Are you interested in a smaller form factor PinePhone?
Interested
46.15%
Not interested
53.85%
26 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Future device suggestion: smaller form factor
Lightbulb 
Hello

I personally am very interested in the PinePhone and would actually buy it as soon as possible, if there wasn't one thing that made it unsuitable as my daily driver; That thing being the width.
The PinePhone is 76.6mm wide according to the wiki.
The highest width that I can comfortably hold in my hand is 67mm.
Which makes the PinePhone far to wide for me to somewhat comfortably use it with one hand.
I personally would be willing to sacrifice in some other aspects like thickness.

I am adding a poll to this thread to hopefully get some vague info on how demanded this feature actually is.
In a smart phone configuration I definitely prefer about a three inch (76.6mm) or wider format, now if we are talking a 'dumb phone' ,
Then two and a quarter inches (57mm) would suit me....
The only reasons I see (personally) for one handed operation 1) Driving while surfing/texting or 2) Handicapped with only one hand.
My reason for using a smart phone is to have a screen I can see details on....
Just MY personal preference, ( I Do actually carry one of each.)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
A smaller PinePhone would be cool, but will not happen. First of all, every millimeter matters when working with a product as new to us as a phone. Secondly, the custom moulds- such as those for the PinePhone are very expensive, so its unlikely that another set will be made in the foreseeable future (or ever).
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

This is the conundrum for a smart phone. with my ageing eyes I want all the screen real estate I can get and so have got used to bigger devices to support my craving.

Of course with true convergence the device can be miniscule but we will still need a screen/display thing of some type.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Yes, I would be very interested in a smaller sized PinePhone. I would be interested in ANY smaller sized smartphone for that matter. They are few and far between to say the least. I purchased a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact and sent it back the day after it arrived because of the horrible curved screen and the pre-loaded Facebook app (among others) that could not be removed. It was just insulting. Of the newer models, I like the size of the Galaxy s10e but that is as large as I would prefer. I value utility first, use the phone as a communication device 80% of the time and would like it to fit comfortably in my pocket.

The obsession with thinness and high-res screens is silly IMHO. No one needs more than 1080p for a phone-sized screen and if companies would make the phones just a bit thicker they could go back to having decent battery life. The Pixel 4, for instance, is an absolute joke in terms of battery life and it is a very expensive "flagship" phone. Why anyone would buy it is completely beyond me.

The PinePhone is a completely different animal and I will be buying one regardless because of what it is. But I do hope that, before I die, some outfit actually makes a high-end "compact" Linux phone.
biggest issue with about any smartphone right now is the size.. 

best phone ive had so far is the old 2013 lg nexus 5... (current daily driver Nexus 6P is really way to big..)

i like the idea of mainline linux kernel support.. 

but for now the old lg-hammerhead will be my reference point for a good phone, 
hopefully someone will supply the hardware so i don't have to start a project to get next reference point of a good phone.. 

cause right now free time is in short supply..
(04-18-2020, 03:29 AM)bjorns86 Wrote: biggest issue with about any smartphone right now is the size.. 

best phone ive had so far is the old 2013 lg nexus 5... (current daily driver Nexus 6P is really way to big..)

i like the idea of mainline linux kernel support.. 

but for now the old lg-hammerhead will be my reference point for a good phone, 
hopefully someone will supply the hardware so i don't have to start a project to get next reference point of a good phone.. 

cause right now free time is in short supply..
Yep. Pixel 3 is also an acceptable size. Nexus 5 was one of my favorites. To be honest the original android phone - HTC G1. Small - could slip it into any pocket, was thicker but didn't matter because of every other dimension. Had a slide out keyboard and a trackball. I still love that form factor and often wonder what happened to miniaturizing electronics.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 246 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  Pinephone could have better cooling (suggestion) computerc 3 2,169 07-22-2022, 11:39 AM
Last Post: computerc
  wlan0 Cannot find device systemcrash.. 1 1,032 06-30-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: systemcrash..
  Suggestion: better performing pinephone coolguy129 33 30,678 10-29-2021, 06:38 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
Lightbulb SIM adapter suggestion ganaxe 0 1,242 05-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Last Post: ganaxe
  WARNING to future users ~ Order yourself a SIM Card Extender Bonesdog 3 3,943 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Bonesdog
  Future plans for hardware daniel_mazurkiewicz 10 10,862 04-09-2021, 01:52 AM
Last Post: nilclara
  Possibility of a future board revision novhack 3 3,452 01-25-2021, 04:56 AM
Last Post: y2ktibltd
  Is the PinePhone only Pine-device with hardware switches? harrm 1 2,193 01-23-2021, 12:29 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
Question alert slider in the future? ZeD 2 3,332 12-04-2020, 01:37 AM
Last Post: ZeD