobile phone I prefer a mono speaker

I personally believe that the makers of pinephone have already touched the state of the art with the design of the features (I just read about the usb-c easily replaceable, you really deserve a round of applause).
I can at most add those things that are not essential, just because they are "special" features that I would like, but that I would certainly never pretend:
1) double sim: I have often bounced between two countries, I would like to be able to use two sim
2) eink monitor: you may seem utopy but I've already been owner of a motofone of motorola (also a great speaker!) and a yotaphone. A lot of color-dependent applications are precluded, but the old-style appearance, if well set, is really enjoyable.
3) waterproof: yes, I always desired to use an electronic tool in the bathtub Tongue

as you can see, there is no trace of "essential" things in my list Tongue
I just hope that as things progress we can get the PBP SoC into the pinephone second gen (pinephone pro?) and maybe get some ufs, sd express, or uhs-2 or 3 support put in for the SD card slot.
Especially if it's something that can just be hardware swapped into the original phone body like they did with the pinebook vs PBP.
(11-25-2019, 09:19 PM)gotomech Wrote: I just hope that as things progress we can get the PBP SoC into the pinephone second gen (pinephone pro?) and maybe get some ufs, sd express, or uhs-2 or 3 support put in for the SD card slot.
Especially if it's something that can just be hardware swapped into the original phone body like they did with the pinebook vs PBP.

While it would be nice to have a faster phone, the RK3399 produces too much heat and draws too much power to be useful as a phone.
I don't have the phone yet, but will order it soon. Based on the reviews I've seen:

Hardware kill switches:
- to be accessible without removing the back cover (e.g put them on side, make it possible to open only part of the back cover to make them available without removing the whole cover)

Docking station
- fully supported docking station to turn it into a "desktop"

Others will follow as soon as I start to use the phone  Wink

Cheers and Happy New Year!
I would love to see 2 SIM option working at the same time.
Would that require two separate receivers in the phone ?
I have heard of two sim phones for quite some time, but I was unaware you could actually use both sims at the same time ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Ok... I want eink display!
https://github.com/joeycastillo/The-Open-Book
Sorry Tonguee
(01-22-2020, 08:57 AM)linux Wrote: I would love to see 2 SIM option working at the same time.

++

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Microphone on Hardware Model 1.2 is Unusably Noisy In Some Circomstances ASmartSuitedSimpleton 4 3,627 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Phone will not turn on (but sometimes will) insidetrip101 10 4,376 08-18-2023, 04:28 AM
Last Post: spha
  Pine phone main board part Generaltuxenburg 1 916 07-31-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  No calls on Pine Phone Beta convergence edition polypode 1 1,108 03-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pine phone USB keyboard connection CleanEnergyCleanEnvironment 1 1,052 02-20-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Is the hardware still being developed and refined? orbital 10 4,690 09-01-2022, 08:05 PM
Last Post: orbital
Thumbs Down Phone is unresponsive theneedful 14 7,188 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Last Post: theneedful
  Phone Dead Already? MarsColonist 4 2,548 08-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: auanta
  How to check hardware revision? jojuma 1 1,502 07-16-2022, 12:28 AM
Last Post: bokomaru
  PPKB with phone; phone dies while charging SwordfishII 1 1,293 06-08-2022, 04:14 AM
Last Post: SwordfishII