How to install Ubuntu to eMMC and to install KDE (Neon)
(10-30-2019, 06:21 AM)Luke Wrote: I sometimes have the Ubuntu 18.04 + plasma act up on me and randomly crash. I have tried to trace down some obvious issue in dmesg and other logs, but found nothing.
If someone has any instight, then that would be great.

Another - minor - issue is that the battery applet doesn't work/start despite powerdevil starting up correctly.

I was running KDE via the Ubuntu repos (on microsd) and noticed it did crash occasionally, always when I was running something using sudo in a GUI, such as synaptic, so I suspect that it was linked to some permissions problem.  Switched to KDE Neon repos on a 64 bit install (again on microsd) and it seems rock solid so far (in the 6 hours I had it up and working.)
"So download all the files from here https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem and run the mrfixit_update.sh script while running from eMMC. " When I do this, I get this error message: "Syntax error: newline unexpected". I've tried v.1.1 to v1.4 with the same error. What can I do? Can't boot from microSD.
(11-08-2019, 10:21 AM)richfm Wrote: "So download all the files from here https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem and run the mrfixit_update.sh script while running from eMMC. " When I do this, I get this error message: "Syntax error: newline unexpected". I've tried v.1.1 to v1.4 with the same error. What can I do? Can't boot from microSD.

Which command you run? I run it as "sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh" and before I set the file attributes to executable.
(11-08-2019, 10:28 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:21 AM)richfm Wrote: "So download all the files from here https://github.com/mrfixit2001/updates_r...filesystem and run the mrfixit_update.sh script while running from eMMC. " When I do this, I get this error message: "Syntax error: newline unexpected". I've tried v.1.1 to v1.4 with the same error. What can I do? Can't boot from microSD.

Which command you run? I run it as "sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh" and before I set the file attributes to executable.

I set the the file to executable first and ran "sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh" and got that error message. I had previously copied ubuntu with mate img file to MMC and then could not boot from microSD.
(11-08-2019, 10:34 AM)richfm Wrote:

I set the the file to executable first and ran "sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh" and got that error message. I had previously copied ubuntu with mate img file to MMC and then could not boot from microSD.

It sounds like the update script is broken somewhere from a copy/paste. Try this:

Code:
sudo apt install wget -y

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/foundObjects/03fa5bd07260bf92862cccdfe1407b73/raw/9c0bc5f249ccea3b0d25c67fb3262a0be53d803a/pinebookpro-fetch-uboot1-1.sh

bash ./pinebookpro-fetch-uboot1-1.sh

cd /tmp/mrfixituboot1-1
sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh
(11-10-2019, 08:36 PM)Arglebargle Wrote:
(11-08-2019, 10:34 AM)richfm Wrote:

It sounds like the update script is broken somewhere from a copy/paste. Try this:

Code:
apt install wget -y

wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/foundObjects/03fa5bd07260bf92862cccdfe1407b73/raw/9c0bc5f249ccea3b0d25c67fb3262a0be53d803a/pinebookpro-fetch-uboot1-1.sh

bash ./pinebookpro-fetch-uboot1-1.sh

cd /tmp/mrfixituboot1-1
sudo ./mrfixit_update.sh

Thanks, Arglebargle. That worked! Perhaps your comment should be incuded in the PBP wiki.
Hey guys,

I can`t get Ubuntu to boot from the eMMC. I flashed according to the tutorial, then launched gparted, which told me to increase the gpt on the eMMC to match the actual size or something similar, so I did. Then the boot partition on the eMMC was FAT32, so I wrote the SD-card boot partition over to the eMMC with
sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p6 of=/dev/mmcblk1p6
I also extended the ext4-partition to consume all of the remaining free space. Now gparted looks like this on the eMMC

.png   eMMC.png (Size: 95.77 KB / Downloads: 504)
but it does not boot from eMMC with the SD-card removed. The power LED lights up orange and nothing happens. It will boot from SD when it`s inserted after a few seconds of orange LED.

What am I doing wrong?
Bjoern
Hi,

I deleted the boot partition on the eMMC and copied the boot partition from SD to eMMC with gparted instead of dd, and now it boots from eMMC! Should have read the first post more carefully...

Best regards!
Björn
As for the battery indicator, I've found that SDDM has a correct battery reading.
(11-06-2019, 10:43 PM)electriccrowbar Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:16 PM)Skywheel Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:08 AM)Wizzard Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 02:34 AM)Skywheel Wrote: Hi Wizzard, thanks for your how-to.
I'm stuck on the second step: after I finish dd LXDE image to my microsd card I insert it to PBP, boot and.... standard preinstalled Debian boots instead of written Ubuntu image. Microsd is mounted in the Debian system, but not starting on the power on.
I'm completely new to arm devices, and cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Hi, have you run the Debian update script in stock image? That icon in system tray, it should update uboot to allow booting from sdcard.

(11-04-2019, 05:06 PM)i4g0 Wrote: Hello! I tried to follow this tutorial, but after step 4, I rebooted and now the PBP is stuck in a reboot loop, and never boots. This applied for with and without the microSD card in the PBP. I ran pretty much the exact dd command, with the img from MrFixit2001's github (Debian Desktop Community Build Image [microSD to eMMC] by mrfixit2001 from https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pinebo...an_Desktop)

Has anyone else experienced this? Note: The OpenSesame screen never shows, just power on -> green light -> no green light -> power off, then repeats until I turn off the power. From my few hours experiencing the PBP I love it, and I'd like it back Smile

I am very sorry about that, but... why exactly you burned Debian image instead of Ubuntu? That OS was already installed on emmc, so this guide was meant to install Ubuntu image...

Yes, I ran the script. Today will try Mate instead of LXDE. There is almost no chance that it will change anything, but at least I try...

I'm in the same place I think. I flashed the debian image and now I can't boot from the emmc. Even worse i can't boot from the sdcard unless I have switched the emmc off internally.

Current symptoms:
- With the emmc switch on I'm stuck in a boot loop with the lcd backlight and the green power LED intermittently coming on. The green power led shows a moment of read activity before shutting off and restarting.
- With the emmc switch off i can boot off an sdcard with the mate image. Unfortunately I can't access the emmc card to reflash it.
- I've tried booting the debian image from an Sd Card and doesn't even appear to power on. No power LED, No backlight. I tried the most recent 2 versions, and the same result.

I'm not sure what to do next. I could try an OTG flash of the pro but the documentation is very not done.
Yes, we are in the exact same situation. I ordered the USB eMMC adapter from the store, and my plan is to flash the eMMC manually via USB, I'll let you know if this works.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Install Tow-Boot on the SPI Shad0w 12 7,567 09-03-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Spamiswak
  How to rewrite uboot to emmc pineitup 5 8,680 12-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Last Post: nightranger73
  Video : How to install Armbian Reforged and set it up on PineBookPro / Gaming image NicoD-SBC 0 2,718 11-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Last Post: NicoD-SBC
  Citrix Receiver / ICAClient install for armhf Arwen 7 15,042 09-14-2020, 11:02 PM
Last Post: vb_linux
  Installing Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) with BSP uBoot with deep sleep and sound Syonyk 43 52,753 07-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: SamWilts
  Using 2 OS images on eMMC for safe upgrades Arwen 0 2,327 06-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Arwen
  How to boot Manjaro from NVME with uboot on eMMC as400 47 55,721 06-07-2020, 02:37 AM
Last Post: as400
  Restoring the OS using the eMMC Adapter xircledev 3 6,835 02-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Thovthe
  Quick Guide to installing Ubuntu Unity on your Pinebook Pro andybleaden@gmail.com 19 22,993 02-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: MIchael